Thoughts on time between flights

steviedeviant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StevieD
Just curious, from a safety perspective, your thoughts on this. What do you all think is the maximum number of months you should go without flying before you take a "update" ride with a CFI? I am not talking about taking passengers...just in general.

I have been flying a Cherokee 140 and it has been a while since I flew a Cessna. I am confident I can still fly it.... but just curious what you all think about time between flights.

Stephen

I learned to fly initially in a 172, then flew a couple hundred hours in a TB9 then another hundred or so in a Cirrus.
I went back and rented the old 172 thinking something real smart like "Duh, that is like going back to a tricycle"

Took off and was quickly humbled. It wasn't responding quickly, felt fragile and wasn't responding to my inputs well.
I landed (bounced down the runway) got out and felt really stupid.

Probably has a lot to do with how dissimilar the aircraft are. I have only flown a 140 once so I don't recall how different it flies from a 172 but the Cirrus is so different that I should have gone up w/ a CFI first.

I'd think you at the very least want to be getting 3-4hrs a month, if you're just doing fun short range VFR fun flying.

If you're playing in IMC and doing major X/Cs or any speciality stuff, that number would probably be higher.

I don't like having more than 3 weeks in between flights, but sometimes the wallet disagrees with me.

Different for everybody, I suppose, but I'm on the eman 3-week plan too. As time goes by, it's more a problem with the radio calls being rough rather than controlling the aircraft.

I find it helps to rehearse the calls out loud to knock off the rust.

Depends on your experience.
That's really the answer. Your experience matters a lot. Not only number of hours but type of experience. Overall and in that airplane.

Since @steviedeviant asks about an airplane he hasn't flown in some time, here's an example.

I learned how to fly and got my private in a Tomahawk. That was 1990. In the 26 years since then, I had two Tomahawk flights, one 1996 and one in 2002, for a combined total of 1.1 hours. The 2002 one was a huge 0.4 hours of stick time. 26 years since real experience; 14 years since any.

This year a student asked me to instruct in the Tomahawk he bought for his own training. I hopped into the right seat (first time in that seat in this model) and off we went. I felt right at home.

I like go no more more than two weeks, but I went three months last year, waiting for an annual inspection. I was nervous until the run-up, and everything came back quickly. Were it six months or more, I'd have had a CFI tag along. Pick a calm day. ;)

I think it all depends on your comfort level and your experience level. I flew a Piper Archer to SoCal last week after going about 6 months without flying it. A portion of it was at night in IMC. The day before flying it I spent a hour or so reviewing the POH and making sure I knew all the numbers and special PA28 characteristics. I felt competent and flew accordingly. The plane is also 40 knots flower than what I am used to flying so keeping up with the plane wasn't much of an issue.
If I went 6 months not flying the 182RG, I would probably want to take a flight with a CFI or at least a very competent pilot before I ventured up at all. Personal preference.
Some people could probably jump into a Citation after years of not flying and be fine, while someone else could jump into a 152 and be a danger to the world.

I never really thought about this. (Mostly cuz I've been flying my butt off working on my IR.) The few times that I've gone 3-4 weeks without flying, I just went out and did a few laps around the pattern, then out to the practice area for maneuvers. (Alone) Even at 6 months, I doubt I'd seek out a CFI. However, it all depends on what I'm planning to do, how long it's been, and if I'm taking passengers. There's no magic number.

BTW: I make it a habit to go up and practice all the PPL maneuvers and landings once per month. After I get my IR, I'm planning on racking up the 6 month currency requirements every 6 months as well. (I put my nephew through his PPL so that I always have a safety pilot available!)

It all depends. An airplane is an airplane and they all fly alike.
You know how to fly. Just git in and go. Your comfort level will return after awhile.

Back