vg's on

hotprops

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
hotprops
single engine recip aircraft what do you think?

Id guess he's talking vortex gens, which don't really care what power plant is on the front of the plane.

Ether way, what are you looking for, decreased stall speed, better low speed handling, etc?

If it's #1 nope
If it's #2 maybe

On a STOL bird. Sure. XC. Nope.

Why?

Biggest draw back is the little buggers breaking off.
If you don't need the improved slow speed handling, why spend money to lose a knot or two and have to deal with the maintenance and hassle if you ever paint the plane?

I'm not opposed to VGs by any means, but it's one of those mods where the cost benefit ratio depends on how you use the plane.

I've installed them on my last two planes after flying them without. Beneficial? No question. My new build will have them installed before the first flight.

I haven't had any problems with mine coming off. Wing covers are no problem. You will be more careful with a fuel hose but it's not a big deal.

...you'll probably get more valuable input if you specify the airplane model you're considering.
Good advice. Some aircraft get greater benefits than others. Some (Barons for example) can even have problems associated with VGs that should be considered before installing.

A lot of the canard guys use them. Gives a little slower stalling speed. Haven't heard much of a speed penalty. I thought of trying vortilator tape on mine. Heard in some cases, a speed increase has been observed.

A lot of the canard guys use them. Gives a little slower stalling speed. Haven't heard much of a speed penalty. I thought of trying vortilator tape on mine. Heard in some cases, a speed increase has been observed.

Do they install on both wing and the cannard? What about the vertical stabilizers/winglets?

Any idea how much they help to lower stall speed and do they reduce top speed?

Do they install on both wing and the cannard? What about the vertical stabilizers/winglets?

Any idea how much they help to lower stall speed and do they reduce top speed?

Oh you name it. Some put them on the top of the canard. Heard about a 5-6 kt decrease in stall speed there. Only problem with that is, you still need to make sure it stalls before the main wing or you could get into a flat stall if the CG is too far aft. Some have them on the wing just prior to the ailerons to get more control authority at slow speeds. Some like my Velocity just use vortilons on the leading edge to help lower the stall speed and provide a little better handling. Some have them on the upper or lower cowling to try and keep airflow attached and reduce wake drag. Also seen some with them just prior to NACA vents to aid in engine cooling. Haven't heard any significant reduction in top speed.

My goal is to see if I can get a few more kts by installing the vortilator tape on the inboard portion of my Catto Prop. Still researching though so I not totally committed to the idea.

Back