Headings

Luke

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
traindude2002
So I've been playing lots of FSX (No duh) since I have not scheduled a flight training session. And one difficulty that I have found while doing flights is figuring out a heading. Now with high tech airplanes with all the gizmos and gadgets It's easy to know my heading because A:Autopilot and B: it tells me my exact heading at all time. Now in non-high tech planes, all I have to help me is this.
VirticalCardCompass1.jpg
heading_indicator[1].gif

Now while these are helpful for knowing if I'm going North, South ,West , East or Weast It's not very helpful when ATC says my heading needs to be 325. Am I missing something, is something wrong with the game? Thanks, Luke

Uhh, the top is a vertical card compass, bottom is a DG, I think.

So get the plane all leveled out, sync the DG to the compass, turn to the heading that ATC gives you based on your DG.

Sure it does if ATC gives you a heading that vertical card compass and directional gyro will show 325. Easy..I think you're over thinking it..

See the numer 30 on the bottom DG? that's a 300 degree heading. The bigger hashes in between the numbers are 10's..So after 30 the next big hash is a 310 heading. The next is 320 and the smaller hash is 5's. So that would be your 325 heading you would turn too.

wait.gif

Hmmm....I wonder if the trolls are out tonight?

Last edited:
So I've been playing lots of FSX (No duh) since I have not scheduled a flight training session. And one difficulty that I have found while doing flights is figuring out a heading. Now with high tech airplanes with all the gizmos and gadgets It's easy to know my heading because A:Autopilot and B: it tells me my exact heading at all time. Now in non-high tech planes, all I have to help me is this.
VirticalCardCompass1.jpg
heading_indicator[1].gif

Now while these are helpful for knowing if I'm going North, South ,West , East or Weast It's not very helpful when ATC says my heading needs to be 325. Am I missing something, is something wrong with the game? Thanks, Luke
Your profile says your 14, getting a head start I guess. Yea, just add a 0 to each of those values on the DG or compass and interpolate the lines in between, either 10 or 5 degrees. 3 is 30, next unlabeled line is 40, dot between is 35, etc.

Your profile says your 14, getting a head start I guess. Yea, just add a 0 to each of those values on the DG or compass and interpolate the lines in between, either 10 or 5 degrees. 3 is 30, next unlabeled line is 40, dot between is 35, etc.
Sure it does if ATC gives you a heading that vertical card compass and directional gyro will show 325. Easy..I think you're over thinking it..

See the numer 30 on the bottom DG? that's a 300 degree heading. The bigger hashes in between the numbers are 10's..So after 30 the next big hash is a 310 heading. The next is 320 and the smaller hash is 5's. So that would be your 325 heading you would turn too.

Uhh, the top is a vertical card compass, bottom is a DG, I think.

So get the plane all leveled out, sync the DG to the compass, turn to the heading that ATC gives you based on your DG.
Thanks

Back