Working part time at a FBO

lexustbs

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lexustbs
I am wanting to get my PPL coming up soon. Right now my budget allows me around 50 hours of flying a year. To increase that, I was looking for part time work at my local airport.

Two questions:

1. Do any of you work part time at a airport to earn extra flying time? What type of job do you perform if so? Do you trade work for flight time?

2. For a PPL and vfr only, is 50 hours a year a good number? Will I even get close to that being I work on week days and weather might cancel weekend ventures?

Just curious as to these questions. I don't want to earn my certificate, then become a rusty and unsafe pilot due to lack of training. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

50 hrs a year is less than 5 hrs a month. That one short cross country or a couple of hamburger runs. Will you be 'unsafe', probably not, but you'll certainly have to pay more attention.

1. Do any of you work part time at a airport to earn extra flying time? What type of job do you perform if so? Do you trade work for flight time?

Never have. I think there's jobs out there that pay a little better per hour, and that's the measure you should look at. Make sure you're not getting hosed on hours worked vs normal rental price, if you go that route.

For kids looking to put "aviation" jobs on a resume', the airport jobs give them something other than the paycheck, and there's kids lined up out the door most of the time who want airport jobs... so I'd generally say you can probably do better with more hours at your own job, or a different part-time job, especially if you can minimize travel time to/from the job, to make "flying money".

Just my opinion, there could always be an airport so hard up that they're paying great wages, but I haven't seen that.

So generally I would say that if you don't need the resume' line item or the networking that working on the airport provides, nah. Don't bother.

Just bust some butt elsewhere.

When I learned to fly I worked three jobs, one at a gas station, one throwing baggage at the "big" airport, and one as a phone operator -- and I was looking to move to public safety dispatch (and doing an extended internship at a 911 office, pre E911 days) to replace two of those jobs.

Paid WAY better than pumping gas or working the counters at the airport(s).

2. For a PPL and vfr only, is 50 hours a year a good number? Will I even get close to that being I work on week days and weather might cancel weekend ventures?

While it may be down near the minimums for proficiency and therefore safety, I think a lot of folks are exactly where you're at. There's only 52 weeks a year, and an hour a week stretches many budgets for fun flyers. Usually folks have a couple of weekends booked up so you're talking a couple hours every other week in that hypothetical and I think that's pretty normal.

That said, the pilot population runs the gamut from "horribly bad" to "very well prepared but knows their limitations" in the weekend warrior crowd and you'd want to strive to be toward the latter end of that spectrum. Toss in some safety seminars and personal study and keep the brain going and be careful about weather until the opportunity arises to make some long cross countries and see real weather changes enroute, and you'll do fine.

Make friends at the club / airport and ride along, or share flights and keep learning and soaking in the stuff the old farts know that seems sane and dump the bad stuff.

And about that long XC... try to do some. You'll learn faster what it's all about if you really use the airplane to travel VFR and it'll probably whet your appetite for the Instrument ticket and more training down the road. Don't just do the same laps around the pattern every time you go out. Save up a few bucks and go somewhere.

Now one more thing... I wouldn't recommend your PPL training be done that slow. It can be done but a couple of weeks between flights is a really long time and you'll forget way too much and your muscle memory / skill manipulating the aircraft will suffer a lot with that much time between flying sessions.

I'd try to save up for a bit and do the training faster. A couple hours a week is about as slow as you probably realistically can go and retain most of it.

But there are pilots and instructors who have worked out the molasses slow once a week or less schedules -- it has been done -- but it will take you longer overall and present an additional challenge to stay motivated and also keep your head in the material.

"Them's" some thoughts, as grandpa used to say.

Working at a FBO is good for networking, and meeting other pilots and aircraft owners who may invite you to fly with them.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with flying 50 hours a year. You CAN maintain proficiency on as little as 20 hours a year, if you do it right: flying every three weeks, doing proficiency flying at least every third flight, flying with other pilots and splitting cross-countries so you can fly a cross country without logging more than a hour, etc. at 50 hours a year you can do all of that plus add in a few longer cross country trips.

I've worked part time at an airport for over 5 years now, in addition to my regular non-aviation job. I've never done it with the intent to pay for flying lessons, although if I figured my profits vs. what I've spent on aviation I'd guess that my labor has come close to covering my expenses. I already had my private pilot certificate and owned an airplane when I started working at the airport, I just kind of got sucked into being involved at the airport and ended up working there.

I have several friends and coworkers who have earned their certificates while they worked at the airport, essentially doing what you're asking about doing. Whether or not there are better ways to pay for flight training is debatable and situation dependent. You'd need to talk to whomever you'd be working for to get a better idea of what they're willing to pay and/or what they would charge you for each hour of flight time if you became an employee.

One thing that the guys who have never worked at an airport will not understand is the education you will get from being around an airport all the time. You will end up meeting and knowing most of the regulars within your local aviation community and likely find out first hand how much time and effort it takes to keep an airport maintained and operational. There's always something to do, even at a small airport. You will also likely get to observe the pilots who visit the airport and how they act and fly, both good and bad.

As far as 50 hours a year of flying time goes, that would probably be above average for hobby type pilots who are not seeking to add additional ratings and/or not looking to build time quickly to make a career out of flying. Some people will do more, some people will do less. What you do in the hours you do fly is likely more important than the quantity of hours if you want to maintain proficiency.

