Training in a High Elevation Field

rene86mx

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rene86mx
So, I'm almost decided on beginning training my only concern is elevation of the field
Option 1: 8466 ft
Option 2: 8120 ft

What are your opinions in training in a field with that elevation?
The school has many C172s

People do it all the time. Biggest factor is finding a good CFI and flight school that you feel comfortable with. After that, everything else will fall into place.

Edit: what other choices do you have? If you live in those parts of the country then that's your only option.

Last edited:
Folks train at Leadville using 160 hp 172s.

Just plan on flying early in the day and find a skinny instructor.

You'll probably end up being a better pilot than me. After completing my mountain checkout, I realized how good mountain or bush pilots or whatever you want t call them, are. And you'll get great views!

I think pilots who get their certs at those altitudes should require a "low altitude checkout". Bit like what high performance checkout is for us :)

So, I'm almost decided on beginning training my only concern is elevation of the field
Option 1: 8466 ft
Option 2: 8120 ft

What are your opinions in training in a field with that elevation?
The school has many C172s

Start off flying early in the morning.

Go for it! You will get a bit of a shock first time you take off from a flatland airport!
There is no difference between the two airport elevations you posted, choose from other criteria.

I think pilots who get their certs at those altitudes should require a "low altitude checkout". Bit like what high performance checkout is for us :)

You know, the first trips I made to lower airports the landing groundspeed really weirded me out. Looked waaaaaay too slow.

That and actually using full mixture rich for takeoff. ;)

Later when I got the 182 with the STOL kit I found that it's really strange be down and stopped before there even are any taxiway exits.

I like runways where they've got one 400' down. "Yep, we can make Alpha 4 for ya and get out of the way of that jet on 3 mile final, no problem!"

I wouldn't know what to do with a high speed taxiway exit if I ever made it to one. ;)

No joke. At high altitude areas you get used to doing steep turns at full power. Once during a vacation checkout in the lowlands, I forgot where I was quickly on a path to exceed Va.

I wouldn't know what to do with a high speed taxiway exit if I ever made it to one. ;)

My first trip into C, tower said "keep your speed up, there's an MD80 behind you." After my normal landing, flaps up, advance throttle and speed for the high speed exit 3000' from the beginning. I was based on a 3000' field, and never reached the end there. It was weird adding throttle after touchdown . . .

I learned at BJC in a 152. 200 feet at 8000+ isn't going to mean much. The local weather conditions (winds, etc..) will wipe out that small of a density altitude change.

If 172 POH takeoff table only goes to pressure altitude of 8000, what do you guys use in that case? Interpolation?

Hot or windy days in summer might be problematic, but it's possible and has been done.

W&B will always be an issue. You'll need to be very aware of winds, but that will happen quickly by necessity.
No joke. At high altitude areas you get used to doing steep turns at full power. Once during a vacation checkout in the lowlands, I forgot where I was quickly on a path to exceed Va.
whats wrong with steep turns above Va? Even at 60 deg, you're at half the rated acceleration and nowhere near full deflection on any surface. Now, I wouldn't do a canyon turn like that, since you push it to the stall warning, but you should have no problem.

I'd see issues related to time-limited full power. Like a 182 takes off at full, but has to climb at 23 inches and 16 GPH.

Thank you all. This is really helpful. That was my only concern

Back