Your Second Most Expensive Hobby

Airboat with 700hp LS3.. Just as expensive to acquire, burns more gas, tries to eat itself every time you start it, inspires stupid attempts to go places you shouldn't, and gets way more attention at the gas station..

Airboat with 700hp LS3.. Just as expensive to acquire, burns more gas, tries to eat itself every time you start it, inspires stupid attempts to go places you shouldn't, and gets way more attention at the gas station..
Sounds like my ex wife:cornut:

Bicycles.

Gave up on everything else,though an occasional round of trap may become a real habit soon.

Cars, Guns, Motorcycles. And why in the world would you want to keep track of the money spent. It is about the smiles per mile or round that matters.

Being a fighter pilot has to be at least a tie for most money out of my paycheck. (lots of hidden financial costs)

After that, travel, motorcycles, guns, dogs - it was skydiving for a while but I've basically quit that - no time!

Why would you ever jump out of a plane voluntarily when you can skydive while inside a F15? :cool:

Oh, I don't know....play chess......screw...

Same for me. Flying is #2. My wife does not breed horses but we have horses and spend more on them than flying. My wife's parents were horse breeders and show judges in multiple horse associations like Quarter Horse, Palomino, Paint's and etc. It's in her blood. She was riding horses before she could walk. At least she never gives me any grief over my plane.

Reading your post sounded like I might have written it. :)
I attribute it to more than something in the blood, I think its a genetic defect, unique to many young girls and women, something in the DNA.
If I had known about this when I was a teenager with hormones, I might have hung around stables given the M/F ratio. But now I realise that would have been futile - boys have no hope of competing for attention against the horses.
Around my place with every new horse I move one more slot down the food chain in the family. I tell everyone when I die I want to come back as one of Mrs. GRG55's horses - they get treated better. :D

Why would you ever jump out of a plane voluntarily when you can skydive while inside a F15? :cool:

Or any plane for that matter? Fun to do the "Vomit Comet" thing if pax are willing.

My first most expensive hobby last year was travel (the kind I pay for myself).

Fishing is more expensive than Flying.

Back when I was going offshore often a typical trip including everything normally costs $800 a day, that's not including maintenance items, tackle or gear.

For example, blow a lower unit that's 3000-4000, blow a power head 2500-5000, The reels are anywhere from $200-600 the rods $100-300.

And that was on a twin outboard...the diesel guys are much worse.

Flying is cheap in comparison.

Amateur Radio, Firearms, Computers, Camping gear, Workshop tools, Electronics and test equipment... they all vie at different times for budget and time.

I have a $3500 mountain bike and a $2000 road bike. Everyone I ride with thinks it's a super expensive hobby. I think it's the cheapest possible thing I can do. I also play golf but I am one of the lucky few to make positive money doing that but the time costs more than I'd like...

My other hobby is Corvettes and particularly vintage Corvettes and restoration. And you think airplane parts are expensive! I haven't been as active over the past few years as flying has been consuming my disposable income and time.

I own (if I'm counting them all) at least 10 bicycles of various types, mostly recumbents.

Probably horses. Although I usually win or at least break even at the track, I'm sure I spend a lot more in gas and in time that I could be using more productively elsewhere.

I could, of course, just use OTB. But it's not the same.

Rich

My travel addiction financially rivals my flying addiction. I'm not sure which one wins out on highest cost... guessing flying, but I try to keep my head in the sand when math is involved.

Travel gets more expensive when you combine it with flying. ;)

Hard to say. In terms of dollars currently tied up, it'd have to be motorcycles. Our motorcycles are worth more than our cars/trucks (including the semi), but they're a pair of Harleys, hence the cost. Otherwise I'd say house projects. Our house is in a perpetual project state. We have projects planned out to after 2020.

Old houses and old cars. This huge old house in MA should really be my last. They're both just like airplanes, nothing that money can't fix.

You bought one? Pictures? I'll have to go find the semi thread.

I did, but didn't post much about it. Let's just say the story isn't over yet. ;)

I spend a lot of money on travelling/vacations. Hunting would be the next expensive, especially if the trip to Wyoming later this year works out.

Car restoration. I've done a 1978 MGB, a 1979 FJ-40 Land Cruiser and I'm currently working a 1962 Willys Pickup.

Car restoration. I've done a 1978 MGB, a 1979 FJ-40 Land Cruiser and I'm currently working a 1962 Willys Pickup.

Cool, always liked the Willys. I started a TR6 years ago and gave up due to all the rust and electrical problems. Had a couple of El Caminos I was working on, sold the '87 and I should have kept it. Oh well, there's more out there.

Hunting/guns is #2.

I have friends who want me to play golf, but my wife would kill me if I pick up a third expensive hobby.

Well my wife has the horses and all the accoutrements that goes with them; that's her hobby. I'm also a professional woodworker (giggity) with as much, if not more, tied up in machines and tools than I have in an airplane. I build anything from military style shadow boxes to furniture to kitchen cabinets.

Being a fighter pilot has to be at least a tie for most money out of my paycheck. (lots of hidden financial costs)

After that, travel, motorcycles, guns, dogs - it was skydiving for a while but I've basically quit that - no time!

Amen brother, I work every 3rd hour for free just for that type of fun hobby, ofcourse if I didn't give every third hour of my blood sweat a tears away, someone would try to steal my stuff, or kidnap me, or try to shoot at me.

Ahh, fun times.

I was going to say my wife, but @mscard88 beat me by a long shot. lol

Guns, building computers, paintball, etc.

I guess, in reality, browsing the internet would be my most expensive hobby. I waste so much valuable time!
You can say that again. Oh, wait, you just did.:p

Back