20,000 feet over Oklahoma

Until this year I averaged ~7 off airport landings a year. This year, none. I can't figure out if I'm turning into a wimp or getting better

Probably mostly turning into a wimp. I remember being surprised at how non-chalant you were about landouts. But, I'm also very cautious with being on others' property. I think in NYC we were taught that if you trespassed, ever, you'd just get shot. Which is ironic given that (theoretically) nobody has guns in NYC.

The experienced guys in our club routinely fly cross-country tasks of hundreds of miles and over 10 hours, sometimes up to 13-14 IIRC. That's non-stop, in the tiny cramped cocoon of a glider cockpit. As a newbie I admire them a lot, my own longest flight so far has only been 6.5 hrs (which coincidentally is identical to the duration of my longest non-stop power flight). Obviously nobody had a bladder that lasts that long; we use different techniques to "go" in flight, just like in power planes.

That's wild. This fella I was towing was 79 years old. 4 hours was pretty much all he could stand in the Discus. Heck, I I'm only good for about 3 hours in the 182 before I start to squirm a little.

That's wild. This fella I was towing was 79 years old. 4 hours was pretty much all he could stand in the Discus. Heck, I I'm only good for about 3 hours in the 182 before I start to squirm a little.

We have guys in their late 70s flying 10+ hr tasks for hundreds of miles, breaking records and winning contests. We also have young guys in their early 20s doing the same. And no need squirming if you have the proper plumbing setup.

We have guys in their late 70s flying 10+ hr tasks for hundreds of miles, breaking records and winning contests. We also have young guys in their early 20s doing the same. And no need squirming if you have the proper plumbing setup.

Haha, it's not the pee that gets me squirming. It's me arse and back.

Kudos to anyone that can fly for 10 hours straight.

Smilin Jim Hardy?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Diamond Altitude claim approved and the badge should be arriving soon. That was easy!

I'm no longer Soaring for Diamonds

2e988a692561809ca72d810a3c52fcc3.jpg

Back