Do I log this?

Rykymus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rykymus
In another thread I described how I spent a few minutes in heavy rain, severe turbulence, and complete IMC (at night) when I inadvertently flew into a low-hanging thunderstorm. (While on a VFR flight.)

I am not yet instrument rated. (Currently practicing while I await my checkride on Nov 10.)

Do I log the actual time in IMC?

Well, I didn't log the 4 seconds I flew through a cloud. Probably not best you log that either, but I dunno lol.

There are situations when you can log actual without being so rated or on an IFR clearance, but I see no upside to doing such.

Pros: save yourself 0.1 hour of the 40 hours required for your rating

Cons: have a very awkward conversation with the DPE who checks your logbook to ensure you have those 40 hours and sees you logged actual without a CFII's signature

I'm not a certificated pilot, but considering it. Can I log the time I'm at the controls of my buddies plane? Of course I wouldn't claim PIC time.

In another thread I described how I spent a few minutes in heavy rain, severe turbulence, and complete IMC (at night) when I inadvertently flew into a low-hanging thunderstorm. (While on a VFR flight.)

I am not yet instrument rated. (Currently practicing while I await my checkride on Nov 10.)

Do I log the actual time in IMC?
No

It would be like trying to log time in a twin when you're rated for SEL. So no, legally you cannot log it on your own without a CFII sitting next to you.

Last edited:
Pros: save yourself 0.1 hour of the 40 hours required for your rating

Cons: have a very awkward conversation with the DPE who checks your logbook to ensure you have those 40 hours and sees you logged actual without a CFII's signature

That.

Cost benefit, I don't know why you'd bother to log it

It is most definitely legal to log it. And the discussion with the DPE would take all of about 30 seconds.

Is it worth the effort? Probably not.

Is it legal? I always thought a VFR pilot cannot log actual without a -II.

He also doesn't legally HAVE to log it.

I wouldn't log it, when he takes his IFR ride, I'd wager the DPE is going to flip through his log and check out what actual he got, could likley open up a whole nother topic when asked about IMC he got on a non dual flight, guess he could spin it into a positive, but it's also very easy to put a bad taste in the DPEs mouth if you don't explain that flight just right.

That's the thing. The flight broke the rules. I think the OP could log the time as it accurately states what happened, but it's like keeping a ledger for buying alcohol for minors. Writing down what you did isn't the legally questionable part.

I don't think the OP really did anything wrong on his flight. But if it were me I wouldn't log it and draw the DPE's attention to it.

The old thread raises a more intriguing question for me. The 1984 interpretation was that flight solely by reference to instruments while flying on a moonless night over open ocean was legal VFR and luggable as actual instrument time. How barren does the ground have to be to make that work if you're not near an ocean? I need hours for my rating and safety pilots are a rare breed up here, but in the winter nights are very long.

I think we're talking two different things here again. There's having the required VFR visibility on a moonless night = "actual instrument conditions." That's still VMC and legal. Then, there's flying with less than VFR visibility in a rain shower at night. He's most likely still "actual instrument conditions" but now not legal because he is also IMC.

Last edited:
If it comes up on an airline interview it will be questioned...possibly with raised eyebrows. I can tell you that you DON'T want to be a pilot "teaching" an airline interviewer that its legal, if he thinks it isn't. Ditto DPE.

But...technically you can log it as IMC if you flew by instruments alone, even if you aren't IFR rated or current and it COULD be in VFR conditions.

And BTW, you can log anything you want. Flying with your dog or one I actually did, flying on an IFR flight plan. Doesn't mean it's meaningful for any hours requirement for a rating though.

I'm not actually planning on logging it. I have no real need to do so. I did submit a NASA report, however, as I had contacted ATC to ask for vectors out. (Unfortunately, their weather radar was down for that area at the time.)

I'm strictly a private pilot and will never go commercial, so "actual" time logged is not terribly important to me. And I agree that logging it, although accurate, would likely bring up more questions than it is worth.

I was just curious what all of you thought.

On the other hand, if the aircraft was flown in those conditions, who flew it? You filed a NASA report and contacted ATC, might as well log it before you lose it. Jk

I logged mine while I was a PPL student. DPE for IRA just shrugged her shoulders. It's an experience thing, irrelevant to the 40+ hr experience requirement for the IRA

Back