How cheap is your airplane

My C77R does better than my friend's Bo or my buddy's RV.
C77R: (140KTAS / 8gph * 4) 70
S35: (160KTAS / 15gph * 4) 43
RV6: (155KTAS / 9gph * 2) 34

But my buddy also flies a jet for a living and with its carrying capacity, it easily outdoes his li'l RV:
Jet: (615KTAS / 133gph * 11) 51
But I would not want to own it for its operational costs! :D

But my buddy also flies a jet for a living and with its carrying capacity, it easily outdoes his li'l RV:
I'm calling BS on the C77R....and if it's true, I'm changing the Bo to a 6 seater. :lol:

Last edited:
Mooney M20R 175kts, 12.5gph, 4 = 56

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

615KTAS? Cool, what's this jet that carries 11 people and can supposedly super-cruise?

615KTAS? Cool, what's this jet that carries 11 people and can supposedly super-cruise?
My bad, my mistake. I should have looked up the registration, it is actually a 12-seater, colloquially called "The *** Canoe", aka IAI 1124A. Absolute rocket ship that can cruise at .80. I had the honor to fly in that thing a few times. Couldn't wipe the grin off my face for a few days after. :)
New math: (615KTAS / 133gph * 12) 55

I'm calling BS on the C77R....and if it's true, I'm changing the Bo to a 6 seater. :lol:
Ask any C77R owner. That's why we got it to begin with. One of the big deciding factors was economy in cruise with the li'l 4-banger IO-360. Love it! I cannot match Mooney numbers but wife prefers the comfort and barn doors. :)

Don't tempt me, a local club just acquired a 6-seater Bo with a TIO-550. Eep! They are looking for more members. Now THAT would be a nice machine to fly. I am drooling already. But we don't need 6 seats.

Somebody should run the numbers on an Airbus A380, just for fun.

CRJ-900: 485ktas / 530gph X 81sob = 74er

My bad, my mistake. I should have looked up the registration, it is actually a 12-seater, colloquially called "The *** Canoe", aka IAI 1124A. Absolute rocket ship that can cruise at .80. I had the honor to fly in that thing a few times. Couldn't wipe the grin off my face for a few days after. :)
New math: (615KTAS / 133gph * 12) 55
I think your true might be a bit quick there...

Somebody should run the numbers on an Airbus A380, just for fun.
480ktas / 3,980gps X 890sob = 107er

I'm only interested in the numbers on something I could choose to own and fly
So, the old fat boy, flying sweet potato, Apache has an ER = 36
But (and it has a big butt) it has a spare engine.
So let's all shut off one engine on the vaunted Mooneys, or whatever, and see who has bragging rights

The Mooney does sound inviting but:

My 1962 Cherokee 160 annual was $450, plus a few more $ for this-n-that which totaled less than $750 this year. If I get hit with my step-son's annual of his Mooney a couple times, I would be grounded. His annual will be over $2,500 just for parts this year as compared to less than $300 on mine. Maybe it will settle down after awhile, but a couple more big hits and I would be grounded and outta the flying biz. Sure, I will get hit at some point, but every year?

It's all relative though: My stepson had a Beech Baron and it's annual was over $12,000 for both years that he had it. That Mooney is cheap to own comparatively for him. He just can't take a half dozen people in that Mooney which is something his budget had to accept. The Mooney fit his budget just fine and gives him the speed among other needs such as auto-pilot. Plus, he gets to claim it cost him less to fly. He uses less fuel per mile than I do and gets there way quicker.

We have not even mentioned the purchase price, mine was less that half either of his planes.

So for the 60-80 hrs a year I fly, I will have to put up with a little fuel mileage cost. But dang, I still have the envy.

The CAFE folks over in Santa Rosa (CAFE -- Competition for Aircraft Fuel Efficiency) have developed a formula for their competition that is exactly what you are looking for. You might want to find that formula and use it for your comparison(s).

Jim

$350 annuals, 7 GPH, 140 knots, what's not to like???

Just listing some internet lore.:):p:p

The Mooney does sound inviting but:

My 1962 Cherokee 160 annual was $450, plus a few more $ for this-n-that which totaled less than $750 this year. If I get hit with my step-son's annual of his Mooney a couple times, I would be grounded. His annual will be over $2,500 just for parts this year as compared to less than $300 on mine. Maybe it will settle down after awhile, but a couple more big hits and I would be grounded and outta the flying biz. Sure, I will get hit at some point, but every year?

It's all relative though: My stepson had a Beech Baron and it's annual was over $12,000 for both years that he had it. That Mooney is cheap to own comparatively for him. He just can't take a half dozen people in that Mooney which is something his budget had to accept. The Mooney fit his budget just fine and gives him the speed among other needs such as auto-pilot. Plus, he gets to claim it cost him less to fly. He uses less fuel per mile than I do and gets there way quicker.

We have not even mentioned the purchase price, mine was less that half either of his planes.

So for the 60-80 hrs a year I fly, I will have to put up with a little fuel mileage cost. But dang, I still have the envy.

And that's why many of us fly Vintage Mooneys. I'm looking at another $850 annual plus a nose tire & tube come January. My Mooney is 25% slower, use 50% less fuel and am probably 300% as old (or more) and 15% the purchase price as your step-son's, but it works well for me.

I would like to point out something, pilots seem to be the worst at having to justify the cost of owning something. Do people worry about their boat making financial sense? How about a sports car? Yet most pilots will look at the numbers 15 different ways to justify the cost of ownership. Just an observation.

747-400: 495 knots / (20,000 lb/hr / 6.8 lb/gal) * 400 passengers = 67.3.

And that's using some conservative estimates. You can squeeze a lot more than 400 passengers into an ER if you're willing to ignore evacuation and cram them in. And the 747-8 will have even higher specs.

The statistic is silly. A 747 is NOT more economical than a 172 unless you have 400 people wanting to fly all the time.

A380 all economy seating config - 551kts, 27,000lb/hr, 825pax = 113

Back