lack of former easy services

You can't do what that tool does, with a hammer. Swaged cable fittings have several dimensional checks that would be impossible without the proper tooling. When I saw $7000, I thought; What a steal!!!

Should have said wrench or thingmabob. No, of course you can't swage a fitting with a hammer.

In the mean time you whine about not having a place to get cables fabricated.
There are better options than paying 7k for a tool to do 4 cables.

Talk to those exp guys, or surely on the RV forums they'd have a place to send them.
Would you like to assume the liability of making control cables, or gain the PMA for manufacturing the Piper or Cessna part numbers?

I thought you did aircraft maintenance for a living?
Not any more. I keep 4 customers to re-qual for the IA, that is all I'm doing. plus my projects at home like Varieze.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Talk to those exp guys, or surely on the RV forums they'd have a place to send them.

Would you like to assume the liability of making control cables, or gain the PMA for manufacturing the Piper or Cessna part numbers?

Would I like to? Well it's really not about me at all. I simply made a suggestion to help you in your quest.

Had an A&P replace an aileron cable with nicopress. He did not have the go/nogo measuring tool and felt it was good because it matched the factory end with his micrometer. We did not know he had not completed the work correctly. The cable came apart inflight. Aircraft landed ok off airport.

Another A&P IA replaced flap cables. He ordered cables at set lengths with the fitted ends you describe. It was many years ago and I do not know where he ordered them from.

Let'sgoflying! said:

Would I like to? Well it's really not about me at all. I simply made a suggestion to help you in your quest.
The "you" was to any one reading, not just you.

The liability is always there, that is the main reason most all repair stations buy pre-mad cable, so they can pass the liability.

Tom, have you checked with Flying Hertitage at KPAE? Seems like their shop might have something like that for their resto work.

Have you tried Skully at Beechhust cables? He's made me some modified cables for the PA46 and went out oh his way to help. Have you tried searching on ILS for a used machine? I've bought a lot of used Pratt tools on there a good prices.

These guys can probably do it for you:
Sinclair Aircraft Antique Restorations
Criag Sinclair
(603)964-2223

Did you try the guys up in Everett? I use to work there and I made the cables for the Southwest 737s. It used to be Tramco then B.F.Goodrich bought them and now I don know who bought them. Maybe worth a shot.

Tom, have you checked with Flying Hertitage at KPAE? Seems like their shop might have something like that for their resto work.
They don't work for the public.

These guys can probably do it for you:
Sinclair Aircraft Antique Restorations
Criag Sinclair
(603)964-2223
Yep,, I'm sure enough going to take them to New Hampshire :)

Back