High DA Airports in Cherokee 140

And I wonder if the Hoerner tips make a huge difference on a Hershey bar Cherokee.

They will not help the takeoff/climb performance. What they do is make the wing much less wishy-washy feeling at low, near stall airspeeds, and they give you a bit more top end cruise too. I've flown cherokees with both Hoerner tips, and factory original rounded tips, and the Hoerner tips definitely make the wing's handling feel more solid when slow, but don't really give you any additional low-airspeed climb performance

As nice as it would be to have a Mooney, Vans, etc...we just bought this plane (first airplane) and it is what we got. Take it or leave it. Not everyone is in a position to buy another aircraft at any given time.

I second the recommendation to do a trial climb to evaluate actual climb performance against book numbers. This will give you more confidence as you evaluate the takeoff performance tables. Incrementally work your way up with progressively higher DA takeoffs. This will not only vet the aircraft, but your own skills.

As nice as it would be to have a Mooney, Vans, etc...we just bought this plane (first airplane) and it is what we got. Take it or leave it. Not everyone is in a position to buy another aircraft at any given time.

I understand.
I had to fly my Cherokee for many years before I could afford to upgrade.
It taught me a lot about flying airplanes too. I put nearly 800 hours on it over 10 years.

I understand.
I had to fly my Cherokee for many years before I could afford to upgrade.
It taught me a lot about flying airplanes too. I put nearly 800 hours on it over 10 years.

The hope is it will be a decent time builder. It isn't that we couldn't afford a Mooney/Vans/etc...but my dad wants to make sure he will be flying regularly enough before we go out and spend 60-100k on an airplane. I would love an RV7 or RV9...but we will see where the next few years go.

I wish I had more power in the 140 as anyone else would, but it sure beats NOT having an airplane at all. I hated renting and nothing beats having an airplane sitting at the airport ready to go at any time.

I just noticed this thread. I've been to Payson six times since I've owned my Cherokee. (make good coherent announcement calls because everyone in the restaurant can hear you) The fuel there is pretty cheap compared to other parts of Arizona, just make sure you only fill up to the tabs in high density altitude and you'll be fine with two people. It can get windy up there as well so be on your toes with the cross winds. Payson and Flag are not a huge deal in a Cherokee, just watch the gross weight and keep it down.

I just noticed this thread. I've been to Payson six times since I've owned my Cherokee. (make good coherent announcement calls because everyone in the restaurant can hear you) The fuel there is pretty cheap compared to other parts of Arizona, just make sure you only fill up to the tabs in high density altitude and you'll be fine with two people. It can get windy up there as well so be on your toes with the cross winds. Payson and Flag are not a huge deal in a Cherokee, just watch the gross weight and keep it down.

I can't remember did you have a 140 or 160? Yea I have been to Payson 4 times in the 172...never an issue...been to Sedona twice and Prescott once. My radio work is flawless the people in the restaurant love me :D

I actually don't recall hearing the radio calls in the restaurant and I have eaten there many times - maybe I didn't notice it?

If you have a 140 that is very comforting to hear that you have been to both places.

Yes, I have a 1969 Cherokee 140. 150hp

That is great to know. I keep thinking about going to Payson one of these mornings, but I have been hesitant. How was Flagstaff and when did you go?

From this thread I was starting to wonder if I could only fly to airports at -5000 ft DA (that is a joke).

That is great to know. I keep thinking about going to Payson one of these mornings, but I have been hesitant. How was Flagstaff and when did you go?

From this thread I was starting to wonder if I could only fly to airports at -5000 ft DA (that is a joke).
Don't listen to them man. Anything higher than -2000 DA and you're a dead man. Don't chance it!!

Back