Hangar Situation in South Florida?

Maciej

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Maciej
Just curious if anyone is familiar with the hangar availability situation in South Florida, thinking KOPF, KTMB, KHWO and X51?

Last edited:
It's like $700 per month at F45

Mid Florida west coast SRQ 250 group hangar.

KTMB they go for $900 and up and X51 for $650. They both have a LOOONG wait list.

I can't understand why they don't build more hangars when they have waiting lists?

It's extremely painful ! Airplanes with folding wings are starting to look pretty good.

If you want to know what painful is, try ATL area. PDK has 30 plane waitlist for a tiedown. There are empty hangars but the management says the waitlist is so long they don't even accept new people on it.

If you want to know what painful is, try ATL area. PDK has 30 plane waitlist for a tiedown. There are empty hangars but the management says the waitlist is so long they don't even accept new people on it.

I'm in NJ and the situation is far more twisted up here, pretty much no airport has any available hangar space and the waitlist timeframe is roughly ~3 to 6 years.

I've been on the waiting list as KSGJ since 2013.... But the rents are 450 per month.

I've been on the waiting list as KSGJ since 2013.... But the rents are 450 per month.

Most likely looking to get an apartment down in Miami so wanted to stay closer to there. Although Saint Augustine is second on my potential apartment list, but I know I can get a hangar spot for my Extra with the guys at Southeast Aero so that isn't that big of a deal.

Wow....those are unreal rates for hangar leases...even worse how bad the availability is. Best of luck!

KSUA had Ts available, 625-650 depending on doors, they also had shade hangars for 250 IIRC, and tie down was ~100. Pricey but they were available back in 2014.

There is so much land here in Florida I just don't understand it. There is obviously a demand for hangars. Fly in communities is probably your best bet to live close to your airplane.

At KFXE the hangars are very expensive and very hard to get. However, I believe the hangar rates do change depending upon the size and type of the aircraft.

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Most likely looking to get an apartment down in Miami so wanted to stay closer to there. Although Saint Augustine is second on my potential apartment list, but I know I can get a hangar spot for my Extra with the guys at Southeast Aero so that isn't that big of a deal.
If you think you may come to St. Augustine at any point go ahead and get on the waiting list. Years will go by but one day ya never know :) When I first got on the list she told me to expect 2-3 years. i called back in summer and said they've only had one or two hangar changes in 2 years. Not looking good for awhile.

If you think you may come to St. Augustine at any point go ahead and get on the waiting list. Years will go by but one day ya never know :) When I first got on the list she told me to expect 2-3 years. i called back in summer and said they've only had one or two hangar changes in 2 years. Not looking good for awhile.

If it were to end up being Saint Augustine I'd throw my Extra into Southeast Aero's group hangar with all the other acro nuts.

I can't understand why they don't build more hangars when they have waiting lists?

I can't speak for south Florida, but in the Atlanta area the close in airports are pretty well built out and are landlocked, there's not a lot of space for expansion. PDK closed a seldom used runway a few years ago in order to build some more hangars. Plus, they all have a pretty substantial business jet presence, and those guys have some money to spend, the little guy gets pushed out.

Community hangar at FTY is $750 per month for my 425 and $450 for the 182, I pay less than that for the 182 because it's not there very often, but that's the rate. I have a T-hangar in Athens GA that I think is $370.00. I tried to get a monthly tie down in Destin, the ramp is basically empty except weekends this time of year and then crowded most of the summer, they only wanted $1350.00 for a monthly tie down!! Really, only $16,200 per year to sit outside in the weather?? Thanks!! :rolleyes:

I did some checking:
A steel 10 unit T hangar costs $87000, for easy math lets assume, an extra $13000 for a concrete floor, also lets say $10000/yr for insurance, electricity, and whatever airport charges for property rights and maintenance; so over a 10 year period, $200000 in total expenses.
With an occupancy rate of 90% and a $300/month rent, thats $324000 in income, resulting in a $124000 in profit, which would be $22400/yr afterwards. Seems to me if the airport wants to make some money they would find space for some hangars.

I'm in NJ and the situation is far more twisted up here, pretty much no airport has any available hangar space and the waitlist timeframe is roughly ~3 to 6 years.
I think you can get a hangar at BLM

I did some checking:
A steel 10 unit T hangar costs $87000, for easy math lets assume, an extra $13000 for a concrete floor, also lets say $10000/yr for insurance, electricity, and whatever airport charges for property rights and maintenance; so over a 10 year period, $200000 in total expenses.
With an occupancy rate of 90% and a $300/month rent, thats $324000 in income, resulting in a $124000 in profit, which would be $22400/yr afterwards. Seems to me if the airport wants to make some money they would find space for some hangars.

There are a 100+ usable acres around F45, this is already cleared land, so yes it would be easy to build out. But Govt.... so unlikely

There are a 100+ usable acres around F45, this is already cleared land, so yes it would be easy to build out. But Govt.... so unlikely

What kind of paperwork do you have to submit to the government?

