number of hours to swap engine?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
What is a SWAG on the number of hours it would take an A&P to perform an engine swap on a 1940s-era aircraft?

Think Cub/Luscombe/120/140/etc.

Cub should be done in a single day, 120/140, two days at the most. This is with the assumption that the mechanic has everything needed in the way of hardware at hand and it's just a just a straight swap.

Lots of variables. I wouldn't expect a Cub swap
in 8 hours. More like 12. Cessna not much
longer. If the old engine's been in there a long time it'll take longer for old oil lines, stuck
nuts, etc.

Cub should be done in a single day, 120/140, two days at the most. This is with the assumption that the mechanic has everything needed in the way of hardware at hand and it's just a just a straight swap.

Thanks!

Lol. The OP made my mind jump to WW2 aircraft when I saw "1940s-era". That would be a far different discussion and answers. :)

Identical engines? Are the cowls already off? Prop? There's often more to the swap than just substituting the old engine for the new.

What is a SWAG on the number of hours it would take an A&P to perform an engine swap on a 1940s-era aircraft?
I've owned a cub , 2 140s and two taylorcrafts. Also a champ. All took over one day , usually two or three, maybe a week. Reasons usually included mechanic did not have replacement part, found muffler to have a leak, had to take off and repair, rubber shocks that bolt to engine mount not in stock, one cylinder compression very low, replaced, etc. etc. ( all these aircraft had been rebuilt and were in very good condition but when aircraft are 50-70 years old things happen. ) two were trophy winners.

I have swapped an engine in 8 hours or less. A lot of time is spent safety wiring baffling and accessories. If you don't have to swap baffles and assesories it can be done in less time.

My engine rebuild on the 120 it took 1 hour to remove the engine and put it in my jeep. to put it back on after over haul required 4 hours.
On the 170 that got tipped up at AWO I took it off in 3 hours because the cowl was messed up really bad, after rebuild putting it back was a full day because we had to re-fit the new cowl.
When you are not disassembling the engine on the mount, it is simply a throttle cable, 1 fuel hose, mixture cable, generator 2 leads, oil temp probe and oil pressure line, then any thing fouling the mount, and the mounts them selves. then pull it.

Got the right tools? easy do in 4 hours.

Back