Deciding between QT Halo and Clarity Aloft Link

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I am having a tough time deciding between the QT Halo's and the Clarity Aloft Link headset. I really like that the CA's have Bluetooth, while the Halo's don't. However, I have read 3 or 4 threads on here and most people seem to go with the Halo's. Something is telling me to shell up the extra cash for the CA Link headset, but I figured I would see what you guys have to say before I buy anything.

Halo's are out of stock and on back order (at least 1 week).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Love my Clarity headset.

Attachments

• UpsideDown.jpg
    UpsideDown.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 61
Don't buy the Link version.

The main difference between the Halo and CA is the location of the speaker. For Halo it's back in the band and the tubes carry the sound, while the CA speakers are actually in the ear.

You can buy the Link separately from the CA for ZERO extra dollars. There's extra length of cord involved, BUT one item doesn't render the other useless if you buy separate.

Halos are also a little harder to come by because it's such a small company they have backlog. CA's you can get quickly.

Yes, I fly with CA Classics. Can't have mine... either of them.

Don't buy the Link version.

The main difference between the Halo and CA is the location of the speaker. For Halo it's back in the band and the tubes carry the sound, while the CA speakers are actually in the ear.

You can buy the Link separately from the CA for ZERO extra dollars. There's extra length of cord involved, BUT one item doesn't render the other useless if you buy separate.

Halos are also a little harder to come by because it's such a small company they have backlog. CA's you can get quickly.

Yes, I fly with CA Classics. Can't have mine... either of them.

Interesting I didn't know you could buy the link part? I guess you just contact them directly? Don't see in the accessories area. I like how the link will mute music when talking to ATC, just like my Bose headset does.

Interesting...welllllll looks like were leaning towards the CA's.

I can pick it up directly from mypilotstore today here in town. Question...is there any disadvantage from buying from another company versus buying directly from Clarity?

I have a set of Halo's, as well as sets of Lightspeed Zulu PFX and Tango's. My go to are usually the PFX, but if it's a bright sunny day and I want to keep my hat on I'll opt for the Halo's. My wife uses the Tango's because she HATES cords! They work well too. Both the PFX and Tango's have bluetooth which I never use, but works well. The Halo's have a cabled input for music, which works fine too.

I love the Halo's but they are not as quiet as the PFX or Tango's if that's important to you. But on the other hand if you like to wear a cap you'll get annoying sound with ANC headsets that you don't get with the in the ear sets.

I just keep reading really really good things about both the QT Halos and the CA headsets. I have Bose A20s with Bluetooth as well. I figure I can make those my passenger headphones and then wear the CA's as my personal headset. Assuming I like them. If I don't I will just return the CA's keep the Bose A20s as my person and buy a cheaper ANR headset.

Did we ask what you fly? Could factor in.

My CA's are proven in RV's, Cherokees, Cardinal, C310. Cannot be happier with them. <- he restated the obvious right there

I just purchased a bluetooth link with 3.5mm male end from EvilBay. That plugs into my Clarity Aloft's port just fine and I can then stream music or podcasts. Or you can go with the corded solution. A 3.5mm male-to-male cord is about $6 on Amazon.

I personally love my QT Halos.

Did we ask what you fly? Could factor in.

My CA's are proven in RV's, Cherokees, Cardinal, C310. Cannot be happier with them. <- he restated the obvious right there

Cherokee...hopefully it will be a Vans RV9, RV7, or a Mooney in the next few years ;)

I have QT Halos for myself and my wife. I got a Bose A20 (non bluetooth) with the plane when I bought it. I still fly with the Halos and use the Bose for passengers. The Bose is a little quieter, but not by much. I tried the Clarity Aloft set at Oshkosh a coupe of years ago. I like the Halos better because they're a little more flexible -- the band on the CA seems to be made from pretty stiff stainless and put some pressure on my huge misshapen melon of a head. Normal humans may not have that problem. I like having the drivers on the band -- no wires to break. And of course the price difference was a factor.

If you need a TSOd set, doesn't sound like you do, than the CA is the only choice. Otherwise, I like the design of the Halo better. Excellent audio quality and noise reduction. I haven't used the CA but I'm sure that it is very similar in comfort, audio quality, and noise reduction.

Interesting that so many people seem to actually prefer the Halos...problem is I'd have to get myself on the waiting list...don't know how long it may be to get a pair. Still think I may try the CA's

Halos are CHEAPER. My wife loves her CA, but I am unimpressed by their customer service when hers needed service. Whereas most other headset manufacturers are exemplary, CA is SLOW and EXPENSIVE.

