Bonanza a Down at KFXE

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Former wife texted me that a mile from her house, "The foam truck was ready; apparently, problem with landing gear. Bonanza; two on board very lucky."

HR

Ugh - that sucks. :(

Glad nobody is hurt, though.

Former wife texted me that a mile from her house, "The foam truck was ready; apparently, problem with landing gear. Bonanza; two on board very lucky."

HR

She must have meant "Beech".

That's sad, hopefully they fix it instead of totaling it.
Hopefully. Looks like a nice one on the outside. Will depend a lot on how much it's insured for. On the good side, it has the two blade HS props instead of the 3 blade Hartzells. Those are like 25k a prop to replace. Looks like the airplane us resting entirely on the engine nacelles.

I can't tell if the Tailwheel is out in those photos, so not sure if it was a gear up or gear collapse.

Hopefully. Looks like a nice one on the outside. Will depend a lot on how much it's insured for. On the good side, it has the two blade HS props instead of the 3 blade Hartzells. Those are like 25k a prop to replace. Looks like the airplane us resting entirely on the engine nacelles.

I can't tell if the Tailwheel is out in those photos, so not sure if it was a gear up or gear collapse.
Here's a pic of it

Attachments

• IMG_2567.PNG
    IMG_2567.PNG
    941.8 KB · Views: 108
Yeah, full flaps and the tail wheel is only partially out. Looks like he couldn't get the gear down. That sucks. Be interesting to find out if he didn't fully understand the emergency gear extension procedure or if there was something preventing the gear from coming down.

A friend of mine has a twin bonanza, and the mains don't completely disappear when retracted. He said they actually keep the plane off its engines in case the gear won't drop. Of course, that doesn't help the props. :(

Anybody know how corrosive the foam is that the fire departments use? I heard that an airplane is basically junk once sprayed because you can't get it out. No verifiable proof, so just a rumor at this point....o_O

Brian

Could be an old check hauler with improper maintenance. Or.....maybe he forgot the gear entirely. Does not appear to be the " pride of the fleet".

Never good when an old bird has an incident,hope they don't just part out the old bird.

Naw, it's a Cessna. Just wait for the black box to prove it.

Well the whole issue of Cessnas without "black boxes" is alive and well up north after this prominent Citation accident one week ago. The plane appears to have augered in as it was climbing out, the wreckage was concentrated in an area about 150 x 150 yards, and none the trees outside the impact area were damaged as one would expect in a CFIT scenario.

Former Alberta premier among four dead after plane crash near Kelowna
Former Alberta premier Jim Prentice is among four people dead after a small plane crashed Thursday night outside of Kelowna.

The Cessna Citation jet had departed from Kelowna and was headed toward Springbank, Alta., a rural community near Calgary, said Bill Yearwood of the Transportation Safety Board.

the-wreckage-of-a-cessna-citation-which-crashed-on-october-1.jpeg

Kelowna crash highlights need for cockpit recorders on small planes, says TSB
Transportation Safety Board has been calling for cockpit voice recorders on smaller planes since 1991
CBC News Last Updated: Oct 18, 2016 7:43 AM PT

There are renewed calls for flight data or cockpit voice recorders to be carried on smaller planes following a crash in B.C. last week that killed four people, including former Alberta premier Jim Prentice.

The plane carrying Prentice, optometrist Ken Gellatley, Calgary businessman Sheldon Reid, and pilot and retired RCMP officer Jim Kruk took off from Kelowna B.C. Thursday night, headed for the Springbank Airport near Calgary.

It crashed eight minutes later killing all on board. The twin jet engine Cessna Citation did not have voice or data recorders on board, and was not required to carry the devices.

The TSB has been calling for regulations requiring cockpit voice recorders on planes since 1991, and it says low-cost recorders have since been developed.

Transportation Safety Board chairwoman Kathy Fox said investigating Thursday's crash near Kelowna is a reminder of how important the devices are...

She must have meant "Beech".
Thanks for the clarification, she knows nothing about airplanes, wouldn't know a Beech from a Piper; probably was TEXTING me referencing reports she HEARD. It had just happened and she saw/heard cruisers/sirens passing her house.

Don't know if it's the same operation or not but I do know that they run a few Beech 18s out of FLL full to gills with bread of all things over to the islands.

Back