Long cross country parts list

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
On my retirement bucket list is a long cross country to visit many of the sites in America I've missed over the past 40 years. I thought it wise to carry along a few spare parts. Among them a landing light, nav lights, fasteners and a spare tire and tube*. And of course the tools/manuals to install them. Any other suggestions?

*Main gear as of now (I'm looking for a nose wheel that will use the same size tire)

If battery is old, change it, carry oil, if long trip you might need to change oil. I maybe would not bother with filter, just drain and refill oil. A good flashlight(s), duct tape and glue, some wire and a couple of connectors, multi meter.

Find a mechanic that will help you do the work on your airplane and start aquiring the tools you need to do the work it needs. Anything you don't use, dont put in the tool box. Then carry that stuff. As for parts, who knows. Be able to fix a flat is one. A couple of quarts of oil. Some cotton tshirts for rags. Window cleaner. Whatever you can carry that the plane has needed in the past. Duct tape and small vice grips can fix a lot of things temporarily.

One thing I found was mechanics on the road were pretty good about working on my plane immediately if I broke down at a remote airport. They understood. I mostly used them but carried a toolbox and it saved me once. Fixed a broken wire strut.

Last edited:
I do owner-assisted annuals. We did the last one (to include repacking the wheel bearings, replacing the prop seal and the fan belt and replacing some frayed wiring) with the tools in my tool kit-except I used an electric screw driver to remove the inspection panels and he had his compression and timing tools.
I plan to change the oil before I leave but will bring a filter and a qt of oil for top off. I suspect that if I need to change the oil that oil will be available at most airports.
I will look into LED lights (2 landing lights, strobe light, 3 Nav lights and tail beacon-it sure adds up fast)

I do owner-assisted annuals. We did the last one (to include repacking the wheel bearings, replacing the prop seal and the fan belt and replacing some frayed wiring) with the tools in my tool kit-except I used an electric screw driver to remove the inspection panels and he had his compression and timing tools.
I plan to change the oil before I leave but will bring a filter and a qt of oil for top off. I suspect that if I need to change the oil that oil will be available at most airports.
I will look into LED lights (2 landing lights, strobe light, 3 Nav lights and tail beacon-it sure adds up fast)
Care to share what's already in your toolbox for those of us a couple decades behind you on the same path?

I would probably carry a case of oil just so I don't have to go shopping on the ground anywhere. And my current plane (and all future planes if I have any say in the matter) has a quick drain for oil so I would carry a hose for that and garbage bags to contain any mess. Add the oil filter cutter and a magnetic screwdriver so I can at least start to diagnose any trouble that comes up on the way.

Since I am not the handiest guy in the world, I would take a couple quarts of oil, a few basic tools: screwdrivers, crescent wrenches, hammer, pliers, safety wire, and of course duct tape!!

If the airplane is in decent shape you won't need much of a kit. I usually carry a spare tube or patch kit if it is an odd size tire (unless your airplane uses a 600-6 or 500-5 tire many shops won't have a tire or tube on hand) and tools to change it. I also carry a couple of good used spark plugs and some basic hand tools. A few quarts of oil are also good to have on hand as well.

What I wouldn't do is go overboard on spare parts or tools. You could fill the entire baggage compartment with stuff just in case something went out and still not have the right tool or part to get the job done.

Stick to routine consumables that you know you will need like oil to top up, and parts unique to your aircraft (such as an unusual or hard to find magneto). Routine parts that are generally readily available, like oil filters, tires, etc will just reduce your available remaining payload.

I carry needed screwdrivers, spark plug socket, rachet & extension, small socket set & adjustable wrench, small torque wrench, the 1/2" & 7/8" wrenches needed to disconnect a spark plug lead, multimeter, safety wire & pliers, needlenose pliers, a small extendible mirror, flashlight & spare dry cells, small magnetic pickup tool (looks like an extendable pointer) a few spare bulbs, 2 x quarts oil, electrical tape, duct tape, a few wire ties, some extra screws/machine bolts of the correct size for the cowlings and fairings, a bit of wire & wire stripper, an old toothbrush to clean threads, little bottle of anti-seize compound, a couple of small plastic containers with lids to hold cowling screws and such, couple of cloth rags, roll of shop towels, a small container of hand cleaner, plastic window cleaner.

I also carry my cockpit cover, a set of wheel chocks and a lightweight tow bar when I am away from home airport.

Last edited:
What I wouldn't do is go overboard on spare parts or tools. You could fill the entire baggage compartment with stuff just in case something went out and still not have the right tool or part to get the job done.

:yeahthat:

I don't carry spare parts anymore, just oil (usually 3 qts), an oil filter, windshield cleaner, towels, and a few screwdrivers and wrenches. After loosing some payload and space to spare parts and never needing them during my first 3 years of ownership, I pulled them all out and left them in the hangar. Any repairs I've needed on the road were usually pretty fast. If you order from any of the big shops (like Aircraft Spruce...), they normally can have it on a plane (next day or 2-day air) or truck that same weekday if ordered before 4 pm eastern or pacific time. Only thing that really matters is how long you want to wait and the $$$ you want to throw at shipping. To many things can break to worry about them all.

