Branson's Supersonic Plane

That thing looks slick!

5k for a round trip from NYC to London in first class going that fast is a bargain.

I just checked flights from JFK to LHR and 1st class is 5k, with the next cheapest being 7k and then it's up from there. That's also subsonic flying and taking 7 hours.

Wow.....3 1/2 hours from NYC to London.... That could mean one day business meetings including travel time.

I always regretted not taking the Concorde at Oshkosh when they were making those flights, as I recall it was only about $700, they didn't go anywhere but just up to Canada to break the sound barrier & back. But later had a chance to go on a Concorde on the ground & found out that they fly between 60,000-70,000 feet--it would be really neat to see the earth from that altitude. So if Branson does build this I will take a flight.

That's the one being built at KAPA. They had a gala and revealed the mock up to invited folks a few weeks ago.
That was a mock-up of "baby boom" not the eventual real deal

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I always regretted not taking the Concorde at Oshkosh when they were making those flights, as I recall it was only about $700, they didn't go anywhere but just up to Canada to break the sound barrier & back. But later had a chance to go on a Concorde on the ground & found out that they fly between 60,000-70,000 feet--it would be really neat to see the earth from that altitude. So if Branson does build this I will take a flight.

Me too....!!!!!

Using that logic (after looking at the picture) I guess my Cherokee is a "passenger plane" as well.

Their plan is to build a two seat (I think) supersonic plane first and then go full scale.

Doesn't look to me that 2-seater can carry anywhere enough fuel to get from NYC to London, so the byline on the photo would seem yet another "fake news" item. :D

Doesn't look to me that 2-seater can carry anywhere enough fuel to get from NYC to London, so the byline on the photo would seem yet another "fake news" item. :D

It's more than Raptor has produced. Plus, Branson actually has lots of money to drench the project in.

It's more than Raptor has produced. Plus, Branson actually has lots of money to drench the project in.

Why go to London when you can walk down to the next gate and maybe get a virgin ride into space? :cool:

The gear on that thing looks really tall. Whassup with that?

The gear on that thing looks really tall. Whassup with that?

Like the Concorde, the aerodynamics require a very low aspect ratio planform to combat shock wave and transonic transition issues. That means length over span. In order to rotate such a planform at speeds reasonable enough to utilize runways shorter than Cape Canaveral, taller gear is required.

Otherwise you end up with abortions like the POS 737-900.

Sweet now I can get to the west coast in 30 minutes. :)

What about this thing?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerion

DcYSmKQ.jpg

NASA is trying to push the state of the art with quiet sonic booms. Boom's design philosophy, on the other hand, is to only use tried-and-true design (existing engine cores, known aerodynamics, etc.). Boom is attempting to minimize execution risk to achieve commercial success.

NASA is trying to push the state of the art with quiet sonic booms. Boom's design philosophy, on the other hand, is to only use tried-and-true design (existing engine cores, known aerodynamics, etc.). Boom is attempting to minimize execution risk to achieve commercial success.

So will they fly the thing slow over land, like Braniff did with the Concorde?

If Boom's aiming for a US market and their configuration does not account for acoustic signature then they will be bound by the prohibition on supersonic flight over CONUS just as Concorde was. I have yet to see a business model for a supersonic bizjet that succeeds with this restriction. Aerion, OTOH, is (to the best of my knowledge) trying to get a low-boom configuration, but independently, outside of the N+2 and/or BAART contract world.

Nauga,
and his N-wave

Last edited:
NASA is trying to push the state of the art with quiet sonic booms. Boom's design philosophy, on the other hand, is to only use tried-and-true design...

Yup, supersonic over water only until regulations change.

In that NASA is pushing public-acceptance test flights of the low boom demonstrator as a means to get the regs changed, it is likely that new regs will have a reduced-signature requirement for overflight.

Nauga,
and his ICAO cycle

Another pipe dream.

Take three hours from your house to fly 3 1/2 hours to London (instead of 7) to take three hours to get to your final destination. Who cares?

Cheers

Back