How far a drive to the airport for you?

How long does it take to get to your plane?

• Total voters

bmoeller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RedHeadBarron
This has probably been talked about numerous times. My searches failed to bring any threads up, so I quickly threw in the towel. Just curious what others experience in drive time to get to their home base.

Although there are 4 airports within 10mins of me, I currently drive 45mins to get to the plane. I'm in a club, so the money savings and nicer aircraft are big pros, but I wish it was closer.

three that I rent from are:
miles from the hizzy.
another one is 28 miles but I don't rent from them cause they only have those goofy high wing things.

I'm 25-30 minutes from 4 different airports (Class C (1), D (1), and E (2) ). Aircraft rental only available at one of them. I live in the largest suburb of the Tulsa metro area and we have no airport. :confused:

All my airports are in the 30-45 minute range. Only 30 minutes in the morning on the weekend, otherwise traffic makes it about 45.

I dream of one day having a runway in my backyard. It would make it so convienent and practical to fly more places.

About 4 minutes if its an emergency. Otherwise 6 minutes.

When I was a line pilot we had a 15 minute to the airport policy.

Home, work, and airport are all just under 15 minutes apart... on back roads, no traffic. :) I do more flying after work than I do on the weekends.

I used to keep my plane at an airport across the river... 25 minutes if the drawbridge was down, 45-60 if I had to wait for the bridge to go down, over an hour if the drawbridge was broken (happened often) and I had to go the long way.

I can't vote because my drive time depends on time of day (and thus the amount of retarded monkeys sharing the road here in the republic of Nuevo Kalyfornya).
So while the airport is only 15 miles away and it takes me around 15 minutes to get there in the middle of the night, I can easily waste 1.5 hours of my life trying to drive there on a workday afternoon.

My drive is 22 miles and 30 minutes...there 2 (slightly) closer airports, but the manager of my airport just won "Airport manager of the year", and his hard work shows at the airport, so I'm staying put.

All my airports are in the 30-45 minute range. Only 30 minutes in the morning on the weekend, otherwise traffic makes it about 45.

I dream of one day having a runway in my backyard. It would make it so convienent and practical to fly more places.
Be careful, someday you may achieve your dream!
I had an airstrip on my property once....ONCE! LOL. Between the pi$$ed off neighbors and the 8 hour mowings (using 10 gallons of gas in the farm tractor), it didn't take me long to give it up.

Closest is 10 minutes or less, the second is 25-30 minutes away depending on time of day.

6-10 minutes. When I flew out of 44N, 40 minutes or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20-40 minutes depending on traffic for the GA airport. 30 mins-1.5 hours depending on traffic to go to the work plane.

about 40-45 to either place in two different directions. It can be frustrating to drive an hour and half and have an hour of pre-flight and post-flight to fly an hour.

We used to live about half a mile from the airport, but I couldn't afford to take flying lessons. had to wait until we'd moved 15 minutes away. :) It's still not a bad drive! If the plane's been pre-flighted the night before, I can be wheels-up about 30 minutes after leaving the house.

I plan for 15 minutes to mine and 25 minutes to the club planes. <- See that?

And you'll all be glad to know that there are no highways involved so my slow driving won't effect you.

From work, it's a 10 minute drive, from home it's around 25-30 minutes. Most of the time I leave from work when I fly.

From work, it's a 10 minute drive, from home it's around 25-30 minutes. Most of the time I leave from work when I fly.

I work from home most of the time, but when I do go into the office, it's a 5min drive. I have to keep reminding myself of that. I think most of my flights will be after work to keep fresh. Weekends will be family outings, so that 50min travel time isn't too bothersome.

30 minutes if I don't get pulled over. I have an airport 10 minutes from me but it cost $130 for a covered slip. So I chose the 30 minute drive and I get an electric door T hangar for $125.

20 -25 minutes from Front door to Hangar door, depending on traffic. 18 miles to drive, less than 10 as the crow flies. Another decent GA airport is only 8 miles in a straight line, but it longer to drive there.

Why Bugs Bunny comes to mind after reading that has to be attributed to many many great Saturday mornings...

Lol, for me it's more about the damn Canada geese.

The airport closest to my home (KBXG) is 10 minutes away (7 miles), but they don't have fuel or hangars. The next airport south (2J5) is about 18 minutes (19 miles), but is an easy drive considering it is a divided highway with 65 mph speed limit. They just built new hangars at 2J5 this spring so it was a very easy decision to make the move. It is really nice having a new hangar, especially when bad weather like hurricane Matthew passes through. I got my airplane painted last October and it is worth the extra time to the airport knowing my plane is not having to sit out in the weather.

Well, since we closed on our new house yesterday I can see airplanes tied down from the kitchen window, the bathroom window, and a bedroom window. Walking slowly, maybe a half minute walk! :D

30-40 min to the current one. There's a closer airport about 20 minutes away but they had no hangar space available. However, I don't even want to go there now, that airport has a single 4,000' strip and is mostly unattended. The one I'm at has a 7,000' and two 5400' runways, is attended most of the time, has mx on the field, and since I'm in the community hangar the FBO gets my plane out and puts it away for me, they also will fuel it. So if I call on the way out the door my airplane is on the ramp and fueled when I arrive. When I'm done I just leave it on the ramp and they take care of it. That saves so much time I think it's still faster to stay where I'm at.

For the amount I fly, I'm ashamed to say that my house is under the base leg of the pattern and 5 minutes from the airport.

5 minutes if I make the three traffic lights, 10 if I don't.

I'm 14.5 miles from my plane. In most other places, that should be 15-20 minutes. But because this is Southern California, it's 30 - 60 minutes. (With 30 more likely when I ride my motorcycle.)

7 miles 10 min in heavy traffic, 8 min in light traffic......;)

I'm 14 mins house to hangar and 7 mins office desk to hangar...:goofy:

It's a little less than 15 minutes if there's no traffic and the lights to my way and a little more than 15 if otherwise. Unfortunately, that wasn't one of the choices so I had to choose 15-30min.

Far enough that if I were actually flying to get somewhere, driving would be faster.

Rich

Back