I used to carry spare bulbs for the panel lights, but stopped doing that after converting them all over to LEDs.

Sounds like you're planning a cool trip that will have time to spare if needed. Unless you are landing at some remote, back country strips, I wouldn't loose to much sleep over it IMHO.

Cheers,
Brian

Since I am not the handiest guy in the world, I would take a couple quarts of oil, a few basic tools: screwdrivers, crescent wrenches, hammer, pliers, safety wire, and of course duct tape!!
No WD-40?

I figured the engine oil could be used for that, but I would probably throw a can in, just to be safe!!
Well I recognized some of those other things you mentioned, particularly the duct tape, but thought the lack of WD was a typo or something.

Money,a credit card,and a thorough maintenance check out before leaving. I only carry parts that are not readily available.

I carry:

Electrical tape, duct tape, alternator belt, oil (and funnel), tire pressure gauge (surprising how many FBOs don't have these), and a couple of screwdrivers.

Bring an extra airplane, just slap it on to the tow hitch and tow it along, double the wings double the lift too for better fuel efficiency

No WD-40?

Nope, I keep Tri-Flo and Plexus, a few rags and some hand tools (screwdrivers, socket set, needle nose pliers, Leatherman tool, tape, gloves), it all fits in a flat Rubbermaid container in the baggage area. Tie down ropes, travel chocks, bungees for the yoke when tied down overnight, spare hat, umbrella. Always have a quart of oil.

Here's my list:
Tool Box
Flashlight
Inspection Mirror
Duct tape
Rubber gloves
Small locking pliers
Allen wrenches for panel
Tire air gauge
Torque wrench
Spare tire and tube
Jack
Wheel nut tool (custom made)
Stubby Philips screwdriver
Screwdriver 6 in 1
Safety wire pliers
Needle nose pliers
Box wrench 1/4, 7/16-2, 1/2
Ratchet wrench ¼ drive
3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 Deep well
1/4, 7/16, ½ Standard
Flat and Philips driver bits
6” Extension, Breaker bar, 3/8 adapter
Combo Wrench 3/4-1" (2 halves welded together)
Spark plug socket
Spark plug tray
Wire crimpers
Voltmeter
Spare hose clamps
Wire connectors, wire, zip ties
Red Electrical tape
Spare screws, washers, etc.
Safety wire 10 ft roll
Cotter pins
Jump start plug (12v)

Here's my list:
Tool Box
Flashlight
Inspection Mirror
Duct tape
Rubber gloves
Small locking pliers
Allen wrenches for panel
Tire air gauge
Torque wrench
Spare tire and tube
Jack
Screwdriver 6 in 1
Safety wire pliers
Needle nose pliers
Ratchet wrench ¼ drive
1/4, 7/16, ½ Standard
Spark plug socket
Spark plug tray
Wire crimpers
Voltmeter
Spare hose clamps
Red Electrical tape
Safety wire 10 ft roll
Cotter pins
Jump start plug (12v)

What, no WD-40? :D

I think WD-40 is detrimental to aluminum. I have a plastic "box" that some linens came in. It is rectangular with a zipper top. In it I have oil, a pray bottle with simple green (aviation), contact cleaner, grease and rags.

I also have tie downs, U-shaped rebar and a hammer that worked great at OSH.

in addition to the above I have now corralled
-spare mag
-alternator, alt mounting bracket, belt, Vregulator
-vac pump
-hydraulic pump
-bunches of bulbs and fuses
-relays
-cylinder assy for really long trips

Last edited:
Here's my list:
Tool Box
Flashlight
Inspection Mirror
Duct tape
Rubber gloves
Small locking pliers
Allen wrenches for panel
Tire air gauge
Torque wrench
Spare tire and tube
Jack
Screwdriver 6 in 1
Safety wire pliers
Needle nose pliers
Ratchet wrench ¼ drive
1/4, 7/16, ½ Standard
Spark plug socket
Spark plug tray
Wire crimpers
Voltmeter
Spare hose clamps
Red Electrical tape
Safety wire 10 ft roll
Cotter pins
Jump start plug (12v)

So have you weighed all of that stuff? That would fill almost half the baggage compartment in my old Mooney.... :eek:

Brian

It works out to be about 4 or 5 gallons of fuel and I have plenty of room in my Cardinal. I use one of those trunk organizers in the baggage area to move the CG rearward. Cardinals tend to be nose heavy.

in addition to the above I have now corralled
-spare mag
-alternator, alt mounting bracket, belt, Vregulator
-vac pump
-hydraulic pump
-bunches of bulbs and fuses
-relays
-cylinder assy for really long trips

Any anecdotes as to having to use any of the major items on the list on a trip? The one I note missing is a spare electric fuel pump (I assume the Vike must have one being a low wing)?

Or does having them assure one will never need them, but the first time you leave one behind... :)

Back