I need a video to prove the earth spins to a flat earther.

I have looked everywhere for a video of a gyroscope that showes the earth rotating but I can't find one. This moron I work with thinks the earth is flat. He said if I showed him a video he would believe it. I can't find any thing but a animation from the 60s please help.

Just convert that animation from the 60's to a video and upload it to Youtube. Problem solved.

So do flat earth people actually believe this or is it more of a troll to irritate people? I always wondered this.
First of all what is a troll For real.

No there are some things that don't add up
I guess you think the moon landings were real too.

Back when Rutan and Yeager were flyin around the world, one of the network news stations had an interview with a guy from the flat earth society. He was the prez or CEO or chairman or something like that. I figured the flat earth society would be some group that likes to have fun with stuff like this. Turns out they are for real and this Clyde is on the national news trying to sell it that the Voyager flight was a hoax.
East west is easy. North south that's the tricky way.

We should start a charity that provides coloring books for these 'Flat Earth' people. Maybe that'll keep them away from the internet.

The Vikings did NOT "discover" America. It was already there and there were people living in it already.

Cheers

Someone who chooses to believe the earth is flat is practicing religion. You won't convince him because he is driven by emotion, not evidence. Laugh and move on.

First of all what is a troll For real.

No there are some things that don't add up
I guess you think the moon landings were real too.

Having met quite a number of folks who worked on it, yes.

There is a very nice website debunking the "hoax" BS. http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html . There only things that don't add up are the conspiracy theorists' ideas. They are based on deeply flawed thinking in every respect.

And you're a troll because you lied about your motivation.

heh - the other day I saw a FB comment that made me laugh: "You are a terrible troll. And I don't mean that in a "meanie" sort of way, I mean that you just aren't very good at it."

Yes but that's not the point. I just want to know why a gyro won't show the earth turning. I know there is a reason, I just need to find it.

A true, perfect gyro will.

Gyros used in airplanes are designed not to, and are intentionally imperfect to find which way is up. As pilots, we care where the horizon (or true north or the turn rate) is, not the stars. A little research will find detailed descriptions of erection mechanisms.

I don't give a damn how rapidly I turn around the vertical where I left. Or where north was when I left. Or the horizon. I want them all now, or they do me no good at all.

Though, to be honest, if you buy into moon conspiracy crap, it's very likely to be over your head.

Though, to be honest, if you buy into moon conspiracy crap, it's very likely to be over your head.

Conspiracy theorists are not often limited by intelligence or reason. It is perspective that they lack.

Conspiracy theorists are not often limited by intelligence or reason. It is perspective that they lack.

Have you read some of these conspiracy theories?

Reason is definitely lacking in at least some cases, and the moon hoax BS is one of them. Most of the arguments can be summed up by assuming there is air on the moon.

Gyros used in airplanes are designed not to, and are intentionally imperfect to find which way is up. As pilots, we care where the horizon (or true north or the turn rate) is, not the stars. A little research will find detailed descriptions of erection mechanisms.

I don't give a damn how rapidly I turn around the vertical where I left. Or where north was when I left. Or the horizon. I want them all now, or they do me no good at all.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Are you refuting to shuler tuning. I'm don't think I said that right. Have you ever scene a perfect gyro work. Thanks for the answer above it was actually helpful.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Are you refuting to shuler tuning. I'm don't think I said that right. Have you ever scene a perfect gyro work. Thanks for the answer above it was actually helpful.

I use good gyros to stabilize my telescope. There is no such thing as a truly perfect gyro, but these are good enough to track stars, rather than the earth.

Reason is definitely lacking in at least some cases, and the moon hoax BS is one of them. Most of the arguments can be summed up by assuming there is air on the moon.
After The wright brothers flight everyone is flying. all of mans conquest are followed by more people doing the same thing. Except for space. It seamed like the technology of the 60s was better than today's. NASA went to the moon 7 times in 4 years but virgin galactic can't even orbit the earth with better everything. It's not logical. explain the air on the moon thing.