Well shoot...idk now you guys are talking me into the Halos...although I'm not real fond of using aux cord and no auto mute feature...sure I could add Bluetooth but at that point I might as well buy CA

Really can't wait a long time for Halos either as I need a headset ASAP for my girlfriend/passengers

I paid full $50 for my Clarity Aloft. It is a used ASA headset that is nicely loud and clear (thus allowing me the clarity of sound while I am aloft :D ). And I have a 3.5mm jack in my panel for music.
Frankly, I'd rather blow $2k on AvGas or hookers. :D

FYI - The CA ear bud wire is very small and can break. I have 3 sets of CA for 4 years now and have had to send all three back to get them repaired when the wire brakes.

Well shoot...idk now you guys are talking me into the Halos...although I'm not real fond of using aux cord and no auto mute feature...sure I could add Bluetooth but at that point I might as well buy CA

Really can't wait a long time for Halos either as I need a headset ASAP for my girlfriend/passengers
Try emailing or calling the guy from his web site contact info. Don't wait for the web site to say their available, I've never even seen that.

I did something dumb with my halo that a wired ear bud probably wouldn't have survived, did it on checkride day no less. Hung it on the yoke when I did my walk around it fell to the floor, later when I went to grab it, found it pinned under the seat rail. I just new it would be severed, but no, the rubber tubing feeding the ear plug was fine and I went on my way.

Wow...this thread has been a bit of a surprise...I must have seen a dozen threads praising the Clarity Aloft headsets...not the feedback I'm getting here at all.

Wife and I both use CA for a few years now and love them. I had mine first and the mic boom would droop. I sent them in and they fixed them for free. I've just started using a different ear device than the foam tips and like them better.

Halos are CHEAPER.
This is why you find more folks raving about Halos than CA.

FWIW, I spent the money for CAs over Halos based on some comments that CAs were a built a bit beefier. I wanted something sturdy since my primary use was going to be in an open cockpit biplane. I'm sure Halos are fine for most GA uses.

I love my CAs. I wear them in most aircraft I fly now whether flat engines, radials or jets. They are great in the open cockpit environment of the biplane and are very nice in the Beech 18 too. I've never had a problem with wires breaking like Scott has above and since I wrap a leather flying helmet over the ears, my wires get far more abuse than a typical enclosed cockpit user.

I have nothing personally against Halos, but if you want to buy a in-ear headset and have it immediately, I think you'll be happy with CAs. I certainly am.

FYI - The CA ear bud wire is very small and can break. I have 3 sets of CA for 4 years now and have had to send all three back to get them repaired when the wire brakes.
Serious question: what are you doing to your CAs to make the wire break???

Don't know but my wife's broke and she's not abusing it. It cost me a couple hundred $ and a few weeks to get them fixed. I'm NOT AT ALL impressed with CA's customer support.

Don't know but my wife's broke and she's not abusing it.
Maybe they have had some quality control issues in production.

All I know is that mine get abused by the simple nature of how I'm using them, and I've never had an issue.

Fearless Tower - thanks for the honest feedback. At this point I am going to pick up the CA's after work today. If I don't like them I can always return them. All I know is I have read 8-10 different threads (some on here, Vans Airforce, etc) and they have all be raving reviews for the CA's (and the Halos as well). And this is also the first I have heard of CA's customer service being bad. Then again...I do NOT abuse my equipment and I baby the heck out of all my "accessories" that go in my airplane (Bose A20s, iPad, etc).

No bluetooth is pretty much a killer for me...even if that is a silly excuse. I know you can add bluetooth to the Halos, but at this point I just want to purchase something and go.

Nothing just normal wear. No pulling on the wire. I fly about 300 hours a year and they never leave the plane.

Nothing just normal wear. No pulling on the wire. I fly about 300 hours a year and they never leave the plane.
That is odd. I put over 200 hours on mine last year. They get yanked in and out of 3 different airplanes, plus the effect of smashing the wires down against my head under the leather helmet not to mention getting stuffed in a suitcase when traveling.

Well, I don't abuse my stuff either but not being able to get it fixed for a reasonable amount of money in a reasonable time frame pretty much makes it a nonstarter. DC fixes things quickly and for free (yet I never managed to break anything of there's even with abuse). I did something dunderhead with my lightspeed and they just handed me the part to fix it. I had a part fail on a lightspeed and they just handed me that part to fix it (it turns out on closer examination I could just fix the existing part, the on-off switch had gotten seperated from the underlying circuit board (Total mechanical failure, I fixed it and it has worked flawlessly since).

At least with headsets, you can revert to a spare (have them in the back seat anyhow). Not like Garmin leaving me AOG when they can't repair one of their POS audio panels timely.,

Well, I don't abuse my stuff either but not being able to get it fixed for a reasonable amount of money in a reasonable time frame pretty much makes it a nonstarter. DC fixes things quickly and for free (yet I never managed to break anything of there's even with abuse). I did something dunderhead with my lightspeed and they just handed me the part to fix it. I had a part fail on a lightspeed and they just handed me that part to fix it (it turns out on closer examination I could just fix the existing part, the on-off switch had gotten seperated from the underlying circuit board (Total mechanical failure, I fixed it and it has worked flawlessly since).

