Anyone drive a Ford pickup with a 2.7 V-6?

your 06 MBZ died? seems like a rather late, and high end model car to be crapping out

At 170k it encountered a problem that would cost several more AMUs to fix than the car was worth[1]. That, and the fact that both of our vehicles were older high mileage cars, made the decision easy. Get the wife a new ride.

especially if you toss some hakkapeliittas on.

Those things are magic. Back when I lived in snow country, I had an old Mk1 Jetta beater that I used for winter driving. I put four studded Hakkas on it, and it was a friggin' snow cat. That car would go anywhere, and I feared no snow/ice event. That car traveled all over in horrible weather taking my friends and I skiing. If I ever live up north again, I will buy them again in a heartbeat.

[1] German cars do not age well. Maybe that repair would have gotten me a number of years more driving, or maybe only six months until the next expensive repair.

But then you will have a proper engine sound instead of Ford Ranger sound.

Lol, yeah, it's tough to argue the sound of a good 'ol American V8.

Hmm I guess so? Everyone has a difference of opinion I guess...can't please everyone...although Ford seems to be doing just fine with their Ecoboost motors :)

My comment was really just a response to the "EB out-tows the 5.0L" comment. If that was the only thing holding me back from getting the 5.0, it's easy enough to EcoBoost it yourself with the myriad of Roush (or other) aftermarket blowers for the 5.0. If Ford ever manages to make an "EB 5.0L", that thing will fly off of the dealership lots. The best place to stick one, is in the Ford GT.

hakkapeliittas - Sounds like some kind of Mexican food you eat with honey.

Even with my limited intelligence, I quickly deduced from the content of the post that they were tires of some sort.

<------ > - average bear. ;)

Even with my limited intelligence, I quickly deduced from the content of the post that they were tires of some sort.

<------ > - average bear. ;)

Just trying to educate a little, most haven't heard of this tire company, but the tires are pure magic if you have extreme winter conditions.

I'll do some research on a Tacoma and Frontier. Not a fan of the Colorado (I've driven too many rental Chevys. They are cheap and nasty).
F150 would still rock, I'll see if John can cut me a good lease deal on one :)
The problem with leases in Georgia is the stupid tax law that taxes the entire purchase price instead of the lease payment. But, I will be glad to work up a lease on one.

Went to drive a few trucks today. I liked the F150. 2.7 Ecoboost is a great engine and there's more than enough space. Tacoma engine and especially gearbox were a bit lame, but it drives a LOT better than F150.
Decisions...decisions...

You thought the econoboosted ford engine was nicer than the Toyota 4.0 V6?

I've been quite happy with the 4.0 and 6 speed

You thought the econoboosted ford engine was nicer than the Toyota 4.0 V6?

I've been quite happy with the 4.0 and 6 speed

2017 Tacoma has a 3.5 V6, and a pretty clever one at that. It varies between Otto and Atkinson cycles etc. But a turbocharged 2.7 will wipe it's butt all day long. Also, the gearbox in the Toyota wasn't as smooth as in the Ford. But Tacoma drives a LOT better than the F150. Like night and day better.
Difficult choice. It might just come down to price and Tacoma is way cheaper being a smaller truck.

I picked up my truck from the dealer yesterday morning. Its a Ford F-150 Lariat Supercab with the 2.7 Ecoboost engine. It has more bells and whistles than I can shake a stick at. 23.8 mpg average so far and I'm happy with it. My wife is the proud "owner" of my old truck so she can pull her horses around and go get hay anytime she wants.

I've had 6 good years without a truck payment until now.

Bought a 2006 Tundra extended cab a few months ago with the V6 and 85K miles. Love it, fits what I need it perfectly. About the same size as a Tacoma is these days.

Congrats Timbeck, I know what you mean about payments, they suck.

2017 Tacoma has a 3.5 V6, and a pretty clever one at that. It varies between Otto and Atkinson cycles etc. But a turbocharged 2.7 will wipe it's butt all day long. Also, the gearbox in the Toyota wasn't as smooth as in the Ford. But Tacoma drives a LOT better than the F150. Like night and day better.
Difficult choice. It might just come down to price and Tacoma is way cheaper being a smaller truck.

