Favorite pizza thread

I figured. "Tomato Pie" seems to be a very NJ thing. I grew up in North Jersey amongst the Jersey Italians.

I only lived there my HS years, dad was career military. All the relatives are there in South Jersey. A bit of difference in N. Jersey and S. Jersey Italians I think.

I live down the street form a pizzeria, I get classic pepperoni or pepperoni and bacon. The best I've ever had was a real Chicago deep dish, I ate 6 slices and nearly puked, this was during my high school Honor's band trip.

Hey Jim, how's the cigarette deal going? Well I hope.

My favorite kind of pizza is a hot one. Followed by a warm one. And I appreciate a cold one.

If I'm in a position to be choosey, I LOVE me a Chicago style deep dish.

I like Papa John's for my go-to chain.

And a local/regional chain here called Dion's.

I've been known to order a few pizzas from Giordano's and have them shipped in for special occasions. Good stuff! The sweet spot is to order 4, due to the shipping costs. Comes out around $25 per pizza.

Edit, just checked their site and they've switched things up on the ordering. Now there's a 6-pack that's even cheaper per pizza!

New York, sausage sliced (not that abomination known as pellets), a little char on the crust bubbles. Folded in half so the orange grease runs down your arm not your chin. Best version I ever had was just out the back gate of Grumman's flight test facility on Long Island, now almost certainly long-gone. Second-best is margherita in a woodburning oven with real mozzerella and fresh basil. Had lots of excellent ones including last night's. Deep dish is good but not my favorite.

My time in St. Louis was the darkest of my pizza-loving days.

Nauga,
Who knows provel has never seen the inside of a cow.

Lou Malnati's in Chicago. Keste in NYC (napoli-style). Waldo Pizza or Minsky's at home (Kansas City).

I love Lou's. You can get frozen Lou's sent you your house, and they're amazingly good.

Around these parts, I like Your Pie, which makes individual pizzas only, and hearth bakes them. I try to avoid pizza chains with convection ovens, the crust is just not right.

Leonardo's in Gainesville, Fl.
Thick crust, crunchy on the bottom, good sauce, though a little sweet, and tons o' cheese.
Have you tried the garlic knots? Used to get them every time I went to GNV.

Have you tried the garlic knots? Used to get them every time I went to GNV.

Haven't. Might have to swing by if I go down to Sun 'n Fun this year. Been a while since I've seen the old Alma Mater.

I liked the thread where @SixPapaCharlie went to Chicago to get a pie from that place... you know, whatcha ma call its...

Its called My Pi and everyone should fly to Chicago and try it.
In hindsight, that was a little crazy. But it was good!

Pizza - it's a lot like sex.......
When it's good it's REALLY GOOD
When it's bad ......it's still pretty good !

I don't know about that. I once had one in west Texas that was so bad the box it came in might have tasted better.

Okay, pizza trivia. This building has historical pizza significance. What was it?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.564...4!1sK9-2rB3sQg7_VGsLG2UCGA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It was the first restaurant where you could get a whole day's meal in one pizza. It was one third breakfast pizza with eggs, sausage, bacon or ham. It was one third lunch pizza and one third dinner pizza with any toppings you could imagine. It was the brainchild of Sergio Rigolotto who immigrated from San Igniasilia, Spain. The pizza was cooked in wood fired oven which used maple wood exclusively. Rigolotto died in 1998 but his legacy of the whole day pizza was carried on by his step son David Specacio until 2004 when the restaurant closed down for health violations.

yeah....I made that crap up. Why don't you just tell us?

We enjoy a p.epperoni pizza from Costco. That sucker is covered with pepperoni and cheese for $8.99
OMG!!! Pizza from a Big Box!!

maxresdefault.jpg

It was the first restaurant where you could get a whole day's meal in one pizza. It was one third breakfast pizza with eggs, sausage, bacon or ham. It was one third lunch pizza and one third dinner pizza with any toppings you could imagine. It was the brainchild of Sergio Rigolotto who immigrated from San Igniasilia, Spain. The pizza was cooked in wood fired oven which used maple wood exclusively. Rigolotto died in 1998 but his legacy of the whole day pizza was carried on by his step son David Specacio until 2004 when the restaurant closed down for health violations.

yeah....I made that crap up. Why don't you just tell us?

Sigh.

That is the original Shakey's restaurant, opened in 1962. The building has been remodeled, but it is still the original building. I forget when they closed, but they were still a Shakey's when I was a starving student. Ate there many times.

Hey, I took a shot.

Last time I had Shakey's pizza was while I was stationed on Okinawa. They had weird things on some of their pizzas such as corn, squid and cuttlefish but their dessert pizzas were really good.

I don't have TV.
They are really inexpensive now. Sourced from China.

Even more reason to tune out. Maybe after the 20th a new Zenith factory will open up conus.

Back when I ate pizza, I could actually make a pretty good one.

1. Make crust from scratch using flour, water, oil, and yeast.
2. Let it rise a couple times and beat down.
3. Roll out on a pizza pan.
4. Slice one brick of mozzarella into thin pieces, cover the crust.
5. Cover with about a pound of cooked ground beef.
6. Place sliced mushrooms and pepperoni.
7. Cover with pizza sauce. Put on lots of parmesan.
8. Bake.

As other have mentioned, Lou Malnati's is great. White Cottage Pizza in the Chicago area is also very good.

Back