No more SI!!!

Rykymus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rykymus
When I started PPL in late 2014, I was 310#, on 50mg/day of BP med, an A1C of 6.0 (no meds for that), had a screwed up knee, and a history of kidney stones. Oh, and one eye that was just outside of minimums even with correction.

I still got an SI, and a SODA for my eye.

However, every year, for 5 years, I was required to go to my AME with all my documentation, including scans for kidneys and ALL bloodwork, and statements from MD. I'd give that documentation to the AME and he'd give me another 3rd class good for another year. And a month later, the FAA would send me a threatening letter giving me 30 days to send them all the same paperwork that the AME sent them. I'd send it, and a few months later I would get a new 3rd class medical, still only good for 1 year.

Now, I'm 260# (and still losing), I'm only taking 12.5 mg/day of BP med, my A1C is normal, my knee is healed, and my kidneys are stone free. (Eye is unchanged, though.)

This year, I got a letter from the FAA stating that I no longer require a special issuance, and I qualify for a normal 3rd class medical.

Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is NOT an oncoming train.

Good for you..!!!

Health before flying.

I had an SI for a short time. Then a few years ago I got a letter from the FAA. Oh, great, what now.???

I opened it and out fell a brand spanking new medical certificate that did not have a 1 year expiration date on it..!!!

Feels good, doesn't it..????? :)

Out from under mine too (short term). I know how good it feels. CONGRATULATIONS on the medical and especially your improving health.

That's great news! I have to do the SI dance every year due to MS and blindness in one eye. I'm hopeful that I will one day get past it, but it's not likely. Stories like this keep hope alive. I'm happy that you don't have to hassle with it now.

That's great news! I have to do the SI dance every year due to MS and blindness in one eye. I'm hopeful that I will one day get past it, but it's not likely. Stories like this keep hope alive. I'm happy that you don't have to hassle with it now.
Neither is among the specific conditions spelled out in the bill passed last summer requiring even a one-time SI. If you can find a physician willing to sign you off, you may be near the end of your SI days. (That "if", though, is sadly non-trivial, and will probably depend on the exact wording of the final rule due to be published next month.)

Even if there is a SI , isn't it a one time thing with the new ruling?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Even if there is a SI , isn't it a one time thing with the new ruling?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Yes... for each condition requiring an SI. One of the questions I still have is, what if you have several conditions that require an SI under the 3rd class rules but you're flying under PBoR2 and you haven't renewed those SIs in years? Now you develop a new one that requires a one-time SI under PBoR2? Can you just get an SI for the new condition or will you have to jump through the hoops again for the other conditions before the FAA will grant you an SI for the new one? I believe Dr. Bruce opined that the latter is probably what they would require, and I think he's probably right. We'll just have to wait and see how the final rule reads.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back