Garmin aera 560 WITH XM

1winston

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
winny
I'm selling my Garmin aera 560 with XM antenna included. Garmin sells two versions and mine is the more expensive model because of XM weather/radio. Perfect like new condition! Also has the hard wire kit being able to directly connect to your GPS for cross fill flight information. Reliable backup with battery power especially in IMC. Yoke mount included and Cirrus dash custom bracket if needed. Will ship for free in US. $599.00
PH: 4one4-2three4-nine67five. Thanks

Stupid question, why did you have one in a Cirrus? Esp. one with a pair of GTN650s?

Just curious...

Stupid question, why did you have one in a Cirrus? Esp. one with a pair of GTN650s?

Just curious...
Good question. The short answer; redundancy. If in IMC and the aircraft has an electrical failure or a battery failure, the aera has a battery back up and the standby six pack instruments are now your primary flight gauges. It's really nice to have your flight plan always automatically synced to the aera from any Garmin gps as it's a life saver! Cirrus back up steam gauges are electrical, so losing battery power causes your attitude indicater to fail. Another big selling point for the aera is that it's certified for IFR flight.

Certified for IFR?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Say whuuut? I've never heard of any portable GPS that is legal for IFR flight...it's only a supplement to a primary source.

I would side with my instructor and DPE on this. If you are doing any real IFR, it pays to have a portable ship powered, battery backup GPS. If the whole airplane goes dark, you still have at least one functioning GPS device to navigate with to safety.

I don't think many would disagree that a portable battery powered GPS would be good to have around. The OP originally stated his portable GPS was IFR certified, which it most certainly is not. That sure would save me alot of money if it was!

That's a good deal on a great GPS. Even if you use ADS-B for weather, you can get a $5/month subscription to XM Radio and use it to listen to Satellite radio too. Good luck to the new owner.

Back