I use good gyros to stabilize my telescope. There is no such thing as a truly perfect gyro, but these are good enough to track stars, rather than the earth.
So it moves with the star. Sounds cool and expensive. does the telescope move. Also have you ever viewed the iss.

Explain the air on the moon

If there is no such thing as a perfect gyro how do you know what it will do. it's a fair question.

Not really, although I've been exposed to some. I've chosen to follow Chesterton's advice and avoid engaging them. This is what I was referring to about reason:
"If you argue with a madman, it is extremely probable that you will get the worst of it; for in many ways his mind moves all the quicker for not being delayed by things that go with good judgment. He is not hampered by a sense of humour or by clarity, or by the dumb certainties of experience. He is the more logical for losing certain sane affections. Indeed, the common phrase for insanity is in this respect a misleading one. The madman is not the man who has lost his reason. The madman is the man who has lost everything except his reason."

—G. K. Chesterton

So it moves with the star. Sounds cool and expensive. does the telescope move. Also have you ever viewed the iss.

Of course the telescope moves. One that doesn't is useless. We can point it where we need.

ISS can be seen with an unaided eye if you're near enough its orbit just after sunset, while it is still in light but the surface of the earth isn't. You don't need a telescope for that. And yes, I've seen it. This is DIRECT evidence for a round earth, as a flat one should not be able to do that.

We did use Echostar 11 to test a few algorithms. Big surprise, it was exactly where we thought it should be, and it moved just as it was supposed to against the stars.

If there is no such thing as a perfect gyro how do you know what it will do. it's a fair question.

No, it isn't.

I don't even know where to start.

How do we know what airplanes do, when there is no such thing as a perfect airplane? Same question.

Sorry, this is like trying teach a blind person how to read. Gyroscopes are not magic devices bestowed by the Gods. They were invented.

Prove it's flat. Go.
Can't prove it's flat but it's not spinning.
the earth
Sinning 1000 mph
Orbiting 65000 mph
Following the sun 600000 mph
Following the Milky Way 1.3 million mph.
And a gyroscope doesn't move. Two options
Gyroscopes don't work or we are not spinning.
If you have another reason I would like to here it thanks for the question it was a good one. too the point.

the earth
Sinning 1000 mph
Orbiting 65000 mph
If you have another reason I would like to here it thanks for the question it was a good one. too the point.
Sinning I did not proof read very well. How bout spinning.

OK, good point.
Thanks. You have sound reasoning. I'm not trying to convince anyone of flat or sphere spinning or stoped. I'm trying to find information for me. it's not emotionally driven.
Thanks for all the input so far.

the earth
Sinning 1000 mph
Orbiting 65000 mph

GAWD, this is just full of wrong.

All it proves is you don't understand the basics.

Yes, I can account for that and more when pointing a telescope.

Of course the telescope moves. One that doesn't is useless. We can point it where we need.

ISS can be seen with an unaided eye if you're near enough its orbit just after sunset, while it is still in light but the surface of the earth isn't. You don't need a telescope for that. And yes, I've seen it. This is DIRECT evidence for a round earth, as a flat one should not be able to do that.

We did use Echostar 11 to test a few algorithms. Big surprise, it was exactly where we thought it should be, and it moved just as it was supposed to against the stars.
I wasn't clear with my question but that was a funny comment. I meant does it move on it's own. And I can barely see a jet at 10 miles up How can we see a object slightly larger at 280 miles away with just our eyes. What is echostar11

Stop it. You're feeding an obvious troll. He said he's trying to prove a friend wrong about flat earther BS. Then starts spouting the same uninformed drivel. And you've been baited. Stop it. You're better than that.

I wasn't clear with my question but that was a funny comment. I meant does it move on it's own. And I can barely see a jet at 10 miles up How can we see a object slightly larger at 280 miles away with just our eyes. What is echostar11

Oh boy.

For starters, ISS doesn't look like a jet. It might be night, but it's in bright sunlight. Very high contrast. And not hard at all to see.

If you put a jet 10 miles up, and shined an incredibly bright light on it at night, you would see it just fine.

Help me understand. How are the states the same when we are on the other side of the sun.

Back