"Yachting" in an airplane

X-plane or Prepar3d

I'm thinking that the aviation route would be more expensive than the sailboat route, but then again, I know nothing about sailboats.

Back to the OP's situation - if I were an independent claims adjuster I would definitely want my own airplane so I could get to where the action is. After a disaster in most cases commercial service and or big airports are shut down for at least a whole 24 hours. If you can get in first and start closing claims you get a good leg up on your competition.

I have cruised internationally in both a 172 and a 36ft sailboat, and would very strongly recommend the boat over the plane for a trip like this.

In many locations, it's a real liability to store a plane unless it's being watched, similar to having to pay for a marina every night rather than anchoring out. It's also easier to leave someplace when you go away. The boat gives you much more freedom to anchor out, and a place to sleep, cook, and stretch out when it's nasty outside. A plane is also much more fragile in weather.

Find the thread of vlad's EPIC trip around north america in his RV - someone here has the link.

In your shoes, I'd get on findacrew.net and do some passagemaking in a sailboat so you have a good reference for the two experiences. Then, whatever you choose, go cheap and go now. Don't wait.

I would think that unless the OP had access to an insane amount of cash, he's better off going the sailboat route. Flying in the US is expensive. Flying everywhere else is ridiculously expensive. Particularly if we're talking something like a Grumman Albatross. Better start working on your A&P too, as it requires a lot of maintenance. Another issue is that planes don't make good living areas, and most airports in the world are not too friendly to folks living in aircraft. You've got issues like lack of bathing facilities, air conditioning (airport ramps and hangars get real hot!). Even with an amphib your gonna spend most of your time at airports (for services such as maintenance, fuel, customs, etc). Amphibs don't do well sitting in water for extended periods so you're gonna have to find some dry land to store it. Lastly, unlike cruising, you're likely going to be on your own in your endeavor without much of a community or resources. Remember, in many places, as an aircraft owner you're a target because you're assumed to be rich, so expect to hustled.

I would think boat owners would fall into the same category of "assumed rich", right? Or is it just a different level?

Back to the OP's situation - if I were an independent claims adjuster I would definitely want my own airplane so I could get to where the action is. After a disaster in most cases commercial service and or big airports are shut down for at least a whole 24 hours. If you can get in first and start closing claims you get a good leg up on your competition.
This guy knows! In regards to some of the other comments this is the only reason that a plane is even remotely feasible on a long term journey like this. In talking with some AU adjusters I've heard that many areas can be extremely difficult to get to and this is a first-come first-serve kind of industry. With a commission based income and a limited supply of claims you can easily make an extra $1000 or more by being on location a single day earlier than the others.

I would think boat owners would fall into the same category of "assumed rich", right? Or is it just a different level?
I think the distance cruiser folks tend not to get pegged as rich in the same sense as aircraft owners, particularly outside the US. The distance cruiser folks aren't sailing polished gold plated vessels docked front and center. They're sailing a bit more weathered craft anchored out on moorings.

I have cruised internationally in both a 172 and a 36ft sailboat, and would very strongly recommend the boat over the plane for a trip like this.

In many locations, it's a real liability to store a plane unless it's being watched, similar to having to pay for a marina every night rather than anchoring out. It's also easier to leave someplace when you go away. The boat gives you much more freedom to anchor out, and a place to sleep, cook, and stretch out when it's nasty outside. A plane is also much more fragile in weather.

Find the thread of vlad's EPIC trip around north america in his RV - someone here has the link.

In your shoes, I'd get on findacrew.net and do some passagemaking in a sailboat so you have a good reference for the two experiences. Then, whatever you choose, go cheap and go now. Don't wait.
The storage question is a huge concern and I really don't have an answer to that yet. The more research I do the more I'm leaning away from a larger plane, mobility and speed is the main draw of the plane and the extra cost/hassle of a larger craft is hard to justify. That being said, the Grumman is exactly what I thought of when traveling by plane came to mind.

If this were an entirely recreational journey there'd be no question, boat through and through, especially since I have at least coastal/lake sailing experience. However my business(es) are all so dependent on mobility both inland and coastal. A plane also offers the ability to jump forward or backward quickly to catch a disaster or new mining opportunity before resuming recreational travel which is a huge advantage. On a good storm it's not unreasonable to make 20-30K in a month though that isn't very reliable, I figure with money saved it's not unreasonable to afford a plane and its long term expenses.