Look at resale too, there is a reason tacomas hold their value beyond that of nearly all other cars/trucks, the f150 line, not so much.

As for the ford engine, my buddy had a Hyundai that was super fast, shot a ton of nitrous into it and it would wipe it's butt with lots of cars, still a short term solution in a cheap car which will likley be in a junk yard before its 7th birthday.

"As for the ford engine, my buddy had a Hyundai..."

Dafuq?

Do you walk to school or carry your lunch?

We bought a used 2011 Ford Flex with EcoBoost, albeit a 3.5l as a tow vehicle for our travel trailer.

24577053802_4e8972eea4_z.jpg

Gets about 22 mpg without the trailer, and around 12 towing.

With about 365 hp on tap, power has never been an issue, even on the rather steep grades here in the Appalachians.

With 4 dogs, even a crew cab pickup would have been tight. We really like the SUV form factor - can seat 7 - and the AWD gives us some extra peace of mind.

Reliability has been near perfect. One time it would not start, traced to a "crank sensor" issue and fixed under warranty.

Last edited:
"As for the ford engine, my buddy had a Hyundai..."

Dafuq?

Do you walk to school or carry your lunch?

Even comparison, both are bottom rung auto makers and have similar demographics, aside from their SVT line ford makes disposable vehicles for folks who can't get financed or afford better, the resale of their F150, ranger, or god forbid focus, show this.

Ok, that might have been a little ruff.

Just saying as far as used cars go, there are certain brands which don't hold their value well, because they aren't built for the long haul.

Try to trade in a semi new ford, especially a focus, unless you put a heap down, no way someone's going to be able to dig you out of that car.

Look at the prices of 10 year old rangers vs tacomas, focus vs corolla, etc, the tacoma is well over double the price, and there is a reason for this.

Even comparison, both are bottom rung auto makers and have similar demographics, aside from their SVT line ford makes disposable vehicles for folks who can't get financed or afford better, the resale of their F150, ranger, or god forbid focus, show this.

Jesus, you're so full of **** your eyes are turning brown. Resale value on vehicles have a myriad of things that can influence the number. In the F-150's (or any US full size truck), the largest determinant of resale value is sheer volume of production. When there's a large supply of used vehicles of a specific model to choose from it drives down price. They'll all run 200K+ miles before needing any major engine work if they are maintained properly. The Taco/Tundra is no different, it just costs more up front and has lower volume. There's nothing "throw away" about any F-150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here is one data point for mileage with a 2015 F-150. Average never reset. Includes a fair amount of off-road around our farm. The little engine tows our 22ft boat ok, a bigger engine would be nice on rare occasions but it gets the job done, and when not towing it's a whole lot more economical.

Attachments

• IMG_5605.JPG
    IMG_5605.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 12
here is one data point for mileage with a 2015 F-150. Average never reset. Includes a fair amount of off-road around our farm. The little engine tows our 22ft boat ok, a bigger engine would be nice on rare occasions but it gets the job done, and when not towing it's a whole lot more economical.

You didn't say which engine... :)

Jesus, you're so full of **** your eyes are turning brown. Resale value on vehicles have a myriad of things that can influence the number. In the F-150's (or any US full size truck), the largest determinant of resale value is sheer volume of production. When there's a large supply of used vehicles of a specific model to choose from it drives down price. They'll all run 200K+ miles before needing any major engine work if they are maintained properly. The Taco/Tundra is no different, it just costs more up front and has lower volume. There's nothing "throw away" about any F-150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really??

Ok, so the fact that the focus and f150 lack fit and finish, and it just so happens they turn into a rattling hooptie after a year or so, is just coincidence eh?

Did the ford dealer tell you that, or was it a "unbiased" opinion of some rag like motortrend?

Life's too short to drive crap ecno cars.

Really??

