G5 HSI w/ GTN-650

runner4065

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
runner4065
Can you drive the HSI on the G5 from a GTN-650 (as you can from the G3X)? I'm finding conflicting information online.

There is no G5 HSI unless you're experimental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you drive the HSI on the G5 from a GTN-650 (as you can from the G3X)? I'm finding conflicting information online.

In a certified airplane its locked into artificial horizon mode per STC, unless you can come up with some other approval for the additional functions.

You need a GAD-29 box which is an ARINC-429 adapter. The GTN's ARINC-429 channels hook to the adapter and only two wires from the adapter are connected to the G5 to drive those nifty functions.

The installation manuals can be found via Google search.

The FAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual Supplement spells out what it can do when installed per STC data, also online.

Last edited:
hmmm. Gotta admit a lot of this avionics stuff is still a little greek to me... but if I understand you guys correctly the G5 has the ability to be an HSI if it were only "unlocked" and enabled to do so. I'm having a G5 installed in a few weeks to function as my primary AI (PA32-301) I'm keeping the vacuum AI and just demoting it to the backup AI hole. It's needed for the Century 41 AP. I have a standard electric HSI that I'm hoping holds up for a while as it's a primary tool for IFR NAV (coupled to my 530W).

So are you guys saying that the capability is there for a 2nd G5 to replace my HSI if it ever crapped out? I understand there are some connectivity and paperwork hurdles but the capability exists??? It sure would be cheaper than installing an Aspen, although I understand the added benefits of that too.

What all is the HSI hooked to? You said 530W, in an experimental airplane a G5 could act as an HSI with the GAD29 adapter and a magnetometer.

What else is your HSI hooked to? KX155?

I don't think you can ditch the HSI under any circumstance as it is an integral part of your autopilot, century 41

So are you guys saying that the capability is there for a 2nd G5 to replace my HSI if it ever crapped out? I understand there are some connectivity and paperwork hurdles but the capability exists??? It sure would be cheaper than installing an Aspen, although I understand the added benefits of that too.

The G5 and the snazzy hsi you've seen was created for EXPERIMENTAL aircraft. Not for certified aircraft. The only reason you can use it is someone got an STC approving it for very limited use in a list of specific airplanes. That STC doesn't include the HSI feature. It may one day or it may never. Ditto with any kind of autopilot output.

I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought it was. I completely understood the HSI function of the G5 is only available for the expirimental market. My question was regarding "CAPABILITY". If it's capable then there is future hope. I also realize the G5 will potentially have the CAPABILITY to run my century 41 AP in the future.

Not counting chickens before they hatch. Just using this info to make decisions regarding panel upgrades... you know the now vs wait game.

Hope for hsi? Yes. But you'll certainly be charged for the stc for that feature at a minimum. For the century 41, probably never.

Last I saw, the Dynon STC through EAA was $100. So... I wouldn't get too hung up on buying those. (Unlike those S-Tec dudes)

Yeah STC cost won't be huge... although I bet Garmin will charge more if they do the STC...

From a recent YouTube video I watched, a guy in Australia has one connected to his GNS-530W as an HSI in his Cessna 150. He put the G5 in the upper CDI hole, and still has his GI-106A in the lower hole. Both are connected to the GNS530W. I'm not so sure that the FAA wouldn't approve of this type of install as it wouldn't be replacing any primary instrumentation. He still has all of his normal 6-pack instruments. Theoretically, the STC'd version of the G5 wouldn't be required in this config, since you wouldn't be installing as per the STC anyway.

YMMV!

From a recent YouTube video I watched, a guy in Australia has one connected to his GNS-530W as an HSI in his Cessna 150. He put the G5 in the upper CDI hole, and still has his GI-106A in the lower hole. Both are connected to the GNS530W. I'm not so sure that the FAA wouldn't approve of this type of install as it wouldn't be replacing any primary instrumentation. He still has all of his normal 6-pack instruments. Theoretically, the STC'd version of the G5 wouldn't be required in this config, since you wouldn't be installing as per the STC anyway.

YMMV!

Unless I'm missing it, I don't see how it could have much utility without a heading input. My G5 in HSI mode just shows track and lateral deviation from a GPS course, no VLOC and no vertical guidance, no heading. After messing with it for awhile for the fun of it, I concluded it was useless.

Unless I'm missing it, I don't see how it could have much utility without a heading input. My G5 in HSI mode just shows track and lateral deviation from a GPS course, no VLOC and no vertical guidance, no heading. After messing with it for awhile for the fun of it, I concluded it was useless.
Yours is installed per the STC correct? Then it will be that way.

I've mentioned several times in other threads get a field approval or call it a minor, add the "experimental" G5 (don't replace any required instruments) with the GAD-29 adapter and hook up everything the way it would be in a homebuilt. I doubt you could get a field approval without a placard near it stating "NOT APPROVED FOR IFR NAVIGATION" or similar. Call it a supplementary, non-required, situational awareness device.

Last edited:
We briefly considered that when my shop and I were planning the installation - I really want a G5 HSI at some point. However they were unwilling to connect the unit to the GTN650 and sign off on it. They were willing to run quick connectors and let me actually be the one to plug them in. In the end I decided it's not worth it to kludge an installation like that. I am hopeful Garmin will announce an STC'd G5 HSI this year. Based on the direction things are going there's good reason to hope for that.

We briefly considered that when my shop and I were planning the installation - I really want a G5 HSI at some point. However they were unwilling to connect the unit to the GTN650 and sign off on it. They were willing to run quick connectors and let me actually be the one to plug them in. In the end I decided it's not worth it to kludge an installation like that. I am hopeful Garmin will announce an STC'd G5 HSI this year. Based on the direction things are going there's good reason to hope for that.

I'm not looking forward to adding more wires to my GTN if they do LOL.

I would have said something like: "make it a molex connector, and you have a deal!"

Back