Wow, that's my freakin' airplane!

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
So I'm at this fly-in down in Mississippi on Saturday and I spot a pretty little straight tail 172 across the field that looks a bit like my old one. So, I stroll over for a closer look. As we get a bit closer I mention "it even has 170 main gear pants like mine did." And as we get closer yet I'm straining to read the 2" tail numbers to see how far from mine it came off the line.

N7933B

Holy sheet! That's my old airplane! For the most part it looks just as nice as it used to...maybe better...the new owner, Charles Hudson from Sumrall, MS, is an A&P and has repainted the top 1/2 of the plane. Not sure if I like it better or not, but I like it! He's also fixed a variety of things here and there.

What an amazing surprise.

Charles (left) and I talking airplanes:
IMG_20161029_110159114_HDR.jpg

It's a pretty old bird:
IMG_20161029_110032053.jpg

The paint when I had it:
N7933B08.jpg

Should've never sold it!

Last edited:
I liked the paint when you owned it Tim. I agree that the new guy has done well with it. Much better than seeing your old bird totally trashed out!

very nice surprise and a very nice plane. i have never had this happen .closest i came was a old c310 behind me on victor 1 going north .it had a tail number you could not forget .when he checked in i was elated .all i got to say on freq was n.... how is the old girl behaving.comeback was" great" and my correct name .

That is really neat Tim. Nice looking plane too. I bet Charles enjoyed meeting you and learning about your old plane as much as you enjoyed getting to see her again.

My airplane was in the June 2016 edition of the EAA Sport Aviation magazine. The guy that owned the airplane from 79 thru 97 recognised the airplane and contacted me. It has been very neat linking up with him and learning some of the history of my plane and getting pictures of what it originally looked like. It started out with the red/white Piper scheme and he repainted it blue/white, then I painted it burgundy/white as seen in my pic on the left.

It's fun to reconnect with an airplane like that.

The Grumman Cheetah I sold thirteen years ago is based in San Diego now. I had a business trip there in late July and had dinner with the current owner (there were a couple of other owners after I sold it and before he bought it). He even let me fly it, brave soul. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 46
It's always fun to come across a plane you know.

Some years back I was on a charter. While waiting, I saw a familiar PA-28. Turned out that it was the Archer I'd done my instrument rating in and had put about 130 hours on. The club later sold it, and I chatted with the new owner for a while. He'd made some nice improvements. It was fun. Looks like he still owns the plane and, oddly enough, has moved not too far from where we lived in Ohio.

It's always nice when you see an airplane you owned,being well taken care of. Nice paint .

I like the new paint as well. The old scheme had too many colors going on, simple works better. Either way, it's a great story that you're able to recognize the aircraft even with a different shade of lipstick on her.

Back