What was the most unpleasant part of training for you?

The private license requires a class 3 medical. The urine test for class 3 is for glucose and protein. If there's a drug screen the doc is doing it on his own, not because its required for the medical. I hope he got consent and billed you for it, because its not part of a class 3 FAA aeromedical exam.
Oh, that might have been what I did the urine test for, i didn't ask, as I have only touched Marijuana one time, when I was 16. Said to myself, this is the stupidest thing I've ever done.

I would say having to take so much time off my training due to chemotherapy treatments again.

Got my license in 6 months.

I say that because the worst part was getting airsick for the first 4 months. I also hated hood time. I'd rather have actual any day of the week.

The thing I found the most difficult was remembering the formula for determining the resistance in a series / parallel circuit.

formula for resistance in a series circuit...

You mean "a + b" ?

I didn't like the apprehension the night before a type rating ride. Even though every ride since my private was a kind of sadistic "fun!"

The thing I found the most difficult was remembering the formula for determining the resistance in a series / parallel circuit.

As a switchgear engineer, can I help make it easier? It's just math.

As a switchgear engineer, can I help make it easier? It's just math.
60 years too late, understanding the theory of the formula was the hard part. but I got the test passed and the A&P

Hardest parts for me were steep turns. Then the oral. I combined my check ride with my SODA and the oral was 7 freaking hours. Flight school was mad, I was frustrated. Had to discontinue because the school needed the plane. The FAA examiner is a great guy - he's 2 hangars down. Great friends now but he was tough as nails on my damn checkride.

Definitely for a Private ride. Wow.

For a CFI ride, it's not too far out of the norm.

Even for a CFI it's too long! Hell any ride really except maybe the Space Shuttle. WTF do you ask for 7 hours before you know the applicant knows his stuff!

Has anyone noticed there are not enough DPEs? The last one in this region is about 80 years old.

I think mine was 84 when he did my PPL checkride four years ago. He'll be doing my IFR checkride in about a month.

Even for a CFI it's too long! Hell any ride really except maybe the Space Shuttle. WTF do you ask for 7 hours before you know the applicant knows his stuff!

I hear ya, but I'm not administering them. Haha.

If you count my fail and retake, my oral was about that long. Didn't get much of a break on day two!

Have talked to others who've either had them take that long and the flight gets pushed to the second day, or who had the similar re-ride length thing that made the total that long.

My DPE did break it up a bit with some anecdotes and possible ways to make certain teaching techniques better. Some of that was obviously also to let me have a few minutes of down time between grilling sessions on different topics.

Didn't feel like that many hours, but by the clock, it was. :)

For me, a tie between studying the written rules & regs, and being the first training flight of the day - in winter - and spending half an hour as a student sweeping snow/ice off of the plane, preflighting, and hand-spraying deicing fluid while I froze my ass off, with the CFI inside watching and enjoying a coffee. Thankfully I wasn't billed for the time spent to do that but it happened several times...

Losing instructors to regional airlines
Same here. I went through 5 CFI's, with 2 of the 4 leaving for the regionals without advanced notice (I got a call from the school the morning of my lesson first time, and a call on the way to the airport the second).

My school is good about cancellations. I canceled a lesson on the way to the airport due to traffic once or twice, and no fee was charged. They are good with rentals too, and any issue with the plane that makes you cancel your flight, they don't charge a dime.

Being rescheduled in my training as a newbie :(

No biggie, but I'm eager to up in the air and keep learning/practicing. Always afraid as a super-low time guy that I'll be behind the next time up in the air.

Got my license in 6 months.

I say that because the worst part was getting airsick for the first 4 months. I also hated hood time. I'd rather have actual any day of the week.
Bob Hoover got airsick all the time in his earlier days, claimed that's why he flew so smoothe, he had to to keep from getting sick!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Check-ride sucked. I had a great examiner though. After the exam, he taught me a lot (and also explained why he couldn't teach during the exam).

I'm really surprised I passed, but I'm not complaining.

Bob Hoover got airsick all the time in his earlier days, claimed that's why he flew so smoothe, he had to to keep from getting sick!

Well I'm certainly no Bob Hoover... but that makes me feel better!

Spending half a day to log 0.7hrs.

That is good to hear. I have been on the edge, queasy for many of my flights. Recently also did actually throw up (it was almost all water, clear so not too bad...going to drink less water prior to flying) but I may have been not 100% even on the ground. Was getting sick.

Someone in a thread here mentioned throwing up for months while first learning to fly. I actually thought it was an exaggeration and asked if he meant just queasy or actually meant threw up, he meant threw up.

Suddenly I fealt like a real wimp for sweating feeling queasy each flight. It helped me get perspective.

I work with a guy that had gotten introductory flight lessons in England from his GF, then continued but never got his certificate. Since I was just starting, and found out I asked why and he said because of the queasiness.

The big thing I think is to hope and believe that it will not happen all the time, that the body will get used to it and one day it will be considerably less.

One thing though, when it was at its worst I did have to ask the CFI to take over. I felt like I was getting water boarded, really couldn't breath and was thinking if I were alone up there it would be difficult to focus on flying and be alert.

Any experienced pilots, or new pilots have something like that? Where the nausea made you almost not able to fly?

Being rescheduled in my training as a newbie :(

No biggie, but I'm eager to up in the air and keep learning/practicing. Always afraid as a super-low time guy that I'll be behind the next time up in the air.

And happening again :(

Last time the other plane was down for its 100 hr and the guy scheduled had his check ride. I gladly rescheduled so his check ride could happen (I'd hope someone would do the same for me).

This time the plane I usually fly is down for its 100 hr and the other is booked solid for a bit...ugh.

During my PP training, I can't think of a single thing that was bad. Other than dealing with weather in the PNW in the winter (fortunately, we had a mild one) and the icing we picked up punching into a cloud coming back from the Oregon coast the day before my check ride.

Now, my IR training took a few years. Between my original CFII being in the Army and being called to fly in the sandbox periodically and then leaving the Army and moving, so I had to get a new CFII, it took a while, as in several years. Other than that, and having to take the IR ride twice, no problems.

BTW, what do you call a private pilot who fails the IR ride the first time and passes the second time?

PP-ASEL IA.

:)

Back