Camping within a few hundred nm of Houston

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
I'm a big fan of flying to peaceful little airports for camping and exploring the area. I've recently moved to Houston, and am looking for good places to visit for this! I've got a couple of folding bicycles for getting around once on the ground. Can anyone offer some good suggestions?

Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas. Camping on the field. Not a lot really close to the airport to see, but take a look at Google Earth and see what you think. Also Gaston's White River Resort on White River in Arkansas. Beautiful and good trout fishing if you are into that.

Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas. Camping on the field. Not a lot really close to the airport to see, but take a look at Google Earth and see what you think. Also Gaston's White River Resort on White River in Arkansas. Beautiful and good trout fishing if you are into that.

Gaston's doesn't allow camping.

Do you require a "airport" or do you speak backcountry?

Do you require a "airport" or do you speak backcountry?

James, I fly a C172P with 180hp and wheel pants. I've got a little rough field experience but I'm no guru. I'm certainly open to all suggestions though, nothing lost if I decide it's outside my capabilities!

Another vote for Petit Jean in AR. We were there a couple weeks ago. Very nice campsites! There are only 5 tent sites at the airport but they are in a large fenced in area just a bit off the runway. Easy peasy. You can get a ride to the actual state park from the airport manager or call the lodge ($10 each way).

Gaston's is great for 'indoor' camping. Nice grass strip, nice rooms and cabins and great fishing.

James, you have other places? I speak a 'little' backcountry.

James, I fly a C172P with 180hp and wheel pants. I've got a little rough field experience but I'm no guru. I'm certainly open to all suggestions though, nothing lost if I decide it's outside my capabilities!

Not super sure about that area, but I'd imagine there might be some sweet spots around there, maybe hit up backcountrypilot too

Lake Whitney airport closed a few years ago. Evidently the new head of the park decided he didn't like the noise of the aircraft and he NOTAMED it closed.

Looks like the weather might not be great this weekend at Petit Jean. Any other suggestions in different directions? Big Bend might be a bit far for this trip.

It is not much closer than Big Bend SP, but Terlingua Ranch has a private dirt strip that I have been eyeing for a while for a trip from San Antonio.

Back