Why AWOS's don't make it to METARs

BobS

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BobS
[font=verdana, arial] I sent an e-mail inquiry to the National Weather System ADDS webmaster, asking why is it that many AWOS reporting stations do not make it to the METARS, so although we can pick them up in flight we cannot use them for planning purposes. I thought I'd share the quick, thorough, and well-reasoned response from a government agency that works![/font] [font=verdana, arial]"Thanks for your inquiry and concern. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do on this end from an NWS perspective. Many local airports across the state, as well as the country, have been fortunate to generate the funding to purchase AWOS equipment to obtain current weather conditions for their location. While establishing these sites however, they are generally not fully informed of the requirements needed to make this data available over the worldwide network used by the FAA and NWS. The FAA controls the stream of data from small airports such as these and requires the individual sites to purchase additional equipment and pay a monthly fee to send the data in to their system. This is the only way the data can get in. The FAA owns some AWOS sites and collects data from these sites, which is why you will see some AWOS data but not all. Many states have stepped in and contracted an outside company to access those sites and report the data.
the National Weather Service is in the same situation as yourself. We would love to see the data in the system as it would go a long way in assisting us with forecasts, warnings, verification, etc. What is needed is for the aviation community in conjunction with local county and city officials, many of whom were involved with the public purchase of the AWOS equipment, to come together collectively across the state and lobby the state legislature to fund this endeavor. "
[/font]

BobS said:
[font=verdana, arial] I sent an e-mail inquiry to the National Weather System ADDS webmaster, asking why is it that many AWOS reporting stations do not make it to the METARS, so although we can pick them up in flight we cannot use them for planning purposes.[/font]
Most AWOSes have a published phone number so you can call and get the recording before departure.

True, we can get them by telephone or by radio while in the air, but they are not available to the weather briefers or the NWS for forecasting model verification. They are also will not show up on cockpit weather units including the Garmin 396. I often use the Java tool at http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/metars/ to quickly scan specific conditions over a widespread area. It seems unfortunate that the governments pay the big cost of buying AWOS equipment but not the smaller cost of linking the data to the NWS.

Everskyward said:
Most AWOSes have a published phone number so you can call and get the recording before departure.
Call 1877-ANYAWOS (1-877-269-2967).

As I understand it there are two pieces to the puzzle. To be included in the METAR stream the AWOS has to have a modem capability (which is basically what the NWS told you). Beyond that, the airport must have an ICAO airport code, and not all airports are willing to change their codes (for example, Chester County, 40N, does not report into the METAR stream). Likewise my home airport (N99) cannot join the stream when our AWOS gets installed.

There is a system under beta test that is gathering much better data than the NWS gets for about a dozen airports. Check it out at:

http://www.stanwyckavionics.com/pages/1/index.htm

I think there is more to it than a modem. There was just a meeting in Boulder about this subject. The FAA controls pretty tight who can submit data and it costs enough to concern local governments. NWS, NOAA, and even lower levels of the FAA are all in favor. Higher levels seem to have little interest. This conference was western states and Federal agencies. The Colorado Pilots did manage to get two folks invited. They reported that at least there will be studies for alternative ways to get the data in the system. The higher level FAA attitude was reported as very disappointing.

We're getting way beyond my knowledge here, but since the FAA is involved in the approval process for AWOS installation (at least with the one here at N99) then I have to assume that they can approve or disapprove data comm for the unit. AFaIK, all airports in my neck of the woods which have modern AWOS units and ICAO airport codes contribute METARS. I can't think of any exceptions, but maybe there are -- in southeast PA and southern, NJ, these airports would be (in no particular order), KPHL, KPNE, KILG, KABE, KLNS, KRDG, KNXX, KPTW, KLOM. KDYL, KWRI, KVAY, KTTN, KACY, KWWD, KMIV, all of which report METARS (but not necessarily TAFS).

RotaryWingBob said:
We're getting way beyond my knowledge here, but since the FAA is involved in the approval process for AWOS installation (at least with the one here at N99) then I have to assume that they can approve or disapprove data comm for the unit. AFaIK, all airports in my neck of the woods which have modern AWOS units and ICAO airport codes contribute METARS. I can't think of any exceptions, but maybe there are -- in southeast PA and southern, NJ, these airports would be (in no particular order), KPHL, KPNE, KILG, KABE, KLNS, KRDG, KNXX, KPTW, KLOM. KDYL, KWRI, KVAY, KTTN, KACY, KWWD, KMIV, all of which report METARS (but not necessarily TAFS).

I'm on shaky ground for the details too. I asked the same questions when our reps gave their report. Doesn't make technical sense. If I understood, it is not so much the installation as it is the system they feed into, old technology and security. NWS accepts data over the web, not the FAA yet.

If it is a FAA sponserd installation no problem.

TeenDoc said:
Call 1877-ANYAWOS (1-877-269-2967).
I had heard of this service before but had never tried it until just now. Seems like it would be good if you don't have the AWOS phone number handy or if you have to pay extra for long distance. Otherwise it's a little bit more button-pushing and listening to their promo message.

Everskyward said:
I had heard of this service before but had never tried it until just now. Seems like it would be good if you don't have the AWOS phone number handy or if you have to pay extra for long distance. Otherwise it's a little bit more button-pushing and listening to their promo message.
True, but it's free, the "premium" subscription, which I don't use but have tried, has no ads. I prefer to check the AOPA Airport Directory and AIRNAV for the AWOS telephone number.

Resurrecting an old post that came up when searching for an answer...

The NWS response in the OP makes sense but why do these airports show up on aviationweather(dot)gov under METARS? For example U42 shows up on the aviation weather site yet is not available on in cockpit weather platforms.

Back