I'll be lucky to make 50 this year. Between time in the shop and moving plus the new job., I've been buried. Last year was great at 110 hours, but I'm having withdrawals right now.

A lot of pilots fly less than 50 hours a year, especially non-owners. Flying is expensive, even more so if you have to rent. It's a little early to get wrapped around the axle about how much you might hypothetically be able to fly after getting your ticket. Just do that, the rest will fall into place depending on how much you want to fly once you can.

Now one more thing... I wouldn't recommend your PPL training be done that slow. It can be done but a couple of weeks between flights is a really long time and you'll forget way too much and your muscle memory / skill manipulating the aircraft will suffer a lot with that much time between flying sessions.

I'd try to save up for a bit and do the training faster. A couple hours a week is about as slow as you probably realistically can go and retain most of it.

Speaking as an experienced CFI, I agree with this 100%. I've seen students fly once every couple of weeks, once a month even, and most of what we do on the next flight is go over and relearn the previous lesson. It's actually cheaper to have 1-2 lessons a week, more is even better, and get done sooner than to drag it out. As Nate said, if you could save your money up and then begin training so that you could fly 2-3 times a week that would be a lot more beneficial and quicker regarding your training towards a PPC. Good luck. As Ringo says, "It Ain't Easy". Many of us have been there.

Thanks for all the responses. The training I would complete as fast as possible. The reason for my airport job question was more about trading working for more opportunity to fly with others and network. Also gathering a few extra dollars for more flight time would be good too.

I have set aside x number of dollars a year AFTER training at my current salary that would equal to around 50 hours of flying time. I have read several post about people with full time jobs that were happy to break 50 hours so I was curious how much people that work for a living and fly for a hobby actually take to the sky's.

If it floats, flies or fu....... It's cheaper to rent. :yes:

If you tallied up what I have paid, bounced that against the flight hours, my Lance has run hour for hour ,more than a King Air C90. I rough guessed it at $1k/hour this year. A new panel and some awe shiiiiite squawks will do that.

If you are very budget restricted, rent if all you can do is 50 hours. Club is also a good way. I'd go club, but I'm selfish and don't like to share my toys well. :arf:

Some FBO's will let you work to help pay for flight time but it's very miniscule. 8 hours of labor translates to about .8 of Hobbs time or less.

If it floats, flies or fu....... It's cheaper to rent.
I guess that's OK if you want to fly, float or... well... whatever... someone else's ride whenever no one else is using it. You don't HAVE to spend a thousand bucks an hour to fly your own airplane.

1.) There's usually more than one way to do things and 2.) "Cheapest" does not often equal "best".

I was making the point that if he's only gonna budget for 50 hours in a 172, just rent. He'll spend much more owning.

just do it....I know a few folks who got their start working at the FBO. Knowing folks and bumming rides goes a long ways.

I am wanting to get my PPL coming up soon. Right now my budget allows me around 50 hours of flying a year. To increase that, I was looking for part time work at my local airport.

Two questions:

Just curious as to these questions. I don't want to earn my certificate, then become a rusty and unsafe pilot due to lack of training. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Regarding question #2
I completed my pilot certificate at about 32 hours per year, in 2 years. I figured if I couldn't get proficient enough to complete the certificate in the expected monthly hours that I could budget ongoing then I shouldn't get the certificate. Your key will be to find an airplane and instructor that is not going anywhere and that meshes with your schedule.

There are 4 weekends a month, so that's 8 days a month to work with, you should be able to hit your target of 50 hours(4 hours a month) fairly easily I would think.

I've flown on average 50 hours a year since obtaining my PPL 5 years ago. I usually do the hamburger flight thing every other weekend and sometimes more often during the summer( about 2.0 on the Hobbs). The truth is,around me,those 2.0 cost me around 270 dollars. I'm ok with that as I rent, but I just can't really afford much more. If I could, I would! I've considered the part time FBO job during the summer in the past( I'm a teacher so I have Summer's off) but I've never pursued it seriously because of a few factors. I just don't think the people get payed enough to make it worth while. Also, if I'm working, those are hours I can't be flying. The way I look at it is the fact that I'm working at the FBO and eating away at flyable hours, I may in fact, fly less! For example, I used to work at a golf course during the summer. I had a nice time and one of the perks was I could play golf for free. However, the hours we were allowed to play for free were not desirable and, most often, I was working on the weekends just for this rarely used opportunity. It just stopped making sense and I gave it up. Something for you to consider is that working at an FBO may not mean flying more.

As far as safety and 50 hours goes, I think that is entirely up to you and how good your training was/is in the first place. I feel safe while flying but I don't push my limits. I fly on mostly nice days and try to keep my skills sharp by being precise while flying( maintaining an altitude, making stable approaches and such.) I kind of had this driven into me during my training-- I once had a CFI tell me that if you are supposed to maintain 4,500 then that altimeter needle better be covering the 5 not the 6 as 4,600 is not 4,500. So, if you fly precise, 50 hours is fine. If you are just a glorified passenger on your own plane, then 50 hours may not be enough, but I also doubt 250 a year would make a difference in that case!

Flying 50 hours a year is perfectly acceptable. Supplement it with some good reading material at home, and some at-home sim time if you're able to.

I definitely encourage people to work at airports, whether it's on the line at an FBO, handling bags at an airline, or working in some sort of customer service role. The closer contact you have with pilots, the better it will be for you if your long-term goal is to fly professionally. Even without pilot contact, you can learn a whole lot about the industry by working behind the scenes.

Back