I think you can get a hangar at BLM

Yeah, quite a hike from me. They're about 1hr20min away from me, at the moment my Extra is being shipped from California over to Long Island to KHWV where we're going to assemble it, modify the panel and I'll be knocking out my insurance hours. Looking to move down to FL so that I can train for competition year long.

I did some checking:

Depending on who is building and who will own the hangars, the hangar construction may be funded at 85-90% by the federal government too. So your building costs couldd be far lower, and if the going rate is in the neighborhood of $300/month the profit margin in that period of time would be even higher.

What kind of paperwork do you have to submit to the government?

I don't think my friend had to do much of anything with the federal government when he built his hangar. The bigger problem was beating the local powers that be into submission and making them actually follow the rules they agreed to follow by accepting federal grant money.

We're moving to Florida in the spring, most likely to Pembroke Pines or Miramar, which means I will probably be at North Perry. What is the airport community like? EAA chapter or active pilots' association? Guys hanging out at their hangars or FBOs hiding from their wives?

Also, how bad is it going to be for a metal plane to be on a tiedown or shade port? I don't know if we can really afford the hangar rents. Funny that housing there is half what it is here (Santa Cruz, CA) but hangars are more than double the price.

Gotta love some aviation grade "gentrification".

Ah Exurbanism ....the last bastion of "affordable liberty". As long as you don't mind driving 3 hours to get to anything nor need ready access to first world medical services, you can live like a king out here. :D

Gotta love some aviation grade "gentrification".

Ah Exurbanism ....the last bastion of "affordable liberty". As long as you don't mind driving 3 hours to get to anything nor need ready access to first world medical services, you can live like a king out here. :D

I nearly spit out my tea when I read your location.

F45 isn't as bad as quoted above. Last I checked, which was very recently, small t-hangars (4 place single) are $350, small-medium box hangars (Baron-C310) is $450 and medium box hangars (up to maybe a Conquest/KA90) is $550. Concrete floors, electric included & maintained bathrooms at the end of every row. Arc lights & electric doors on all but the smallest. Small hangars have manual doors and fluorescents. There are some shade-ports for less.

F45's biggest problem is its pretty far out in the swamp. Easily 2 hours from Miami and an hour minimum from FLL with no traffic. Otherwise very nice, clean facility...ILS, RCO to PBI Approach and 24 hour fuelling, but no self-serve ($$)

Anything south of F45 along the coast is major bucks. KLNA & KBCT are in the $650 zone. KPMP and points south is more $$$. X51 might be less expensive and they have SS fuel (last I checked), but it is a WAYS out there like F45, so unless you live in South Miami, it might be a hike. KPMP and KHWO have recently done a lot of hangar space expansion, so there might be some availability.

F45 isn't as bad as quoted above. Last I checked, which was very recently, small t-hangars (4 place single) are $350, small-medium box hangars (Baron-C310) is $450 and medium box hangars (up to maybe a Conquest/KA90) is $550. Concrete floors, electric included & maintained bathrooms at the end of every row. Arc lights & electric doors on all but the smallest. Small hangars have manual doors and fluorescents. There are some shade-ports for less.
Did you ask about availability at F45?

I checked F45 several years ago, maybe it has gone down.

Dont forget, someone has to build the ramp in front of the hangar, not just the hangar. Also consider utilities.

Not technically needed.

Did you ask about availability at F45?

Haven't checked on availability in the last couple of weeks.

There is always some churn and if you're ready to move it, they might have something.

If you're considering SGJ then perhaps Daytona Beach or Ormond are reasonable considerations too. Great location, especially with Jacksonville and Orlando in reach.

I just purchased my airplane last month and had no idea how scarce hangar space was till I started looking where to park. EVB had me number 13 on their list, DAB was completely out and added me to the list, and OMN has new hangars and space available in the $300s.

Right as I was about to pull the trigger on OMN a bay hangar opened up at DAB for $500. I took it, and 30 days later a nice T hangar opened up for $450, so I took that. This week the other company that rents hangars said they had a tennant leave and hand a T available also for $450.

Anyways, churn does happen, but I'm feeling pretty lucky these days that I even have a hangar now, and even more lucky that mine has drywall, florescent lighting, and the showroom style shiny floor! After reading this thread, I'm also grateful I live in Northern Florida...I thought $450 was bad!

I feel your pain!

My Tiger is currently hangared at F45. Finding a hangar in S FL is ridiculous-- when we moved back to FL from NC, my hubby and personally visited LNA, where we've landed many times on trips from NC, PMP, where my husband went to flight school, BCT, which is 15 minutes from our new house... and we were priced out. Not only were prices crazy, but the mythical waiting lists were pretty discouraging.

Among the only options was a community hangar available for 600/mo at LNA, but we weren't too keen on being moved in and out by the FBO guys. All Boca (BCT) offered were tie-downs for $450/mo. (Really????)

We kept calling over several months to see if anything opened up anywhere, and F45 finally had a medium t-hangar become available for $630/mo. It's very nice, electric door, and larger than we need for our plane... but after repeated enquiries about a small T or even shade port, nothing has opened up and likely won't.

I wish you good luck in your search, pal!

A

Back