At least with headsets, you can revert to a spare (have them in the back seat anyhow). Not like Garmin leaving me AOG when they can't repair one of their POS audio panels timely.,

Yea I didn't mean to infer that you did - that is a bummer. I guess I will see how it goes for me...

I have read more and more about the QT Halos and the Clarity headsets...honestly it seems like most people who have tried both prefer the QT's. At less than half the cost of the Clarity Links I may just go that route. No bluetooth, but it sounds like the AUX port works well. A lot of complaints that the Clarity's aren't as comfortable (although I have a small head so this shouldn't be as big of an issue for me).

Confirmed with the owner that wait time is 2-3 weeks before I could even place an order for the QT Halo's :(

I use the Halo.

Did some shopping around a few months ago and decided to try the in ear type sets. With that decided, I couldn't find any good reason to pay nearly double for Clarity Aloft. Bluetooth doesn't mean much to me, YMMV on that. Most importantly, I'm a tightwad, so Halo it was.

Love 'em!

I have a set of the Halos.

They're fantastic.

The yellow foam tips offer pretty good noise attenuation and I prefer having the sound coming down the tube rather than in a speaker in the ear.

They're what... 2/3 the cost of the CA? And CA certainly isn't worth 33% more from what I read.

Another very happy Halo user.

I saw a couple of comments above claiming that they felt whatever ANR over ear was quieter. I have to disagree with this, while you dont get the "sterile" feel, any in-ear headset is attenuating significantly more energy from reaching your ears.

I tried a set of CA's that my son-in-law had and was wanting to sell. One side didn't work. He sent it off and got it repaired and has since sold them. He just wasn't found of the in ear style and I wasn't buying something that had been used a dozen times and already broken even if repaired.

I bought the Halo for my wife. She loves them. I may or may not buy me a set, they are much cooler and more comfortable for sure. I won't buy the CA's, I am too tight and won't pay the difference and blue tooth is not something that I care about. Besides, I like how the Halo has the speaker not in the ear piece. The idea just seems like it's less likely to have problems. You mess up the tube, just put another one on. Seems simple enough.

I have read more and more about the QT Halos and the Clarity headsets...honestly it seems like most people who have tried both prefer the QT's. At less than half the cost of the Clarity Links I may just go that route. No bluetooth, but it sounds like the AUX port works well. A lot of complaints that the Clarity's aren't as comfortable (although I have a small head so this shouldn't be as big of an issue for me).

Confirmed with the owner that wait time is 2-3 weeks before I could even place an order for the QT Halo's :(

I went through the same back-and-forth regarding the CAs and QTs, thinking that the bluetooth was a huge selling point for the CAs. Until I realized that the Pilot BluLink used in the CAs to provide bluetooth connectivity can be purchased and added to ANY headset (http://www.pilot-usa.com/blulink.html). That let me go with the QTs and still have bluetooth... and I've been very happy with my decision (though I never tried the CAs once I realized this was possible).

I picked up the BluLink used from a POA member, but even full price and new the QT + BluLink combo is still $180 less than the CA Link. Now if Phil (at QT) could just figure out a way to keep headsets in stock...

Don't know but my wife's broke and she's not abusing it. It cost me a couple hundred $ and a few weeks to get them fixed. I'm NOT AT ALL impressed with CA's customer support.

I forgot they were on once and accidentally tried to climb out of the plane. The results were not pretty, but CA fixed them (for a fee). They also sent me a nice case for free, which I was appreciative of. Didn't have any problems with their support.

I have owned several headsets and switched to the Clarity Aloft with the BluLink about three years ago. I wasn't a fan of the in-ear headsets, so I wasn't sure how I would like them.

I can't say enough good stuff about them. The sound is excellent and I think it does a great job keeping external noise suppressed. But the reason I really love it is that it is incredibly light and comfortable. In the past, even with my Bose headsets, after a couple of hours of flying, I felt fatigued and often had a headache. With the CAs, I don't have that problem, even after 8 hours of flying. I also really like the BluLink because when I am flying solo, I like to listen to music and podcasts. The ability to do that without extra cables is great.

The other plane I fly has a pair of Bose A20s and it's easier to use those than to carry my CAs around, but I really dislike it. It isn't close to the comfort that I have with the Clarity Alofts.

I did have an issue with the BluLink in the past and I found customer service to be just fine. They had me send in the headset and sent me another pair immediately. The turn around time was reasonable and the problem was fixed. I don't believe that they charged me. Every time I send in my Bose headsets for any kind of service, I can expect a fairly large bill.

To be a fair, I have never used the Halos and can't speak to them, but I can say that I am a happy customer of Clarity Aloft and would recommend them.

Abram Finkelstein,
N48KY

Back