Cirrus Engine Out: Didn't Pull Red Handle

Wow, they came to a stop just 75 yards from a 700 foot cliff! :eek: I guess if they failed to stop before the edge, the parachute would have been the last option. But good for them that they were able to put it down and walk away safely

Seems like he thought through the situation and made what he believed to be the right choice. Glad to hear they came out well.

Pull during the rollout! Like a dragchute!

drag_chute_viper_by_copperbeltjack.jpg

Anyone have ideas what happened to the gear? It's like it was cleaned off early in the landing roll.

After the gear was gone that plane must have been like a bobsled. I remember using a garbage can lid when i was a kid to rip down hills in upstate NY.

Go parking in car risk a fine or trip to magistrate..
Guy goes parking in a plane and makes the news and gets a free chopper ride...
yet another reason to join the elite 1 percent.

Glad they are ok as well

Do they recover wreckage like that or leave it there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dang Cirrus engine conking out again!

Looks like a scene from a James Bond film on that plateau. In the movies, it would've slid farther and the fuselage would be overhanging the cliff.

Dang Cirrus engine conking out again!

Looks like a scene from a James Bond film on that plateau. In the movies, it would've slid farther and the fuselage would be overhanging the cliff.

Naw. In the movies it would have slid clean off the edge at high speed and James would save himself, and his latest Bondgirl, drifting down into the canyon after a brilliantly timed chute pull.

I do wonder why Cirruses attract so much attention. We just don't seem to hear many reports of chuteless piston Malibu owners buying the farm after their big bore turbo-Lycomings pack it in?

Last edited:
Wait wait wait wait...you mean you can survive an engine out in a cirrus without pulling the chute?!! Are you sure this wasn't reported on "The Onion"?

Wait wait wait wait...you mean you can survive an engine out in a cirrus without pulling the chute?!! Are you sure this wasn't reported on "The Onion"?
Yes but either way, chute pull or gear landing, the plane is a write off

Well done mr cirrus pilot, thought it through instead of painting by numbers, seems he made a good call between the ledge and the likley higher winds on that plateau.

Anyone have ideas what happened to the gear? It's like it was cleaned off early in the landing roll.

If the show is really that deep and powder, heck, the gear might still be on it.

I'm sure this has been asked before but why is it that it seems Cirri has more engine outs than other planes? Or is it just because the deployment of the chute seems to make news more so than other emergencies. Love the plane but all this news of engine failures makes me nervous...

Do they recover wreckage like that or leave it there?

I'm still honestly curious what happens in cases like this.

I'm sure this has been asked before but why is it that it seems Cirri has more engine outs than other planes? Or is it just because the deployment of the chute seems to make news more so than other emergencies. Love the plane but all this news of engine failures makes me nervous...

The Cirrus total fleet size is now quite significant, I have seen stats that on average they get flown more hours and I recall some stats here on PoA that showed their engine failure rate (by cause) wasn't all that different compared to other aircraft in the same category.

What this pilot dealt with is what deters me from all singles including Cirrus. I fly several trips a year from the Rockies Front Range, where I live, to the coast, where I grew up and still have a lot of family and many friends. There's a lot of rough and remote vertical territory to traverse in between. I have a friend who has been flying the same route for years, IFR in his Mooney 231, without incident. I sometimes envy his speed and economy. But he flies solo, and I often take my wife, other family and friends. I have thought seriously about a used SR22 or 22T. But the thought of descending under a parachute, getting slammed sideways into the terrain by the incessant winds, and tumbling into the canyon below puts paid to that idea...

Edit added: Regardless of my view above, there is imo no arguing the statistical validity of the lifesaving value of the chute across the entire spectrum of GA flying conditions.

Last edited:
The cirrus gear is only designed for a few landings at most,that is why the chute was installed.

I don't understand why Cirrus doesn't just put helicopter skids on those things, make the chute easily repackable, and make every landing a chute pull? Put some teeth in that "Pull early, pull often" slogan. :rolleyes::D

Yes but either way, chute pull or gear landing, the plane is a write off

That's not necessarily true. I know of at least 1 Cirrus that was returned to flying condition and actively flies after the chute pull. I even saw the bird with my own two eyes at sun n fun one year

That's not necessarily true. I know of at least 1 Cirrus that was returned to flying condition and actively flies after the chute pull. I even saw the bird with my own two eyes at sun n fun one year

Somebody on this board owns one of those, but they are in an very small cohort. Only a handful have ever been rebuilt as I understand. I don't think Cirrus intended the planes to be recoverable so I wonder who developed the approved repair procedures for that to occur?

