What is your favorite War Birds?

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
Throughout my years I had the pleasure of watching War Birds evolve over time. If you could train and fly 3 War Birds which one would it be? I will go first!

1. P 38 Lightning

2. SR 71 Blackbird

3. B1B Bomber

Those 3 are my all time favorites. What is yours?

P-51

is

F-105D

is

B-36 c'mon recips and jet engines baby!

is

Last edited:
F4U Corsair (love the gull wing)
F4 Phantom (worked on one, changed the right engine)
P38 Lighting (what a hoot)
C47 Skytrain (radial engines are sweet)

Last edited:
Pretty much the Collings Foundation lineup:

1. P-51
2. A-4
3. F-4

Done the first with them. Hopefully knock out the second soon.

Would like to fly an f86 since grandad flew those. If offered the chance it would have to be the f16 though. If I won the 200million lotto I'd probably spend at least 100 on some foreign militaries 16 and finagle a way to fly it legally

F-15 because it is the baddest machine ever built! Undefeated heavyweight champion !
F-4 Corsair, with a name like Whisteling Death you know it is a great machine
Mig-25 Foxbat the rat rod of aviation!

WWII:
1) P-51
2) Corsair
3) Sea Fury

Jet Age:
1) F-16
2) F-4
3) F-15

Reno Racers (I count them as warbirds since they started that way)
1) Strega or Voodoo
2) Furias or Dreadnought
3) Super Corsair
4) Precious Metal
For any unfamiliar, Strega and Voodoo are very highly modified P-51D's capable of running north of 120 inches of MP and 500+ mph lap speeds. Furias and Dreadnought are Hawker Sea Furies that have been retrofitted with R4360 radials. The Super Corsair was a clipped wing/etc R4360 Corsair, unfortunately lost to an in flight fire during a race in the 90's (pilot injured but safe). Precious Metal is a combination of Mustang parts that is powered by a RR-Griffon swinging a six (2x3) blade contra-rotating propeller.

If offered the chance it would have to be the f16 though. If I won the 200million lotto I'd probably spend at least 100 on some foreign militaries 16 and finagle a way to fly it legally

No need to get an old F-16. Call up Lockheed and plunk down the cash for a Block 60. All were built under civilian production contracts and flown under E-AB paperwork until delivered to the customer.

Where are the freakin' pictures???

Okay since you asked :)

P38-Lightning-Airshow.jpg
P38 Lightning. When I was a kid, I had one of these on my wall. The P38 lightning went out of service before I was born but I was always drawn to it as a kid.

lockheed_sr_71_blackbird-1920x1200.jpg

SR-71 Blackbird. If I had to race one of today's jets and pick an airplane for the job it would be this one. It was retired in 1998 but not a lot of jets can beat it still.

B1B bomber.jpg

Rockwell B1B bomber. I was always drawn to the maneuverability of this Bomber and it's STILL among the fastest bombers ever made. When you see a formation like this...it's about to go down!! :)

F-15 because it is the baddest machine ever built! Undefeated heavyweight champion !

Love the F-4 Corsair, I'm surprised I didn't think of that one.

The F-22 would be a great challenge for the F-15 especially with thrust vectoring on. It would be difficult to out maneuver it and it's almost the same top speed. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it, (F22).
F-22-front.jpg

Last edited:

F14 was the baddest....:)

No need to get an old F-16. Call up Lockheed and plunk down the cash for a Block 60. All were built under civilian production contracts and flown under E-AB paperwork until delivered to the customer.
Good to know, now to go about winning that lottery.

Worked on the P-3 Orion for 10 years. The P-3 was special to me.upload_2016-12-18_10-47-5.jpeg

P-38
P-51
The Space Shuttle (only if it goes into orbit)

SBD Dauntless is by far my favorite. If I could fly any airplane I wanted, that would be it.

B-25 will always have a special place in my heart as well.

Worked on the P-3 Orion for 10 years. The P-3 was special to me.View attachment 49929

Worked a bunch of "Navy Lima Lima" P-3s while doing ATC. NIP would send them up for hours for pattern work...boring. :)

Went up for a ride one night and sat at some TACCO station. Someone told the 3rd pilot that I had a PPL. He came up to me and said if it weren't for the CO flying with them tonight, he'd bring me upfront and fly for a bit. Couldn't believe it.

WW1: Sopwith Snipe
WW2 fighter: F4U Corsair
WW2 Bomber: B-17
Modern Day: A-10

The fastest airplane in the world is difficult to know because they always keep it under wraps but the North American X-15 was clocked at Mach 6.

Have flown an at 6 , all time favorite would be an F4 , other than that would like to fly any warbirds given the opportunity.

B-17 (Actually logged a half hour as pilot on a flight in EAA's B-17)
P-38
Bf-109

Cheers

The fastest airplane in the world is difficult to know because they always keep it under wraps but the North American X-15 was clocked at Mach 6.

One of my first USAF jobs was as an engineer on the XLR-99 rocket engine on the X-15. No way in the world would I fly that hummer.

Cheers

My favorites are the WW2 Pacific theatre fighters.
P-38 due to it's cool look and how many kills Dick Bong & Tommy McGuire racked up in it.
P-40 due to the Flying Tigers
F4U due to the Black Sheep and its cool look as well.

If I were to add a Bomber it would be the B-29, think Enola Gay.

Worked a bunch of "Navy Lima Lima" P-3s while doing ATC. NIP would send them up for hours for pattern work...boring. :)

Went up for a ride one night and sat at some TACCO station. Someone told the 3rd pilot that I had a PPL. He came up to me and said if it weren't for the CO flying with them tonight, he'd bring me upfront and fly for a bit. Couldn't believe it.

I was in a reserve unit VP-90 was our squadron. Call sine "LX", deployed west pacific and Alaska. Tracking subs was a hoot. Long hours, good times..

QB1.JPG The Eagle has to be my favorite - it has carried me safely to over 20 countries and for over 2,000 hours in the last 15 years. I will be sad to leave her in 42 months.

My favorite WW2 bird has always been the F-4U. One day... one day.

I'm trying to work my way into piston warbirds:
Flying the T-6 as much as possible.
GOPR6132.JPG

And I did love flying the Scooter for Draken. Cool little jet.
scoot2.JPG

Back