Which way do you turn for your run-up?

Which airplane best represents where you do your run-up?

• Red airplane

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Blue airplane

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 22.1%

• Total voters
wait. Honey Badgers can fly now? eff me. I'm done. no more flying for me.

pus blue-ish line and turn 90* or so at end of run up area so I can see runway, taxiway, final. unless the wind is >12-15 knots, then I tun more into it

Blue, had to change my answer from 'other' after I read the part about not considering the final orientation. I'd stop on the blue line at about 110 as close to the grass as possible. I've never seen anyone do the red one yet.

I always do my runup on the ramp away from hangers, FBO office, etc. MY runups are done with the plane facing into the reported wind direction.

Can someone show me the reg or something the AIM if you have an aircraft weighing 12,500 lbs with a 160hp engine between 1200 and 1600 zulu what direction you need to turn for the run-up?

Thanks - John777

Can someone show me the reg or something the AIM if you have an aircraft weighing 12,500 lbs with a 160hp engine between 1200 and 1600 zulu what direction you need to turn for the run-up?

Thanks - John777

LOL!:goofy::goofy:

Depends who else is already in the run-up area and how they're oriented.

When I'm the only one around I've done it both ways depending on my mood. I tend to follow what I've seen other pilots doing at a particular field, but not always. I don't always swing the nose into wind either if wind is insignificant but I am considerate of my prop blast. Just get the run-up done quickly with minimal futzing.

engine cooling. that's what I was taught.
I seriously doubt there's enough air flow either way to amount to a difference. No way a few mph could produce enough cowling pressure to be effective vs in flight pressures.

I have never thought about it other than the fact that I try to avoid blasting other airplanes or getting in their way. In an empty runup area, probably blue, but I don't think it matters at all.

Why would you runup into the wind?
I like to run up into the wind when it's windy or gusty so the controls arent flapping around as much.
I was flying Young Eagles a couple weeks ago with 15G25. when aimed into the wind the tail wasn't pulsing or flapping as much as when off the wind or tail into the wind.

To the hold short line.
But if I have to pick from the 2. Blue... red has inherent problems.

I seriously doubt there's enough air flow either way to amount to a difference. No way a few mph could produce enough cowling pressure to be effective vs in flight pressures.

It's factors a bit in more extreme conditions

But also its better for the flight controls,

Better for not getting exhaust to swirl back into the plane

RPM and engine sounds are more familiar

Cooling

It's the natural way air should flow over the plane.

Even in turbines starts and shutdowns are into any obvious wind whenever possible.

It's factors a bit in more extreme conditions

But also its better for the flight controls,

Better for not getting exhaust to swirl back into the plane

RPM and engine sounds are more familiar

Cooling

Even in turbines starts and shutdowns are into any obvious wind whenever possible.
If it makes you feel better...we'll ok. I never noticed a difference on my engine monitor. :D

run-up-area2-png.48906

Attachments

• Run up area2.png
    Run up area2.png
    960.8 KB · Views: 211
Blue allows you to stack multiple planes without propwashing the hell out of the others already in runup.

Yes indeed, you won't start a Conquest II with much of a tailwind! I tried once and only once!! :eek: Nothing like having to tell your wife's grandmother that we have to reposition the plane to get it started!! It was her first flight I think! :eek:

Both of those are too much work, and will create an ambiguous situation for aircraft coming up behind. First aircraft in line position 45 degree to hold short as far down wind and as close to th hold short (or ils hold short) as comfortable. Subsequent aircraft hold short in echelon to preceding. This keeps you from ending up facing an aircraft head on, and keep him from getting between you and the runway.

Yes indeed, you won't start a Conquest II with much of a tailwind! I tried once and only once!! :eek: Nothing like having to tell your wife's grandmother that we have to reposition the plane to get it started!! It was her first flight I think! :eek:
We have a 10 knot maximum tailwind component limitation for start in the C-680. And it's not as if it's small enough to move around by hand.

I'd sort of follow the blue line except I'd just pull to the end of the runup area and swing around facing the runway, not turn parallel to it unless there was an unusually strong wind. The idea is to pull forward so someone behind me has the option of pulling into the runup area behind me or simply passing by if they don't need to do a runup. I was taught the face the wind thing but I was also taught that unless it was particularly windy it was probably wiser to just keep out of other aircraft's way.

I think that many have not taken the OP's request to heart. :fingerwag:

Please don't get wrapped up in the details of how far you pull up or exact headings and such.

I have never thought about it other than the fact that I try to avoid blasting other airplanes or getting in their way. In an empty runup area, probably blue, but I don't think it matters at all.
Pretty much.

I honestly do both probably 50/50. Mostly depends on where the wind is, how big the run up area is and if there is anyone else in the area.

Bottom line is unless I'm in a nosewheel, my primary concern is to find a spot that is into the wind and not blasting anyone else.

What's a runup...???

It's a job in Da hood.

You see a nice car, "run up", take their ****(or the whole car) and leave with it whilst affirming to the coworker "Dats what I though, *****. Say somethin' "

I point the nose as much into the wind as I can to improve engine cooling.

Blue allows you to stack multiple planes without propwashing the hell out of the others already in runup.

Red allows you to do that as well as long as you don't stop where the plane is depicted on the picture. Just pull further "south" and all of the succeeding aircraft with stack up behind you.

Yikes. I just pull up to the hold short line and do it there at a busy airport :)

Why would you runup into the wind?
Aircooled engine running at run-up power while stationary on the ground, should use any winds to help keep the engine as cool as possible.

None of the above. I just follow center line towards the hold short line. Halfway through the right turn I stop which puts my tail 45° to the taxiway and do my run up. Allows me to see traffic, keeps me on center line, and keeps propeller blast from hitting anything behind me.
This one. Then you can see any traffic inbound, not all planes are on a radio and not all radios are on with their operators or frequency.

Back