Flew Long Solo Cross Country Yesterday

Matt Brasher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
brasher
It was so much fun!

Route : KRYY, KGAD (full stop), TDG, KAUO (full stop), LGC, 4A4, KRYY (full stop)
Distance: 278nm
Altitudes: 4500-5500
Aircraft: 1968 Cessna 177 Cardinal
Time: ~1000-1430 EST
Weather: Overcast @ 8-12k, rain to enter area late afternoon. Moderate turbulence reported for my route. Temp aloft ~40F

https://skyvector.com/?ll=33.332364...&zoom=5&fpl= KRYY KGAD KASN KAUO LGC 4A4 KRYY

My route distance was 278nm, the longest leg being 113nm. Total trip lasted around 4.5 hours including the 2 stops and fueling up.

KRYY (Cobb County outside Atlanta) to KGAD (Gadsden in North Alabama) was event free. Took off, climbed out of KRYY and contacted Atlanta for flight following. I used two airports as check points. There were plenty of visual references, mainly mountains and lakes to reassure that I was on course. I managed a ground speed of 126kts. The landing into KGAD was very nice. Winds were at 9kts 30* off the runway. Touched down smoothly and was off by the first exit. Parked airplane, went inside to investigate the restrooms, snagged a business card, and climbed back into the airplane.

KGAD to KAUO (Auburn) via TDG (Talladega) was a little more exciting. First off, I couldn't fly direct as that would place me right in restricted airspace. Flying via the TDG VOR kept me clear. Once I hit the TDG VOR, I was rewarded with a view of the Talladega Speedway (You know, from Talladega Nights). Heading change, omni twist, off to the next way point (a straight section of the Tallapoosa river, which was actually way easier to identify than I thought it would be).

"84Y, Atlanta Center. Radar beginning to show rain for you area . Expect light precip for the next 10 miles."

And then it rained. It wasn't much at all, but I had never been in rain before. The rain wasn't a complete surprise, my flight instructor and I knew that it would be a possibility and talked it through before I left. Basically he said that as long as my visibility is fine, I'm fine too. And he was right, visibility in the rain was still way better than the forest fire smoke I've been flying through the past few weeks. The rest of the flight to Auburn was smooth and predictable. Landed at Auburn, grabbed a candy bar, chatted with the line guy, checked weather, and then putted to self-serve to stuff the plane with as much cheap gas as I could cram into the thing. I debated eating lunch somewhere, but ultimately decided to leave earlier as the majority of the rain was only a couple of hours away.

I chose Auburn as I went to school there and used to work on the flight line at the airport. I wanted to see what is was like to be on the other side. Needless to say, I like this side of the operations more.

Took off, waved good bye to my old home of Auburn, climbed to 5500, and then dialed in the LaGrange VOR. Tagged the VOR at the edge of the lake. This one was a little harder to find as it was surrounded by pine trees. Heading change, omni twist, off to the next way point. This was the longest stretch between way points at about 35nm between the VOR and Carrolton Airport. 20 min later I flew right over Carrolton Airport. Nice. Headwind that was slowing me down to 105kts: not so nice.
11min later I was over Polk County where I needed to initiate my eastbound heading for home.

Not long after:
"84Y, radar service terminated. G'day."

I'm home! As I entered downwind, tower asked a favor of me:

"84Y, can you do me a favor? Instead of having me extend you way downwind, can you do me a right 360 midfield?"

I've never done this before, but sure.
"84Y, will do. Right 360."

Carb heat off, throttle in, 2 min turn. This wasn't difficult, but what was mildly alarming was that I had never turned this direction before from downwind as there are only a couple of mile between McCollum field and Kennesaw mountain. I kept a close eye on the mountain. I wasn't going to let it jump out in front of me.

"84Y, you can turn base now. You have a Cirrus behind you, can you give me a long, quick roll?"
"Roger"

Touched down, roll out, turn off the runway, and park.

Success! I still have the grin on my face.

Several things I learned/practiced:
- I'm glad I decided to plan a cross country that was much longer than required. 278nm still didn't feel like that far of a trip. I'm surprised the longest leg minimum is only 50nm. That's basically only one checkpoint.
- I am much more confident in using VOR navigation that I was a couple of weeks ago.
- I now better understand what Flight Following can do for you, and what they expect from me. I omitted some of my radio blunders I had with them. I'm pretty sure Atlanta Center was glad to have me out of their hair.
- I am leaps and bounds more comfortable in the airplane by myself.

The real take away from yesterday is that I feel like I am to the point where I can have my license.

That's awesome! Great write up. Glad you enjoyed your trip and had some fun with it too! Definitely sounds like you've earned some confidence. A long cross country like that really shows you what flying can do and your capabilities as a pilot!

That's what it's all about. Gaining confidence and enjoying the excitement, thrills, and benefits of flying. Don't ever think ATC is glad to have you out of their hair, regardless if they are or aren't. They're there to provide a service and help. Most enjoy doing it. Now don't get too cocky or else you'll get bitten on your ass! Respect what you're doing, weather, other traffic, etc and you'll be fine. Congrats on a fun flight, enjoyed reading about it.