Even the poh states that the chute pull will result in damage. But alas I did some digging 14 planes are flying after the chute has been pulled. Scroll to the bottom of the his link https://www.cirruspilots.org/copa/safety_programs/w/safety_pages/723.cirrus-caps-history.aspx

I was about to post the same thing. There are quite a few flying again after parachute landings.

I'm still honestly curious what happens in cases like this.

The flattops are not passable this time of year. They said 4-6 feet of snow in the article but the truth is there are snow drifts well over ten feet. They likely recovered it with a helicopter. I'm betting insurance paid for it. NTSB will want a piece of the action too. There are several heavy lifters in the area and they have moved airplanes out of the area in the past (although the last story I heard ended up with a totaled airplane because a strap slipped.)

I was about to post the same thing. There are quite a few flying again after parachute landings.

The flattops are not passable this time of year. They said 4-6 feet of snow in the article but the truth is there are snow drifts well over ten feet. They likely recovered it with a helicopter. I'm betting insurance paid for it. NTSB will want a piece of the action too. There are several heavy lifters in the area and they have moved airplanes out of the area in the past (although the last story I heard ended up with a totaled airplane because a strap slipped.)

Thx. Was curious because of where it ended up, isn't that in or very near a Wilderness designation area? No motorized access, but at the same time, I'm sure they don't want to just leave it there.

Thx. Was curious because of where it ended up, isn't that in or very near a Wilderness designation area? No motorized access, but at the same time, I'm sure they don't want to just leave it there.
Yep, a big chunk of the flattops is wilderness. I'm not sure if the exact place they landed is wilderness but just looking at a map, it doesn't look like there are any roads there. Land based recovery would be impractical. I'm sure if they waited until the snow melted it would get more damage from shifting on the melting snow.

Even the poh states that the chute pull will result in damage. But alas I did some digging 14 planes are flying after the chute has been pulled. Scroll to the bottom of the his link https://www.cirruspilots.org/copa/safety_programs/w/safety_pages/723.cirrus-caps-history.aspx

That is about one in 4 of the 71 survivable chute pulls were rebuilt, which is more than I would have expected. I suppose it depends on the insurance company?

Puts a new meaning to that ever popular representation..."no damage history" :)

Yep, a big chunk of the flattops is wilderness. I'm not sure if the exact place they landed is wilderness but just looking at a map, it doesn't look like there are any roads there.

There doesn't seem to be any roads going over/through, but I-70 is just to the south and hwy40 is just to the north of that wilderness area. If it were me, I'd deviate a little bit in order to follow one of those roads.

Just sayin'...

Somebody on this board owns one of those, but they are in an very small cohort. Only a handful have ever been rebuilt as I understand. I don't think Cirrus intended the planes to be recoverable so I wonder who developed the approved repair procedures for that to occur?

That would be me. CAPS pull in 2014 and rebuilt in a few months. I believe there are at least a dozen that were rebuilt - including one that was subsequently fatally crashed.

Go parking in car risk a fine or trip to magistrate..
Guy goes parking in a plane and makes the news and gets a free chopper ride...
yet another reason to join the elite 1 percent.

Glad they are ok as well
I'd wager that he gets a bill for that ride equal to the cost of repairs to his airplane.

Maybe someday the press will label these incidents what they really are, an engine out off airport emergency landing.

Or maybe just an emergency landing.

I guess it's too much to ask. Crash provides so much more drama and pulls in the eyeballs.

MEEKER, Colo. (KKTV) 11 News is talking to the Colorado Springs man who, along with his wife, survived a plane crash over the weekend.

Maybe someday the press will label these incidents what they really are, an engine out off airport emergency landing.

Or maybe just an emergency landing.

I guess it's too much to ask. Crash provides so much more drama and pulls in the eyeballs.
Yeah, the shock factor is what they are going for. But if his landing gear is sheared off, is it an off airport crash landing?

Back