Do planes have one wing or two?

Some aircraft might have what can possibly be considered a single wing structurally but for all intents and purposes and also by way of convention, they have two wings. Do you refer to the left wing and the right wing when talking about them or do you say the left portion and right portion of the wing.
Are they separate zones?

They have a "Set of Wings." o_O Unless it is a powered parachute or helicopter.

Even a B-2 bomber?

B-2_Spirit_original.jpg

Interesting question, because at least for me, even the convention is inconsistent:

"Well crap, the wings have frost all over them - we'll have to get sprayed on the way out."

"Hey man, were you planning on cleaning up the wing, or did you just want to leave all that s*** hanging out all the way to Austin?"*

*this kind of comment is a good indicator that the two pilots are buddies :)

That is one pretty picture. It is "Fixed Wing" so all I need now is a High Performance and Complex endorsement. :)

Air Force doesn't need no stinkin' HP & Complex endorsement! :rockon:

When I arrive at the airport, I do a very thorough but quick pre-flight: "one propeller, two wings, three tires, let's go flyin'!"
So are you telling me that I have been pre-flighting wrong my whole life and I could have been killed? YIKES!
I will need to re-print my checklist to read "one wing". But in my head, I will still be missing one. I hope it don't fly crooked.

Back