Sounds like a fun flight, Matt, and a confidence builder. Way to go.

Nice write up. After the long XC I remember I felt like an actual pilot! Flying XC's is what makes being a pilot worth it! Once you pass the checkride and can go where you want, make sure to take advantage of it.

Using flight following becomes second nature after time. ATC is the best service we as pilots can use so it makes sense to use it.

Keep flying and go pass that checkride!

Sounds like a good time, and got to get a little rain on the flight too!

I did my PPL training out of RYY and flew to GAD on my first XC flight and AUO on my second. I flew to AUO as I went to college at Auburn as well. I didn't work the line and the FBO was still on the west side. I've been to the east side for a few football games.

Sounds like a good time, and got to get a little rain on the flight too!

I did my PPL training out of RYY and flew to GAD on my first XC flight and AUO on my second. I flew to AUO as I went to college at Auburn as well. I didn't work the line and the FBO was still on the west side. I've been to the east side for a few football games.

You know what they say, great minds think alike. :D

I spent most of my time working on the west side. The east side FBO opened during my senior year I believe. Man was that an upgrade.

You know what they say, great minds think alike. :D

I spent most of my time working on the west side. The east side FBO opened during my senior year I believe. Man was that an upgrade.

That makes you quite a bit younger than me. ;) East Glenn Ave went straight past the airport when I was at Auburn. Now it bends south so the 18/36 runway can be longer. I agree, the east side ramp is much spiffier than the old one on the west side.

I thought of training when I was at Auburn. Just thought it too expensive for a poor college student. Probably should have done it. It was quite a bit more when I did it later on. Of course I was making good money by then, so....

Great write up. Thanks. As a flight instructor it's really helpful to hear all the perspectives I can. Sounds like your instructor did a good job. Flying CC is fun isn't it. I hope that one is the first of many. If you're ever on the east side of ATL, that being Covington KCVC, stop by. We have VOR radials out here too. ;-)

Last edited:
Congratulations! Nothing like a long trip to feel like a pilot. My Long XC was ~320 nm, to finish the time requirement.

Wayne and I remember Glenn Road as it used to be, two lanes and ruler straight from downtown to the interstate. When I moved back almost three years ago, the big swoop around the runway was quite a surprise.

Yell the next time you're planning to come this way, I've only moved 10 Mooney minutes west . . .

War Eagle!

Great write up. Thanks for sharing.

Won't be TOO long now until the big day.

Expect to start making sure you can perform everything in the ACS to tighter than the ACS standard...

Instructor may seem a little "more demanding than usual" going forward.

Don't be surprised by it... it's just that stage where "it's time"...

You kinda hit the "fun" peak at solo XC and then it feels a bit like work again until that last few hours that feels like you're really getting beat up...

Then the checkride feels easier, usually. AFTER it's over you feel like it was easier than the last few flights before it, anyway. DURING it you'll be busy and wondering what's coming next...

Have fun with the rest. And like someone else said, don't get cocky! But your instructor will know how to knock you off that high horse if you do... EVIL GRIN... :)

Toward the very end you'll be thinking, "I just want these jerks OUT of MY airplane..." as your brain starts to say, "I'm ready to be PIC of this contraption. Get OUT!" LOL.

Still learning cross country procedures and flight planning here so I really enjoyed your write-up. Congratulations! It sounds as though you had a good time.

Jealous you got to do it in a Cardinal; me and a C-177 have some unfinished business. . .would love to own one. Rain and rivers and lakes hunting, that's nothing but fun right there. I remember getting a wee bit lost on my CC in the days before GPS. The Ohio River made a nice landmark to get oriented. When I dialed in the YellowBud VOR I knew I had it made, thanks for the ride-along and congrats on hitting that milestone. You won't ever forget it.

Did mine last Saturday. Perfect weather. CUB - GRD - AQX - CUB. 208nm. About two hours flight time in the Cherokee 140. Being slow does make it easier to rack up the hours.

In our area, the best landmarks are lakes and airports, of which there are many large examples on my route. My VOR is INOP so navigation was by panel GPS (old 155XL), pilotage with chart, and iPad with ForeFlight as a backup. In a pinch there's the iPhone too. Got flight following from Columbia, Greer, Augusta, and Jacksonville Center so there was some radio work involved. Flight following is awesome. 3500-5500 altitudes.

This was also my first time starting the plane below freezing. It took a little while to get her going. I'm going to get a trouble light from Advance Auto and put it in the cowling and turn it on the night before for cold morning departures in the future. Also first trip with coffee. I held it between my knees for the first takeoff, then wedged it between the back seats next to the fire extinguisher. I am proud to say it didn't spill on any landings! I was careful not to drink too much to avoid jitters and bladder issues.

As with most of my flying, I am too focused during the flight to enjoy it much, but afterwards I am very glad I did it. Pulling up to my hangar was an awesome feeling. Now we just have to do simulated instruments, night flight and checkride prep and I'm ready for the checkride.

That sounds so great! I love cross country as well. Ok, who doesn't? Right?

You're a brave soul, flying with a cup of coffee! Mine usually travels with me in my stomach . . . Much harder to spill that way.

Back