Saudia Airlines False Distress Call

It's not the case that all 7xxx is blocked from normal use. I've certainly gotten those codes. While there are indeed some additional "special" ones for the FAA and the DOD in the 7600-7777 range, there are regular ATC assignable numbers including the entire block from 7000-7477, plus 7610-7676 and 7710-7776.

See the appendices to this document: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/JO_7110.66D_.pdf.

I never said they were all blocked, I said most facilities won't issue them. Difference in whether they're generally available and whether that facility is normally using that block of numbers. I was curious which facility he was talking to that normally uses them.

I've been assigned 7xxx codes from ZDC or ZNY and I'm pretty sure from ZDV. It's not THAT uncommon.

I've been assigned 7xxx codes from ZDC or ZNY and I'm pretty sure from ZDV. It's not THAT uncommon.

I had a sheet around here somewhere that was fairly old that was the agreed upon codes for a few of the surrounding area tracons and center. It didn't list 7xxx for anything nearby but perhaps they're used as overflow.

And that doc was probably old enough that the computers and systems have been changed more than once by now.

The official document is the one I posted the link to. I remember that the first time I was assigned a 7xxx squawk code I thought it was odd, but it definitely does happen.

I've had 7xxx on the last two trips with New York Approach.

Set transponder to "standby"

Enter SQ code

Set transponder to "Mode C"
This is likely to cause even more problems. ATC would much rather have you cycling through a few different codes as you twist in the correct one than dropping off Mode C entirely. Especially within a Bravo mode C vail that could cause some headaches. If you have an older twist-style transponder just be careful about which codes you cycle through but don't stop squawking.

Get a more modern transponder that you punch in the code with buttons. Nothing changes until you enter the fourth digit.

I always told students to dial in the code backwards to prevent any cycle through the 7s.

This is what my instructor told me also. Way back in 1995 when transponders were made of wood. :-D

Back