way too much winter already

Uhh crap. I think I left one connected and didn't put the winter cover over it. I better double check that tonight. If I find a frozen waterfall and hear the well pump running I'll know I screwed that pooch. LOL. Karen is home today so I'll just hope for no phone calls... and the one I think I forgot is outside of a very warm interior wall with wimpy insulation... crossing fingers...
I'm not going to offer to help Nate. His house is too damn far away.

dammitdammitdammitdammit ..... got suckered in by the summer that would not end here in Colorado, and I left the hoses hooked up to the outside faucets. 2 froze up sillcocks to defrost. 1 split for certain, 1 unknown at present.
Made that mistake once at the old Arvada house. Haven't done it since... knock on wood.

Winter is relevant to the area of the country you are in. In Florida 50 degrees is winter,up north like Boston 30 degrees is winter. Unfortunately my plane is in Florida and I'm in Mass. don't even want to think about the upper mid west.

It is winter as soon as it drops below 75 in my book! Yeah yeah..I lived in North Pole Alaska for 4 years so I had my fill of winter then.

Just don't do like my neighbors did a few years ago and set your house on fire with the DIY. It was a real bummer 'cause I had to park a whole half-block from my house because the fire department guy didn't want me to run over his hose. The fire department did do a real fine job of putting the fire out and saving the structure.

Neighbors about a mile away had a house fire last night at -7F. Fully engulfed. Ugly way to start the holidays.

dammitdammitdammitdammit ..... got suckered in by the summer that would not end here in Colorado, and I left the hoses hooked up to the outside faucets. 2 froze up sillcocks to defrost. 1 split for certain, 1 unknown at present.
Yep, I *finally* unhooked mine here last night. I think it will be too cold to try to fly Saturday unless I plug her in overnight but wintertime flying is some of the best!

It is winter as soon as it drops below 75 in my book! Yeah yeah..I lived in North Pole Alaska for 4 years so I had my fill of winter then.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I spent 4 years in Kotzebue, one year in Barrow, and one year in Fairbanks, and a few years in other places south of the Arctic Circle. I'm telling ya Fairbanks was the coldest of all..!!! I left Fairbanks at -47 and went to Texas to visit my mom. It was 70 degrees in Texas. I nearly passed out from the heat...:yes:

this is from North Dakota... look closely.
snowday.jpg

I am not fond of the cold we're having here near MSP either. It was 18 F when I went rollerblading tonight (the snow made it a little slippery, but there isn't too much, so it wasn't too bad). Will get to single digits tonight and this coming week for highs.

I take solace that we'll return to the 20s after next week, and the big snow should hit Saturday when I don't have to be anywhere.

I left Fairbanks at -47 and went to Texas to visit my mom. It was 70 degrees in Texas. I nearly passed out from the heat...:yes:

We went to Florida last winter, left when it had been cold, like maybe 10 degrees for a high the day we left.

We got down there and were celebrating the 55 degree day we landed in, even though the locals were huddled and running for shelter.

We had to turn on the a/c in the car when it got into the 60s; so I believe that 70s felt HOT!!!

You get used to whatever though, because 45 degrees felt sub-zero to me a few days ago...

here ya go'

Attachments

• 14695483_1304345749577470_7401556635590059055_n.jpg
    14695483_1304345749577470_7401556635590059055_n.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 26

I spent 4 years in Kotzebue, one year in Barrow, and one year in Fairbanks, and a few years in other places south of the Arctic Circle. I'm telling ya Fairbanks was the coldest of all..!!! I left Fairbanks at -47 and went to Texas to visit my mom. It was 70 degrees in Texas. I nearly passed out from the heat...:yes:

Drove to Tuktoyaktuk once on a car rally (Alcan 5000), where polar bears come into town off the Arctic Ocean ice. Just getting out of the car to refuel there was brutal...brrrr!!! We didn't have any mechanical issues, but one guy on the rally hit a big crack on the Mackenzie River ice road doing about 90 mph and blew out two tires. He only had one spare. :(

Ice/snow around SoCal stays in the mountains, where it belongs! Although we do get a freak hailstorm once in a great while at sea level.

Well hell. Another neighbor has a fire of some sort. Pumper truck and tower truck in front of house. Ambulance in front of my house. The firefolk have airpacks on so it looks to be real. Saw them carry sledge hammer into house so they are chasing the fire. They've left the electricity on in the house.

It's about 5 degrees out now.

Cold is easy enough to dress for. Well, mostly. -45 with wind sucks no matter how you dress. And after you ride the snowgo 30 miles to the truck it won't start so you get to stand around for three hours with generator running while engine heater and battery charger run. Lovely.

Seriously, the cold isn't so bad. The darkness is worse.

Yep there interior gets the coldest and the hottest . ...yuck! Borrow?? Wow I bet thathe was neat but during the winter no sun at all..um..not sure I could swing that .

