How do you pronounce "read receipt"?

How do you pronounce "read" in "read recipt"?

• Rhymes with "reed" (present tense)

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Rhymes with "red" (past tense)

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

Jim_R

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
It never even occurred to me that there could be ambiguity here. I've always pronounced it to rhyme with "reed", but apparently plenty of people think it rhymes with "red".

Edit: Whoops. It also never occurred to me that what I was talking about might not be clear. A "read receipt" is the feedback feature on email or texts that lets you know when your recipient has opened the message.

Last edited:
I'd like to buy a vowel please.....

Like the thing on a text message? I've always pronounced it as past tense. "Red"

images

Whoops. It also never occurred to me that what I was talking about might not be clear. A "read receipt" is the feedback feature on email or texts that lets you know when your recipient has opened the message.

Did you read the reciept? Reed
Have you read the reciept? Red

^^ That (except with receipt spelled correctly ;) )

A "read receipt" is the feedback feature on email or texts that lets you know when your recipient has opened the message.

I've never seen that before, but, given that the action of reading the receipt has been completed, it would be past tense... so, "red."

Did you get the read receipt when I opened your email?

I'm with reed.

I pronounce it 'fkng annoying'. If u send me email at work with rr I automatically hate u.

I sent a read receipt request once as a childish passive-aggressive f-you to someone who annoyed me. Made me feel good for a few fleeting seconds.

"The sender has requested a read receipt on this message"

Nope.

And a little searching just informed me you can default no and never show the request again. Nice!

Never use it verbally, but it is reed in my head.

My least favorite is the person who sends read receipts on EVERYTHING.

I had one gem in the late '90s (year, not age) that would do this and I would click the extra buttons to not send receipts. Two days later the IT guy comes over to "fix" my email! I'm like, "I didn't open a ticket" and he's like "Yeah, so-and-so opened it for you because she hasn't gotten any receipts from you this week"

And, in typical Ravioli style, I bent to her will and started processing the receipts. She did approve my invoices so she had all the power.

Then it got worse. She would send emails with receipts and I'd process them. If the email was more of an awareness item than question or request for action I would just let it sit there. She says, "Why don't you REPLY to my email?" I'm like, "You can see I read it" I was to process all receipts AND acknowledge with a reply!@#$%^

^^ That (except with receipt spelled correctly ;) )

Well, my grammar was correct, my spelling sucks!!

I've never seen that before, but, given that the action of reading the receipt has been completed, it would be past tense... so, "red."

I think the sender is asking for a "REED" receipt, and when it they get said notification it is a "RED" receipt.

What other receipts exist?

Well, there's tax receipts, deposit receipts, cash receipts, etc.

What do "tax", "deposit" and "cash" have in common? They're all nouns that have been turned into adjectives by being used in conjunction with another noun ("receipt"). You generally don't turn verbs into adjectives without first adding "-ing" to the end.

"reed" is a noun. "red" is a verb. Therefore "reed" wins.

lessee.....rhymes with "reed"?....like bead, deed, feed, heed, lead, need, weed?

or rhymes with "red'?....like bed, dead, fed, head, Jed, led, said, Ted, wed?

No....I probably wouldn't say any of those. :D

Reading (as in books) Railroad or Redding Railroad? Depends on where you're from. The latter is correct but the spelling is Reading.

Read (reed) or Read (red) receipt - don't really care how they pronounce it as anyone who requests one from me isn't getting one anyway. But in my mind, it's "red" as it's past tense. You want to know if the recipient read (in the past) your email. If it's present, it would be "reading receipt."

Read (reed) or Read (red) receipt - don't really care how they pronounce it as anyone who requests one from me isn't getting one anyway. But in my mind, it's "red" as it's past tense. You want to know if the recipient read (in the past) your email. If it's present, it would be "reading receipt."

I need a drink.

Back