As to that last comment, god I wish I could leave immediately. Mounting international political tensions, the world has never been this open or stable, and wanderlust are both driving me to get out as soon as I can. Unfortunately (though not really) I've made commitments to a friend and mentor who started a school for teaching insurance adjusting, mainly for veterans but not exclusively. Once Veteran Adjusting School is in a more stable position I can really start making plans for this journey, but a man's only as good as his word and I've given mine.

Planning on a trip through the Caribbean, and now possibly flight school, to punctuate the next few years while I'm stuck here but it's off to the races as soon as that's done (2018).

I think the distance cruiser folks tend not to get pegged as rich in the same sense as aircraft owners, particularly outside the US. The distance cruiser folks aren't sailing polished gold plated vessels docked front and center. They're sailing a bit more weathered craft anchored out on moorings.
With the depreciation rates on anything floating they won't be too rich too long anyways. That being said, just being American has many people assuming wealth from the get-go.

Looking through these planes (Grumman mostly) I can't help but think, "Damn I wish I had a trust fund..."

X-plane or Prepar3d

I'm thinking that the aviation route would be more expensive than the sailboat route, but then again, I know nothing about sailboats.
Much appreciated. Forgot I asked and my first thought was, "That's a funny name for a plane..."

Something a little bit in between would be this modern day version of the Grumman Widgeon called the Gweduck.
http://www.gweduck.com/
What's nice about it is the hull is all composite so most of the corrosion issues are sorted. Put some Walter turboprop motors on there and now you'll have worldwide fuel availability.

The more I look into this the more I'm hooked, but I really can't tell where to start. Simulators? Flight school? Books?

I plan on having a friend take me up when I get back to Arizona but I won't have a whole lot of free time until early next year, but I'd like to start preparing if possible. Once I get into something it tends to dominate my mind. Heck, last week this wasn't even on a concept and now I'm on this forum five times a day. Any advice in this regard is really appreciated.

Something a little bit in between would be this modern day version of the Grumman Widgeon called the Gweduck.
http://www.gweduck.com/
What's nice about it is the hull is all composite so most of the corrosion issues are sorted. Put some Walter turboprop motors on there and now you'll have worldwide fuel availability.
This thing looks like an amazing middle ground. Online I'm finding only roughly quoted prices around 350, how much of a price difference would you expect for the turboprops?

On that note, I'm hoping to have about 200-250 saved by the time I'm ready to depart with around 100-150 cash for the boat or plane. What's it like trying to get financing for a plane?

The more I look into this the more I'm hooked, but I really can't tell where to start. Simulators? Flight school? Books?

I plan on having a friend take me up when I get back to Arizona but I won't have a whole lot of free time until early next year, but I'd like to start preparing if possible. Once I get into something it tends to dominate my mind. Heck, last week this wasn't even on a concept and now I'm on this forum five times a day. Any advice in this regard is really appreciated.

Read a book called Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langweische. Originally published in 1944 and still a great resource. You can do some flight sim stuff but it isn't going to teach you much other than the very basics of control inputs. I would start your flight training as soon as you can, the more time (experience) you have the better off you will be. And the cheaper insurance will be.

Read a book called Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langweische. Originally published in 1944 and still a great resource. You can do some flight sim stuff but it isn't going to teach you much other than the very basics of control inputs. I would start your flight training as soon as you can, the more time (experience) you have the better off you will be. And the cheaper insurance will be.
Good to know, considering my world journey will largely be solo I'd rather overdue ob training anyways but I hadn't thought about the effect on insurance rates. Kinda goofy of me considering my business...

I imagine it's going to be a little difficult getting experience with amphib's in AZ so I imagine I'll need to start there and eventually train somewhere else.

I think there's a place in northern AZ that does amphibian training.

Keep in mind that the acquisition cost is only a small part of the costs for an aircraft.

Operational costs will need to be planned for.

You can buy an old Mig for $50k, but you don't see a lot of them lying around airports. There's a reason for that... ;)

The best place to start is to mosey on down to the closest GA airport and start talking to some pilots (we're a friendly bunch). You don't need to be in AZ. There is probably a small field within 10 miles of you, now. I used to travel about 70% for a few years all over the U.S. and if I had an extra few hours I would book a flight at the closest airport. Most/all schools offer discovery flights. It is a great way to check out an area (Birdseye view).