Ok, so the fact that the focus and f150 lack fit and finish, and it just so happens they turn into a rattling hooptie after a year or so, is just coincidence eh?

You don't have any idea what you're talking about. My 16yr old F-150 Supercrew still looks good, drives fine, and nothing rattles. I've owned 8 different brands of cars, and of those the Fords have been among the best.

You don't have any idea what you're talking about. My 16yr old F-150 Supercrew still looks good, drives fine, and nothing rattles. I've owned 8 different brands of cars, and of those the Fords have been among the best.

I wish that was true, could have saved a bit buying the same model year F150 instead of my TRD Tacoma.

But if you like your f150, that's cool, I know some folks who think sushi, lamb, sword fish, etc doesn't taste as good as a burger, fried chicken or Mac and cheese, everyone has their own tastes.

And you never fail to tell us yours James, which of course means your choices are best for everyone right? :rolleyes:

I wish that was true, could have saved a bit buying the same model year F150 instead of my TRD Tacoma.

But if you like your f150, that's cool, I know some folks who think sushi, lamb, sword fish, etc doesn't taste as good as a burger, fried chicken or Mac and cheese, everyone has their own tastes.

You sure have me figured out, O omniscient one. :rolleyes2:

If you want a vehicle to rattle, live on a dirt road. We haven't found a manufacturer yet, who's figured that one out. Neither have any of the neighbors... because if we had, it'd be what folks living out here would want to buy.

Closest to non-rattle are the various Subarus... but their latches all rattle eventually. Which is better than all the plastic interiors rattling in nearly everything else.

Really??

Did the ford dealer tell you that, or was it a "unbiased" opinion of some rag like motortrend?

Life's too short to drive crap ecno cars.

My father's 1990 F-150 SuperCab Lariat (5.0L) ran until he sold it with 150K miles on it and it looked brand new. He then replaced it with a '98 F-150 SuperCab Lariat (5.4L) which he sold to me, and I drove until it had 160K miles on it, still looked/ran like new when I sold it and replaced it with a 2008 SuperCrew (5.4L) which I still drive and it has 135K and looks like new. The ONLY items we ever had to replace outside of standard maintenance items were an alternator on the '90 and my '08 at well over 120K miles, and a heater core on the '98 around 130K. Fit and finish were fine, and there wasn't anything throw away about those vehicles. I also have an '07 GMC Sierra which, aside from some excess oil burn in the 5.3L, also runs like new with about 110K miles on it. The wife drove a '99 and an '01 GMC truck which I wasn't impressed with due to cheap parts (door/tailgate handles, electrical gremlins), but it always ran fine. My father also drove a Toyota pickup and an '85 Nissan King Cab when I was younger, which both lasted a long while and did what he needed them to do. The point I'm making is, I can't think of too many American-made trucks that are "throw away". The Toyota Tacoma can't be compared with an F-150 very well on the basis of price/resale value because they are different classes of truck. In general, the F-150 will tow 1.5-2Klbs more and haul another 500+ lbs, in addition to having significantly larger interior volume.

So, we've had a fairly wide array of trucks from different generations and manufacturers, both foreign and domestic. I'd say it's a decent sample size to make some informed opinions. I can't speak to the Ford Focus/Fusion longevity, but they seem to hold together just fine after a year or two when I've driven them as rentals, and drive just as nice as any Honda Accord or Toyota Camry that I've driven . . . and usually come loaded with features for a lower price than the similar Honda/Toyota offering. I won't personally be buying any of those models because they don't fit my needs, so it's a moot point to make in a thread about a new truck purchase.

I am getting ready to throw away my 2005 GMC 2500 Duramax.

It has a 1 inch tear in the seat fabric.

Plus it keeps wearing out the tires every 50-60,000 miles....

And every couple of weeks I have to put fuel in it....

Every year I have to change the oil in the engine, plus all the filters.... (2 oil, 2 fuel, 1 air) This winter it is due changing the fluids in the front and rear differentials, transfer case, transmission and power steering.

Biggest piece of crap I have ever owned.....:yes::lol::lol::lol:

Back