Low Cost Primary Replacement PFD

runner4065

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
runner4065
I'm looking for a sub $5K PFD that is a primary replacement for the standard 6 pack.

The Garmin G5 is primary for artificial horizon or turn and bank only.

The Sandia SAI 340 Quattro is primary for everything except heading and turn/bank.

Is there anything in this price range that covers everything?

Maybe newly stc'd dynon d100?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have listed that as well. Another great PFD but from what I understand, it is only primary replacement for attitude (either artificial horizon or turn/bank). They mention their "initial" STC covers attitude. Any idea if the STC will be extended? And if so, will it cover the existing user base?

No. And although the Sandia Quattro is an approved replacement for other instruments, do you really want to dump your ASI, altimeter, maybe the VSI too, to have it all consolidated onto that one little screen? It's too small to really use as a PFD. So is the G5. Both are ADIs with some added features to make managing the aircraft a little easier. But reducing your sixpack down to a tiny instrument doesn't make a lot of sense. So in my view both the G5 and the Quattro's approved replacement lists are irrelevant.

I think the smallest form factor for such consideration would be the Aspen. And that's in a whole 'nuther ballpark of price and installation costs.

Get one with the AOA feature. ;)
D100 has an option to have the AOA or there is a offer today with free HUD with a 2.5k purchase . To add to OP S question, are there anything in the market, like a combination of smaller glass equipments that would replace a 6 pack under that price point? My research tells me no, but again, newbie here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

D100 has an option to have the AOA or there is a offer today with free HUD with a 2.5k purchase . To add to OP S question, are there anything in the market, like a combination of smaller glass equipments that would replace a 6 pack under that price point? My research tells me no, but again, newbie here.

No. There's hope for an inexpensive big screen PFD eventually, perhaps, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that at 5k prices anytime soon. Aspen is the closest thing going. It's nowhere near that price.

What till Garmin and Dynon spit out an STC on their exp. pfd/mfds. Put me on the list for the G3X touch please.

What till Garmin and Dynon spit out an STC on their exp. pfd/mfds. Put me on the list for the G3X touch please.

That would be great. Unfortunately the pricing scheme doesn't look conducive to that happening in a cost-effective way. The most inexpensive available G3X Touch option is the single 7" screen without EIS or XM; that sells for $4599. Looking at what Garmin did with the experimental G5 -> STC'd G5 pricing, it was a little less than double the cost. Hard to see the single, non-EIS/XM 7" G3X Touch selling for less than $8,500. At that point I'd probably lean towards Aspen or a used G500.

The basic Aspen model is just under $5k, but is VFR only.

upload_2017-1-21_7-33-26.jpeg

This is from the Dynon Support Forum regarding AoA. It references the D10A, but the only difference between D10A and D100 is screen size.
___
The STC covers using our Pitot/AoA probe, but only for AoA. You have to install it in addition to your current pitot probe, you can't replace it.
If you do install it, it installs on an inspection cover and requires only a single pressure line run to the D10A.

G3X Touch may start at $5K but choose the bigger display and put the add-on boxes that everyone wants on it and it's $10K plus. Remote comm and txp, a couple of autopilot servos, etc and call it $14K. And that's it you install all the components, pin out all the connectors, and wire it yourself.

G3X Touch may start at $5K but choose the bigger display and put the add-on boxes that everyone wants on it and it's $10K plus. Remote comm and txp, a couple of autopilot servos, etc and call it $14K. And that's it you install all the components, pin out all the connectors, and wire it yourself.

Yeah, and although I wouldn't include the AP in comparing PFD options, you're right -- there's probably no way the G3X is ever gonna pencil out, even with an STC'd version. That's what the G500 is for anyway.

For now it's Dynon and Garmin, "ADIs with benefits" only.

It pencils out for me! My new Cub is getting the G3X wired up right now. Engine data, ADS-B compliant tip, comm, 2 axis auto pilot... I'm looking forward to it. The EX category is fun, fun, fun.

It pencils out for me! My new Cub is getting the G3X wired up right now. Engine data, ADS-B compliant tip, comm, 2 axis auto pilot... I'm looking forward to it. The EX category is fun, fun, fun.

Fantastic. It sure is. Enjoy.

that price point will never be hit. look at the experimental market now. to replace the six pack and engine package in my RV with a single skyview was right at 10k. that was for what really is a VFR system. (single screen, single AHRS and no autopilot servos) so, if it were to ever be approved for certified aircraft you would be looking at closer to 20k for an IFR multi-screen, dual AHRS, ADSB system. then dont forget the 15k for the garmin GPS box.

Back