android flight tracker?

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
Is there an android app that will plot out your flights so you can go back and review them?

I've seen you tube videos where they do that, but the apps all seem to be ios.

If you are talking about something like the Cloud Ahoy tracking and debriefing tool, it is available for both iOS and Android.

Avare (for android) will record a flight track which you can then run into Google Earth for review.

Yes. That looks like exactly what I am looking for. Thanks
Good. If you did not already know, I think you will also find just about all EFBs have track logging capability and those track can be exported in a format readable by Cloud Ahoy (as well a Google Earth and other tools as mentioned by @Dana, for debriefing. So if you are already using one, you already have the logging ability.

Avare (for android) will record a flight track which you can then run into Google Earth for review.
Yeah, just remember not to turn the app off before transferring the crumbs. Avare forgets tracks when it is turned off ...

Yeah, just remember not to turn the app off before transferring the crumbs. Avare forgets tracks when it is turned off ...
Hi.
The latest version of Avare will try to save it, but it's still a good idea to Save before Exit / Power Off

Is there an android app that will plot out your flights so you can go back and review them?

I've seen you tube videos where they do that, but the apps all seem to be ios.

Naviator does it and does it very well. I leave tracking ON all the time, so all my flights are recorded (at 1 second intervals). Doesn't hurt a thing and is always available post flight for your review. There is a menu item in Naviator that allows you to download the flight as a GPX or KML, save to the "Naviator Hangar", or view in Google Earth. The Google Earth viewer allows you to fly it in the first or third person, and of course shows altitude too.

If it sounds like I am enthusiastic about Naviator, I am. I recenty installed Winn X Pro 7 on my Android and Naviator has so many more features and just runs great, all at a cost of $34/year. I am running an 8" Asus ZenPad Z580CA with 64GB built in and it absolutely does everything an iPad Mini can do plus some, at half the cost. This tablet or an equivalent quality tablet and the Naviator software is really a fantastic piece of equipment that is worth looking at for any level of GA use.

Us Android dudes love it. It's these itards that have to justify their subscriptions that choose to ignore the awesome that is Avare. :D
Not sure what the national pastime of trashing anyone who chooses another path than you has to do with the choice of EFBs. I look at Avare about once a year and still like other Android EFBs better.

If you use Android, you may have recorded your path without knowing it. Its not good for the purpose of flight review, but I thought it was cool that I had a couple of flights 'recorded' that I wasn't aware of. Go to https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?pb=!1m2!1m1!1s2016-12-06 then click on a calendar day that you made a flight, the path may be there. You can rename 'driving' to 'flying' by changing the dropdown on each segment. I found my student long XC on there, including my drive to lunch in the courtesy car, I thought that was cool.

Not sure what the national pastime of trashing anyone who chooses another path than you has to do with the choice of EFBs. I look at Avare about once a year and still like other Android EFBs better.
It is quite simple really...

Anyone that uses an iOS device or EFB other than Avare is wrong.

:D

If you believe in KISS (as I do), this is the app I recommend. I use it on my Android tablet to record all my GPS flight tracks (in addition to others -- it runs in parallel). I upload the data to DropBox, so I can access it from anywhere else for viewing (e.g. Google Earth) and/or processing (I have my own software that figures out the airports and logs it into my own flight database).
Just need to remember to start it before you go, and stop after you shutdown, so it won't track you all the way to your driveway.

If you believe in KISS (as I do), this is the app I recommend. I use it on my Android tablet to record all my GPS flight tracks (in addition to others -- it runs in parallel). I upload the data to DropBox, so I can access it from anywhere else for viewing (e.g. Google Earth) and/or processing (I have my own software that figures out the airports and logs it into my own flight database).
Just need to remember to start it before you go, and stop after you shutdown, so it won't track you all the way to your driveway.
I really like simple, i'll have to give this a try. Do you have any settings that work better for flying, like optimum frequency or distance settings?

I really like simple, i'll have to give this a try. Do you have any settings that work better for flying, like optimum frequency or distance settings?

Personally I use the minimum settings for each to get the best temporal and spatial resolution. Storage is not an issue, and the extra overhead is minimal if any, so why not get nice smooth contours on the tracks?

Back