Aircraft ownership.

Crane Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
crane pilot
I have been thinking about buying an aircraft for instruction/time-building. I will use it for my instrument ,and commercial and also to build supplemental time to the ATP, along with the proverbial $100.00 hamburger ,exploration. I have been wondering about some real world numbers of an Arrow vs. Cherokee 180 vs. Cessna 172,182 , fixed gear vs. straight leg. I am aware of all the variables , like tie-down , insurance , and fuel usage. I am just curious of your ideas and suggestions. This will hopefully be a long term and lots of hours purchase.

Mooney M20C with manual gear. Excellent IFR platform, and qualifies as complex for commercial, also cheap (145 kts at 8 gph) for cross country flying, also important for the commercial. The manual gear is bullet proof and nothing to go wrong (no more expensive then fixed gear to maintain).

You can buy My 1994 Mooney M20M with ALL new avionics including GTN750 and TKS (should you encounter icing, yes even in FL at high altitudes... where the Mooney likes to be). N64HK, find it on Trade-a-Plane.

How quick are you going to work through the extra ratings?
I believe they are starting the process go remove the complex time from the commercial requirement. Granted it will still probably be a few years, but it might be something you want to consider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

If i was going to buy a plane just for IR/Commercial training/time building i would decide if i was going to go CSEL or CMEL. If you go commercial mutli first, in a rental, you dont need a single for complex time, or the check ride. So you can get a 172, cherokee, etc to train and build time in.
If I wanted to go CSEL, I would buy a cheap a retract, M20C, older arrow, etc so i was building time in the plane I would use for check ride and not have to rent a different plane. Thats just me though.

good luck

How quick are you going to work through the extra ratings?
I believe they are starting the process go remove the complex time from the commercial requirement. Granted it will still probably be a few years, but it might be something you want to consider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Like yesterday. Well as quickly as money allows and as much free time I have. I am only now able to fly one day a week due to work constraints.

If i was going to buy a plane just for IR/Commercial training/time building i would decide if i was going to go CSEL or CMEL. If you go commercial mutli first, in a rental, you dont need a single for complex time, or the check ride. So you can get a 172, cherokee, etc to train and build time in.
If I wanted to go CSEL, I would buy a cheap a retract, M20C, older arrow, etc so i was building time in the plane I would use for check ride and not have to rent a different plane. Thats just me though.

good luck
I am going to do both CSEL and CMEL. even though I will be building time and xcountry time speed is not a real big concern but I would like to go faster that half the speed of smell. LMAO. Something to take a lunch trip from Orlando to maybe New Orleans without having to leave the day before.

You can buy My 1994 Mooney M20M with ALL new avionics including GTN750 and TKS (should you encounter icing, yes even in FL at high altitudes... where the Mooney likes to be). N64HK, find it on Trade-a-Plane.
I don't think your aircraft will be in my allowable budget of below 40k. Also I need to work some pee hour rates to see how that will work in my plan.

I am going to do both CSEL and CMEL. even though I will be building time and xcountry time speed is not a real big concern but I would like to go faster that half the speed of smell. LMAO. Something to take a lunch trip from Orlando to maybe New Orleans without having to leave the day before.

That's not realistic. Even on a Very Fast Plane (150kts block speed so turbo Cirrus territory), that's a 7-8 hour return trip.

Back