I used to love going out fishing and losing track of time to find it 2am and sunny..loved it. But snowmobiling at 4pm and it's pitch black and -30 was fun for a couple years.

-20 was the cutoff when the resorts closed in fairbanks. - 30 was my personal cut off for being out on the snowmobile.

I was lucky to leave Texas in July and drive up only to find I needed a parka! Hahaha Then one year in may during break up the air force decided I needed to go to Saudi and sent me for 4 months. From below freezing to 140! Then come back to Alaska with snow on the ground again for winter. That was a rough year!

I had the joy in the early eighties of being in Midland when an ice storm hit. Watching Texans trying to drive on it was hilarious.
Even Vermonters have trouble with it sometimes. There was a multi-car pileup recently on I-89. There are still a few people who haven't had their tires changed over yet - I overheard one of my office-mates calling for an appointment to have it done this week.

Mine were on first week in November. In Vermont you can never tell.

Yep got to put winter air in them tires or bad things happen.:D

In our shop in alaska we would pull that on new people. About half would fall for it!

The thing here in SoCal is that its 85 until November 1 and then on Nov 2 its 65 and stays there until March. There is no change of seasons - you might see a very gradual warm up in March and April near 80 but then it cools back off again with May grey and June gloom until one day shortly after July 4 its 95 and stays there until beginning of October - when fall arrives and its down to the aforementioned 80-85 for a month.

no fire at my house (yet). The sillcock that I can see is definitely split. That's the easy one to access, but since there's no shut off valve to that one, I have to shut off the water to the whole house and drain all the standing water from the upline pipes to make the repair.

The 2nd one was behind the bathroom vanity mirror, so pulled the mirror, cut an access panel in the dry wall to defrost it, and yay! No leak! However, if I had NOT already done the above steps, I can guarantee that one would have been split, and who knows how long I would have had to let it spray behind the wall before determining I had the leak.

Now on to the hot tub that I just noticed has been running for hours ... oh joy - it's cool to almost cold. :(

I used to work with a guy who's greeting every Monday was "So, did you have a good weekend? Oh wait, you're a home owner - never mind."

Even Vermonters have trouble with it sometimes. There was a multi-car pileup recently on I-89. There are still a few people who haven't had their tires changed over yet - I overheard one of my office-mates calling for an appointment to have it done this week.

Mine were on first week in November. In Vermont you can never tell.

They weren't doing well on I-96 yesterday. Some light snow and black ice resulted in a 40 car pile-up near Fowlerville. Three fatal.

Yep got to put winter air in them tires or bad things happen.:D!

We used to send the flight attendants in for a bucket of prop wash, or get them to ask the ramper for flight line. :D

We had 1" of snow over night, on the way to drop off a log book this morning I saw 5 cars in the ditch, all had Ca plates on them :)

We used to send the flight attendants in for a bucket of prop wash, or get them to ask the ramper for flight line. :D

hahaha

When I first got to Alaska they were re doing our flightline. I was told to go to the parachute shop to get a yard of flight line...I came back with a 3 foot section tore up flight line, no lie! hehe That went over well..

Now I did get suckered into the over the phone physical in my shop complete with grabbing my junk and coughing..sigh..:rolleyes:

We used to send new airman to the corrosion shop to get a bag of ID10T.

Lots of tricks that's for sure.

It's like that famous photo of tons of kayakers in plastic kayaks wearing plastic rain gear protesting something oil related up near Seattle a few years ago, isn't it? LOL.

But don't plastic kayaks grow on the same plastic trees that plastic lumber comes from?

Last edited:
We had 1" of snow over night, on the way to drop off a log book this morning I saw 5 cars in the ditch, all had Ca plates on them :)

Probably pilots too huh Tommy?

They weren't doing well on I-96 yesterday. Some light snow and black ice resulted in a 40 car pile-up near Fowlerville. Three fatal.
Yeah, I saw pictures of it on national news. Sad. To be fair, snow tires won't help you on ice and black ice is particularly treacherous. Usually I get frustrated with Vermonters poking along at 15 under the speed limit, but in this weather that's what you need to do. Better to get there late, than not at all. :(

No,, California transplanted sailors.
They could have been pilots, but How would I know.

Guess I figured you asked them when you stopped to help. Oh, you didn't stop. Never mind.

Having them go back and point all the cabin gaspers aft to help 'make up a little time' is always good fun.

Send 'em to Italy so they can hep with harvesting the spaghetti crop. :D

Hey now, I'm Italian and that's a very important harvest! We gots to eat!

upload_2016-12-9_18-53-27.pngupload_2016-12-9_18-54-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-9_18-53-46.png
    upload_2016-12-9_18-53-46.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 6
Guess I figured you asked them when you stopped to help. Oh, you didn't stop. Never mind.
There ya go letting imagination run away again. where did you get the idea that there were people in the cars?

Back