iPhone 7 worth the upgrade?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
My iPhone 6 has recently been eligible for upgrade. Looking at the 7 and 7 Plus, I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade but it appears many do as it's nearly impossible to find a 7 Plus in the stores. Been reading a few things online about the possibility for a big release in 2017 since it's the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone. So what do you iPhone users think, upgrade or wait?

Got a 6S, not upgrading.

6+ and not upgrading.

Wife just got a 7 yesterday, upgrading from my old 5s. I think she'll appreciate the extra screen size and sharpness, extra speed and access to more features, such as ApplePay.

I'll wait until the next cycle when my 6+ is paid for and off contract.

Happy with my 5s. Does everything I need - phone service, messaging when needed, music while commuting on the bus. If I'm surfing the web, I want a big monitor. If I want to listen to music, I want my studio-quality headset.

I have mine on order. Switching my 6+ to 7+. I get a faster processer and double the memory for the same cost on my plan.

Only reason I did it is because I'm around water a lot. Flying amphibians, boating, being at the beach or pool, etc, etc. No more leaving the phone at home or putting it in a watertight case. Effortless.

Happy with my 5s. Does everything I need - phone service, messaging when needed, music while commuting on the bus. If I'm surfing the web, I want a big monitor.

Of course.

But I often find myself surfing the web in the car while waiting for Karen to shop. And the bigger screen is also handy when using it as a navigator, either in the car or in the plane as an iPad backup.

But the "+" models do bump up against being too big. But I can live with that.

I'm thinking of updating my iPhone 4 to a 6 as the prices on those have dropped some with the release of the 7.

I went from the 6 to the 7 and hardly notice the difference. The only reason I got it was because of a Verizon promotion and I basically got it for free.

I have a 6s and don't plan to upgrade. Just not enough there to justify it for me.

I went from the 6 to the 7 and hardly notice the difference. The only reason I got it was because of a Verizon promotion and I basically got it for free.
That's what I was thinking. I've never been the kind that has to get the latest and the greatest but I'm on a plan that allows for an upgrade at almost no cost. I've had the 6 since it came out, but I'll likely stick with what I have unless I happen to find a 7+ in the stores.

I have mine on order. Switching my 6+ to 7+. I get a faster processer and double the memory for the same cost on my plan.
Be sure to tell us what you think of it once you get it!

That's what I was thinking. I've never been the kind that has to get the latest and the greatest but I'm on a plan that allows for an upgrade at almost no cost. I've had the 6 since it came out, but I'll likely stick with what I have unless I happen to find a 7+ in the stores.
If you can get it for a low cost, go for it. If I had to pay several hundred dollars for mine I'd just stick with my 6.

5se and happy. Only reason I change is a failure of a current one. I had a 5s and went swimming with it, hence the 5se.

Cheers

I went from a 6+ to a 7+ (skipped the "S" versions). It's incrementally better, a little faster, much better camera. My contract was up and I got a good subsidy, not sure if I would have if I was paying retail.

I went from a 6+ to a 7+ (skipped the "S" versions). It's incrementally better, a little faster, much better camera. My contract was up and I got a good subsidy, not sure if I would have if I was paying retail.
Did you order the 7+ online or did you find it in store?

I'm sure you were at joking at least a little. I have unfortunately met people that actually care what type of phone/computer other people use.
I was joking. I have an opinion on the whole Android vs Apple, but not enough for me to be outspoken about it or look down on someone else. That's just petty.

Is Verizon still not able to talk and surf at the same time or did they fix that ?

Long time ago with the advent of LTE. Everyone's doing VoLTE these days as data anyway.

As far as iPhone 7 goes, nope. Dragging out iPhone 6+ lifespan until Samsung or Google gets their act together and then dumping the Apple Tax.

They've lost their innovation edge and it isn't coming back under Cook, ever. He doesn't have the chops for it. Until the Board finds a visionary, Apple stuff isn't worth the extra dollars paid for it. They'll either need to lower prices or do something interesting. Or at least up their quality game. Way too many bugs lately. I can get that level of bugginess for 2/3 the price.

As far as iPhone 7 goes, nope. Dragging out iPhone 6+ lifespan until Samsung or Google gets their act together and then dumping the Apple Tax.

There are certainly cheaper options out there, with some rivaling, or even exceeding the iPhone in any given area(s). Choice, and competition, improve the breed.

iPhones certainly ain't cheap. But on an installment plan, they work out to about $1 a day. For the myriad benefits a smartphone brings, in that light it's not so bad. We save a LOT of time and money using apps like WAZE and RedLaser and Travelocity and the like. $1 a day seems like peanuts viewed like that. I'd go so far as to say they pay for themselves over time.

Rotary dialing nearly made it onto the iPhone!

ma-bell-iphone-131004.jpg

There are certainly cheaper options out there, with some rivaling, or even exceeding the iPhone in any given area(s). Choice, and competition, improve the breed.

iPhones certainly ain't cheap. But on an installment plan, they work out to about $1 a day. For the myriad benefits a smartphone brings, in that light it's not so bad. We save a LOT of time and money using apps like WAZE and RedLaser and Travelocity and the like. $1 a day seems like peanuts viewed like that. I'd go so far as to say they pay for themselves over time.

That's the thing, all of those apps are available on Android which makes the "apple tax" less and less palatable overall. Apps aren't the delineator anymore between iOS and Android.*

*Other than Foreflight, and I've said it before that they're painting themselves into a corner not doing Android because Apple isn't worthy of hitching one's wagon to, long term, unless they fire Cook... Garmin and WingX will happily take the Android switchers... and once someone uses those, they'll move to them on the tablets too, and then it's bye bye apple as being a necessary OS for aviation... over time anyway.

Faster, thinner, more memory. The same attributes that lead me to upgrade my computer. For those who don't waste their time telling the world what they hate.... I ordered my new phone from Verizon yesterday and got the tracking info that it will arrive on Wednesday. Apple is catching up on the lead times for the 7+.

Probably the wise move the iphones/tablets is to just run what you have until you are not happy with it, then buy the newest or next to newest phone. For the most part they're just making little incremental improvements with each release.

I just got the 7 plus 256Gb iPhone.. I think it was worth the upgrade for the better camera and more storage capacity!

Have a 5S, going to a 7+ ...................once Verizon actually has them to give me

My Verizon store has 7s in stock but had to order a 7+. Thay told me it may take a month. Fedex tracking says it arrives today. That's 3 days.

I'll ping them again today if I get a moment

Put my 32gb unlocked 5s on eBay, with a starting price of $135 to be sure I clear at least as much as Gazelle offered me after fees.

One bid so far.

We used swappa.com for our old iPhone 5s ... plural 5 not model "5s" :) or maybe they were model "5s"s
got more than they were going for on eBay at that time.

I thought about the 7 but I'll probably stay with the 6S even though I'm on Apple's upgrade program. I wish I had been able to wait for the SE since I like the smaller size. I wonder if there will be an upgraded SE in the spring.

Back