John Travolta and his Boeing 727

t was a successful landing, but there is a lot more to it than that.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
yes and the controller was just trying to help with a weak transponder and things got a little too close. no one was busted .he always fly's with another pilot even in the eclipse hell he has 2 pilots on his full-time staff why would not bring them with you.

yes and the controller was just trying to help with a weak transponder and things got a little too close. no one was busted .he always fly's with another pilot even in the eclipse hell he has 2 pilots on his full-time staff why would not bring them with you.
Right. He even stated on Carson that he had way more experience than most airline pilots.

I wonder how airliners are operated under part 91 in general too. Sometimes at work, we ferry white tails that aren't on the OPS Spec yet for Mx. Our group gets involved if they need an authorization to refer to previous operators MEL for a deferral. There is no valid MEL with FAA approval letter until it's in service and it goes on the Ops Spec. Usually, it's for some small thing like a cockpit switch annunciatior or something. I just crank out what the FAA approved policy says to, and there are flight restrictions (daytime, VFR) but I do wonder what actually defines the minimum equipment requirement. TOMATO FLAMES just doesn't even begin to cover an airplane so complex.
What purpose does the MMEL have?

What purpose does the MMEL have?
That's the starting document that an airline uses when it starts to develop its MEL. They take the things from the MMEL that are applicable to their aircraft's configuration and their airline's authorizations to create their MEL.

Jenny travolta might be a pilot and a so called celebrity but he has done nothing to help promote it. Never seen him at oshykoshy and you haven't seen him anywhere else. I would move him up on my give-a-**** meter if he would give back to aviation like some others have. By the way, tommy cruise is supposedly a pilot and foes nothing for it just like Jenny travolta, there is a great story of tommy balling up a Pitts but that is for another thread.

Right. He even stated on Carson that he had way more experience than most airline pilots.
12,500 hours mostly turbine is not to shabby if you average out regional kids and every one else . he is somewhat of a low profile guy and **** written by the tabloids and and shown on tabloid shows most of the time is fiction. he is a good guy stop busting on him.

I find it somewhat ironic when people bash on celebrities for publicly suposrting a cause they disagree with, while we also hear complaints that they aren't supporting a cause we would like to see promoted.

I am clueless as to how good of a pilot he is but I have never been a fan of his acting.

Travolta named his son Jett. I was expecting to him to name his daughter Propellerr, but they decided on Ella.

He has been a very successful actor. I seem to detect a lot of envy here. There was another actor, not Nearly as good, who became President. He flew often on Air Force one , charging it to us . travolta pays his own way.

I am clueless as to how good of a pilot he is but I have never been a fan of his acting.

Love his movies, whatya talkin' about! Pulp Fiction, Get Shorty, that angel one (Michael?), others.

Love his movies, whatya talkin' about! Pulp Fiction, Get Shorty, that angel one (Michael?), others.

You don't even mention his greatest works...

(JamieR)__LookWhosTalkingNow(2).jpg

Meh didn't see that one at all, and I think I'm glad I didn't.

I find it somewhat ironic when people bash on celebrities for publicly suposrting a cause they disagree with, while we also hear complaints that they aren't supporting a cause we would like to see promoted.
I'm not seeing the irony.

That's the starting document that an airline uses when it starts to develop its MEL. They take the things from the MMEL that are applicable to their aircraft's configuration and their airline's authorizations to create their MEL.
Incorrect. It's the Master, MEL. Operators can make their MEL more restrictive, but not less restrictive.

I just don't think it would be much fun to be behind the airplane every time you went up to fly.

I would think that realistic flying a plane that big would require flying every few days.

He may be rated for the plane, he may be a pilot, but I don't think I would go up with him.

I have an instrument rating. I would have a hard time flying approaches today as I have not be proficient in almost 2 years.

Nah, I'll take the 172, steep turns, power on stalls, and turns around a point any day over his jet.

The jet I fly on my MS2004 simulator. :)

Terry

Doesn't travolta live close to you? Can't be that far from Boca Del Vista?
Actually he's way north. That strip he's on was actually developed by the guy who invented nautilus gym gear back in the 80s. I think they used to have rescued circus critters roaming around as well.

Incorrect. It's the Master, MEL. Operators can make their MEL more restrictive, but not less restrictive.
He didn't say anything about being less restrictive...he's just talking about not putting something in the Operator's MEL that isn't in the airplane. Many MMELs are written to cover a range of aircraft and options, not all of which will apply to a given airframe.

the air-park 17fl is located 10 north of ocala .as a sad note he lost his son jett around 2009 who had health issues most of his life. i have been told he was/is a great parent. we all should wish to be able to say that.

I'm not sure what you think is incorrect. Your comments are consistent with mine.

What I was talking about was how the MMEL includes all possible configurations. For example, the MMEL for a B737 includes an entry(ies) for a HUD. Airlines that have HUDs installed in their fleet will include the HUD entry(ies) in their MEL while airlines that don't have HUDs will not.

That is sort of what he said.:rolleyes:
I'm not sure what you think is incorrect. Your comments are consistent with mine.

What I was talking about was how the MMEL includes all possible configurations. For example, the MMEL for a B737 includes an entry(ies) for a HUD. Airlines that have HUDs installed in their fleet will include the HUD entry(ies) in their MEL while airlines that don't have HUDs will not.

Glenn knows everything. Don't argue with him.

I know he is only SIC in the 707 (joke rating really), but I also thought he was VFR only in another plane or two. Can't remember exactly.

The guy is a joke. I have a bit of inside knowledge on his abilities. I used to fly with one of his old crew members. I've heard the stories.

This exemplifies all the ugliness and arrogance that is dragging down our sport.

"The guy is a joke."

I look at the picture and think what a compliment it must be to professional pilots. Here is a man who makes more than probably anyone on this board. What does he aspire to ... to wear the uniform, to fly the plane, to be part of a world class airline.

Here is a man who spends a disproportionate amount of his income on aviation, who lives in a fly in community. Here is a man who made his millions utilizing his god given talent and then chooses aviation as his avocation.

I live in a community with many professional pilots. When I meet someone new and they find out I'm a pilot, they regularly ask me who I fly for. My general answer in the past was that I'm not a "real" pilot, just a PPSEL with 400 hours. I've stopped saying that because it feels like I'm looking for a pat on the back ... every single professional pilot I've met said "If you have a license, you are a real pilot".

Kritchlow, I want to be clear that I don't ever want to be associated with arrogant *$&$^#*@& like you who belittle and heckle accomplished professionals who choose aviation as their avocation. Travolta is a human and has all the failings that all humans have. That said, any aviator who isn't insecure in his/her own accomplishments would laud his love of aviation.

Jeff

Back