Years ago, Dean Wilson (the designer of the original Avid Flyer) designed a flying amphibious motorhome called the Wilson Global Explorer. Several were built and were destined to be used for exactly the kind of adventure you are talking about. More searching might turn up additional details, but this website gives you a brief look at one inside, and out.
http://www.coastcomp.com/av/fltline2/avion.htm

Personally, the camping option has always worked for me. Given the right plane, you don;t even need a runway to land on. Here I am camped on a dry lakebed I landed on in Nevada. A short take off and landing (STOL) plane provides an extra margin of safety because you have the option of putting it down in some tight spots if/when unexpected problems arise. I can get my plane into a 300' clearing, and that provides a significant margin of safety when things go south on you. The downside is that my plane is slow, so long trips take longer.
1z1htMIl.jpg

Years ago, Dean Wilson (the designer of the original Avid Flyer) designed a flying amphibious motorhome called the Wilson Global Explorer. Several were built and were destined to be used for exactly the kind of adventure you are talking about. More searching might turn up additional details, but this website gives you a brief look at one inside, and out.
http://www.coastcomp.com/av/fltline2/avion.htm

Personally, the camping option has always worked for me. Given the right plane, you don;t even need a runway to land on. Here I am camped on a dry lakebed I landed on in Nevada. A short take off and landing (STOL) plane provides an extra margin of safety because you have the option of putting it down in some tight spots if/when unexpected problems arise. I can get my plane into a 300' clearing, and that provides a significant margin of safety when things go south on you. The downside is that my plane is slow, so long trips take longer.
Ya someone else actually mentioned this as well and it is exactly I first imagined when the idea of flying rather than sailing came to mind.
I can't find anything regarding what these cost and it seems like there were only two built, but regardless I'm leaning towards a somewhat smaller plane now thanks to info from this forum and my own research.

Of course everything is speculative at this point as I don't plan on making a decision until I've finished (or started for that matter) flight school.

Last edited:
The best place to start is to mosey on down to the closest GA airport and start talking to some pilots (we're a friendly bunch). You don't need to be in AZ. There is probably a small field within 10 miles of you, now. I used to travel about 70% for a few years all over the U.S. and if I had an extra few hours I would book a flight at the closest airport. Most/all schools offer discovery flights. It is a great way to check out an area (Birdseye view).
The wait isn't because of location so much as time constraints, I'm in Florida working hurricane Matthew and so long as I'm here I'll be working 16-19 hour days 7 days a week.

Last edited:
This thing looks like an amazing middle ground. Online I'm finding only roughly quoted prices around 350, how much of a price difference would you expect for the turboprops?

On that note, I'm hoping to have about 200-250 saved by the time I'm ready to depart with around 100-150 cash for the boat or plane. What's it like trying to get financing for a plane?

Kid,
Those engines run about 55 grand each ! Just pray for a little more atmospheric mischief and you'll have them no problem !

You're also gonna need a very flexible and talented instructor along just to keep you out of trouble so I'll volunteer myself just so you don't become a statistic.
Art

Kid,
Those engines run about 55 grand each ! Just pray for a little more atmospheric mischief and you'll have them no problem !

You're also gonna need a very flexible and talented instructor along just to keep you out of trouble so I'll volunteer myself just so you don't become a statistic.
Art
Now as far as I can find this is a kit plane which opens up a whole new batch of queries, but I'll stick to the finance for now:
Since it's a kit I'd figure you wouldn't have to buy the Lycoming engines in the first place, so if those are X the total cost adjustment wouldn't be 55 grand, correct?

George Costanza's always welcome on my boat.

To everyone who's providing information it's really appreciated. I know it's easy to dismiss all this as youthful pipe dreams, especially since the entire flight aspect is so speculative, but I need to know if this is financially feasible and logical(ish) before I invest too much into schooling etc.

Flying has always had an attraction as my grandpa flew in the navy during WW2, but this journey has been my life's ambition and I don't spare much that doesn't in some way forward that goal.

Whether you end up doing this grande adventure or not, learning to fly is a really fun and challenging achievement in itself and opens up vast horizons that you may have not even thought of yet. Go ahead and do it.

Whether you end up doing this grande adventure or not, learning to fly is a really fun and challenging achievement in itself and opens up vast horizons that you may have not even thought of yet. Go ahead and do it.
Concur. Whether the RtW by plane works out, someone with your nomadic genes needs as many tools and skills possible for getting around. Go take a discovery flight. Plenty of strips in Florida to choose from, and I reckon some PoA'ers are nearby too.

Back