Best "Budget" ANR Headset for Passenger

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I love my Bose A20s, but that is a lot of a cash to spend for your passenger haha. Lightspeeds are still a bit pricey as well. I am thinking something under $700 would be okay. I know Faro has an ANR headset for $389 which seems like a great deal, but not sure how good it is. I already have an extra set of David Clarks, but I would prefer to have my passengers wear something with ANR - make them enjoy the experience more ;p

In ear headsets are nice, but not sure I would want to be sharing in ear pieces with people like that.

Preferably something that will fit a woman's head (for my girlfriend). I hear the Faro's are a bit big.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I've got the Faro ANR headset, and I love it! The leather ear cushions are comfy, as is the top pad. The only down side is that you need to have to boom mic very close to your mouth for it to pick up...not a problem once you're used to it. Two AA batteries last about 20 hours. You should be able to find them for $350.

The DC conversion is cool, I've been meaning to do that to my backup/pax Oregon aeroed DC 56s.

I'd also get on Craig's list for a bose or lightspeed, lots of rich, or credit card equipped flight school washouts selling their gear for lots less than retail.

Pigpenracing (member here) also has some good stuff for sale occasionally.

I've got the Faro ANR headset, and I love it! The leather ear cushions are comfy, as is the top pad. The only down side is that you need to have to boom mic very close to your mouth for it to pick up...not a problem once you're used to it. Two AA batteries last about 20 hours. You should be able to find them for $350.

I though the Faro ANR G2 had plastic ear cups?? They sure do have good reviews. Just worried they won't fit my girlfriend as she has a small head.

The DC conversion is cool, I've been meaning to do that to my backup/pax Oregon aeroed DC 56s.

I'd also get on Craig's list for a bose or lightspeed, lots of rich, or credit card equipped flight school washouts selling their gear for lots less than retail.

Pigpenracing (member here) also has some good stuff for sale occasionally.

Yea I will check it out. Thanks.

I picked up both my Lightspeed Zulus (original) second hand for about 400-450 (one was from a member here). Both had recently been looked at/fixed by Lightspeed and have been great.

I picked up both my Lightspeed Zulus (original) second hand for about 400-450 (one was from a member here). Both had recently been looked at/fixed by Lightspeed and have been great.

And even if they need new muffs and a little work, pretty much all the big names will do a little overhaul for you for next to nothing.

I've bought a couple of used Bose X off here for a reasonable price, $4-500 at the time. I put new ear seals and mic muffs on them and they've been great. I keep two in each airplane, plus I bought a used A-20 as well for myself, I like it!

I found a set of Rugged Air RA950 on Amazon for 250 with free shipping. I had to wait a couple of weeks to get them. They aren't as good as Bose but they are perfectly serviceable. I'm using them as my primary headset.

Our faros don't fit my wife's small head. The tops of the earcups rest on her ears; quite uncomfortable. Other than that they're great.

Shopping for a deal on a Bose x (which she loves).

I though the Faro ANR G2 had plastic ear cups?? They sure do have good reviews. Just worried they won't fit my girlfriend as she has a small head.

Question for OP... You don't want people using the same in-ear plug, but those nasty mic muffs are fine for everyone? Ick.

Question for OP... You don't want people using the same in-ear plug, but those nasty mic muffs are fine for everyone? Ick.

I think most would rather share a pair of muffs than in ear plugs but maybe I am wrong.

I said mic muff. The nasty thing you breathe and spit on for hours and then hand off to someone else and say, 'try these'

I said mic muff. The nasty thing you breathe and spit on for hours and then hand off to someone else and say, 'try these'

Ahh ok...thanks for the suggestion?

My point is that in-ear headsets can be shared hygienically. And that many over the ear headsets are shared non-hygienically.

My point is that in-ear headsets can be shared hygienically. And that many over the ear headsets are shared non-hygienically.

Any recommendations on in ear ANR headsets?

Now you've done it... Clarity Aloft or QT Halo of course :)

Heck I woulnd't mind getting the Clarity Alofts for myself and then letting someone use my A20s

that pigpen guy has a bunch of stuff.. For ANR and in ear this is what I have now.
David Clark H10-13S with Headsets inc kit $325
Lightspeed Zulu PFX's $825 each
Clarity Aloft link Bluetooth (was display model never in a plane) $700
New Lightspeed Mach 1's in ear (discontinued model) $400 each
Also have several styles of passive David Clarks H10-13.4, $200 H10-60 used $200 new $245, H10-13S $200
the headsets inc stuff is really good. It keeps up when the Bose plays out in really loud applications.

It's worth noting that a few of the headsets mentioned in this thread are similar and share a common ANR box; the OEM is Pilot Communications USA. Compared to my DC H10-13X, I'd say they deliver about 80% of the value at about half the price, which is pretty good for a pax headset.

Headsets, Inc in TX is hard to beat! We just had 2 David Clark 10-13 converted to ANR and they are very nice. The ANR works much better than expected. We have LS Zulus and they work well too but they start falling apart with time. Our Lightspeeds have been back to the factory to fix cables, plastic parts, etc. A real pain for what they cost.

Call Richard Trotter, the owner at Headsets, Inc. Nice guy and will patiently answer all your questions.

I'm looking into a winter project of upgrading a set of DCs into ANRs.

http://www.headsetsinc.com/ANR_kits.html

I have the FlightCom Denali ANR headsets. They are a lot of bang-for-the-buck. I've been using mine for five years now with no problems.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/headsets_anr_flight/denalid50anr.php

That's the headset I used for the last couple years until making my own in-ear setup. I loved them and have since moved them to the passenger seat, and still use them when I jump in other airplanes. I also picked up a set of the non ANR version which also serve passenger duty. They are really lightweight and so far no complaints about comfort from anyone.

BTW marv golden had the best price on them when I bought mine. http://www.marvgolden.com/flightcom-denali-d50anr-headset.html

Wow thanks a lot for all the help so far guys. I am tempted to buy the Clarity Links for myself and then just let people use my A20s...but we will see.

Headsets, Inc in TX is hard to beat! We just had 2 David Clark 10-13 converted to ANR and they are very nice. The ANR works much better than expected. We have LS Zulus and they work well too but they start falling apart with time. Our Lightspeeds have been back to the factory to fix cables, plastic parts, etc. A real pain for what they cost.

Call Richard Trotter, the owner at Headsets, Inc. Nice guy and will patiently answer all your questions.

I converted my AV-COMM AC-200 set using the Headset's Inc. kit. Works great and took me about 3 hours total. DC might be easier because of how they're built.

John

Time to swipe the ole credit card for the Clarity Link headset!! Just kidding...its a nice thought though.

Had cheap headsets for pax then got stuck wearing a set when going to pick up my plane. Got home and upgraded to Bose X from eBay....both purchased for under $500 each.

I use the LS Zulu and my Bride a new Bose X.

Hi.
Would you elaborate?
Thank you.

The full explanation is a little long and I don't wanna totally derail the thread, but the short version is that I tore apart a cheapo spare headset I had to steal the wiring bits, used some stainless welding rod to make a headband, some kids earbuds that had the right impedance to work with the audio panel and some radians DIY molded earplugs and combined it all into a very comfy, quiet and inexpensive in-ear headset. I considered clarity aloft and halos but since I have never been able to make foam ear plugs work and they both use very similar ear pieces I wasn't willing to spend that kind of money on something I didn't think would work for me. Here's a pic one of my pax took last weekend.

IMG_4100.jpg

Back