Any reason not to switch my nav data scription from Jepp to Garmin?

bkspero

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bkspero
The Jeppesen NavData subscription for my GNS-530w is about to expire and I am considering switching to a subscription from Garmin. Currently I subscribe to the East-Central Jepp Navdata and have locked in the next year for $332 (but not yet paid). Garmin charges $299 for the whole USA (no East/Central option). I have no plans to fly out of the East/Central region, but having that data seems like a nice benefit along with a $33 savings. Garmin told me that their data will function identically to the Jepp data.

Beyond the need to buy a new burner for $70, are there any other downsides to switching nav data suppliers? Does anyone know of someone having a bad experience with Garmin nav data for a 430w/530w?

I didn't even know garmin did nav data, thought they just did the terrian and stuff.

That might be a good reason not to switch navdata to garmin.

What are you saying, JOhn? That Garmin's has only offered nav data for the 430w/530w recently so that it should not be trusted? Or do you know another reason for concern?

what kind of burner does Garmin require?

They introduced a new burner when they started selling nav data. It will burn their nav data, terrain data, and obstacle data. It replaced the old Garmin $200 burner that only did the latter two. They told me that the Jepp NavData burner will not burn Garmin nav data.

I believe one difference between the data is that Garmin splits ILS and LOC approaches into two different approaches whereas Jepp combines them. What this means is that intermediate fixes applicable only to the LOC approach are shown in the Garmin data when the LOC approach is selected. Jeff Van West reviewed this in a recent IFR focus but I can't find it to reference here.

Garmin has been offering nav data for a while. Their subscription also has terrain, airport data and obstacle updates included.

I'll be switching when mine expires.

Garmin has been offering nav data for a while. Their subscription also has terrain, airport data and obstacle updates included.

I'll be switching when mine expires.

I know that the $449/yr bundle has all 3 included (USA version). The $299 variety has, I think, only the navigation data.

It sure if it means anything but when I purchase my Cirrus with a brand new Garmin Perspective +, they said the only way to go was Jepp. Seems odd they partner with Garmin but recommend Jepp. Grains of salt

Garmin gets their nav data from Jeppesen. Presumably, they are packaging it better for their avionics than Jeppesen does.

How did you get $332 for jeppesen nav data? They want $360 from me!

Our renewal with Jepp is up for 2 530W databases and charts. I ended up with a large enough discount on the iPad/Jeppview renewal to stay with Jepp. From what I understand they will give you 1 or 2 keys for the iPad/Jeppview to renew your database. Not sure if they offered me 2 keys since we have 2 database subscriptions. Might be worth a call if you want their charts

I've got a Garmin G600, 530w and 430w in my new plane. Thank goodness for Garmin. Their so-called OnePak package for all three devices with nav data, terrain and obstacles is a tremendous savings over the Jepp a la carte pricing. Downloading the data is quite easy on the fly.garmin site. I have an extra new reader I bought by mistake and would be glad to sell it. Just been too lazy to put it on eBay. How about $55 shipped in USA.

I paid Jeppesen $440 back in November for my subscription. Sure wish I had known about this then. Jeppesen has had a monopoly for too long.

I've got a Garmin G600, 530w and 430w in my new plane. Thank goodness for Garmin. Their so-called OnePak package for all three devices with nav data, terrain and obstacles is a tremendous savings over the Jepp a la carte pricing. Downloading the data is quite easy on the fly.garmin site. I have an extra new reader I bought by mistake and would be glad to sell it. Just been too lazy to put it on eBay. How about $55 shipped in USA.
Hey... I'm only a month late to the party. Sent you a PM.

Another good reason is because they don't support all of their products.

Before switching to Garmin, find out whether they sell data for your unit specifically. They do not offer 100% coverage so be careful.

Another good reason is because they don't support all of their products.

Before switching to Garmin, find out whether they sell data for your unit specifically. They do not offer 100% coverage so be careful.
I saw that myself. They offer nav data for the 530W but my 530 is SOL.

My Jepp expires in April so I was going to switch to the Garmin bundle. They don't seem to offer one for the non-WAAS 430 so I guess I will be renewing with Jepp

I posted this in another thread but Garmin doesn't appear to let you download the data to program the card offline. Kinda makes it a hassle if you don't have wifi at the hangar.

If you call Jepp and tell them you can get a better deal elsewhere, they will give you a discount. I called them to cancel my sub after I signed up with Garmin one pack, and the Jepp guy said I should have called them first. Since it was already too late I told him he should have given me a better deal years ago and I wouldn't have switched! Jepp was good about giving me a refund on my unused subcription.

BTW, I did have some problems with the Garmin nav-data not having all of the info when I first started using it, but if you see an error and tell them about it they will fix it ASAP!

~Marc

I posted this in another thread but Garmin doesn't appear to let you download the data to program the card offline. Kinda makes it a hassle if you don't have wifi at the hangar.

How is that a problem? You download the data into a spare card (they cost peanuts nowadays plus Garmin gives you two upfront) and bring that to the plane. Take the old one back for reprogramming next cycle. What am I missing?

Last edited:
How is that a problem? You download the data into a spare card (they cost peanuts nowadays plus Garmin gives you two upfront) and bring that to the plane. Take the old one back for reprogramming next cycle. What am I missing?
Not everyone has a spare data card.
I wish they cost peanuts. A bag of salted roasted peanuts I buy costs $1.59 which is nowhere near the cost of a Garmin card. Oh wait, it's pretty close. Just remove the dot. :D
But I agree, having a spare card solves the problem.

Not everyone has a spare data card.
I wish they cost peanuts. A bag of salted roasted peanuts I buy costs $1.59 which is nowhere near the cost of a Garmin card. Oh wait, it's pretty close. Just remove the dot. :D
But I agree, having a spare card solves the problem.

Salted peanuts are unhealthy. The ones I buy are healthier and cost a bit more. Here is a micro SD card that works great and costs less than $7. Garmin also throws in two of them with the purchase of a GTN (or at least did with mine). Do you need more than two? In any case, I think it's a pretty good deal that works well, per personal experience over the last few years.

Is it necessary to buy the data card from Jeppesen, or will the SanDisk one at RotorDude's link work?

Is it necessary to buy the data card from Jeppesen, or will the SanDisk one at RotorDude's link work?

I'd just make sure it's Class 10, as I do for other apps.
My avionics guy once told me Garmin insists you only use their approved cards, but I have never had an issue using generic ones.

Back