Durango P-51 Crash - Med Tests Show Pilot Was Stoned on Marijuana

It made it easier for me. I have no idea how to go about getting it. But then I don't want it so it's not that big a deal for me.

I love getting super high when I fly! High on altitude that is! :cheers:

It made it easier for me. I have no idea how to go about getting it. But then I don't want it so it's not that big a deal for me.

It's just because you don't use it that you don't know how to get it. If you really wanted to and it was still illegal you would have asked a friend or colleague and you would have been hooked up within a couple of hours.

My ex-wife had a real knack for this. We could go into a new city that neither of us know, and in the time it takes me to fill gas and buy milk, she would be able to figure out where to buy weed. Even in a foreign country! When you're in "that world", stuff like that is natural.

Also, if you have teenagers (or know any) ask them whether it's easier for them to buy alcohol or weed. The answer is almost always going to be weed. It was this way even before legalization.

Now the interesting question is - after weed has been legal for long enough and becomes so commercial that it disincentive home growers... Will it still be as easy to obtain for children? I think it might actually become slightly harder.

Supposedly the stats in Colorado indicate greater use by under aged...the stat folks are noting is ER visits for over indulging children have increased since legalization.

Supposedly the stats in Colorado indicate greater use by under aged...the stat folks are noting is ER visits for over indulging children have increased since legalization.

Many of those visits are not from normal use. They are from very young children getting their hands on Edibles. They think grandma's stash is just candy.

WA has seen no uptick in use by the age 12-17 group. It peaked at 2011, which was 2 years before legalization, and remained steady since.

Either way, it's still as easy to buy illegally as it was before so I don't expect that to change much yet.

Heck, I was offered some at my HS reunion, in a state where it is not legal, yet.

In case there is any doubt, I am older than the guy in question.

Legalization made getting the pot easier. That is the only point I made about this.

Are drunk pilots enabled by the easy availability of alcohol? Yup, they are too.

Neither pilot was forced to do anything.

I would like to blame war for this accident. Yeah, war. And avgas. If WWII hadn't caused the need for the US to manufacture Mustangs, and there wasn't any avgas to make that one fly, then this crash never would have happened. I think war makes it too easy to choose to fly a warbird, and since Congress declares war, and they are elected of the people, by the people and for the people, then we should blame people for this crash. We're all responsible, man...

Unknown, but Colorado enabled it. We now have one less beautiful airplane that isn't being made anymore. I'm sorry for his family.
Actually the pilot enabled his consumption. Just because the government says something is legal or not doesn't determine someone's behavior. If he wanted to use marijuana I'm sure he would have regardless of the law.

I think most medical marijuana users are bs artist as well, but to say it has no medical purpose is missing the truth. It's way better than narcotics at treating certain kinds of ailments but if it's in a pill form and you have a doctors prescription then all of a sudden it's legit.

I don't believe that we have had enough research to even know what it can do for us. I had a close relative with cancer and I was willing to go to Colorado for some cannabis oil if deemed necessary. Thankfully, it never got that far. Lots of people do clam it helps and some even claim it can cure certain forms of cancer if caught early enough. I think we need research to find out what it can and can't do.

Correct. Those individuals also tend to attribute their failure in life to external factors, not their own doing.

Gotta agree with that one...especially after this week...

michaelphelpsweed.jpg

d687b135bc733e551a26c3a6ae06224b.jpg

They made the marijuana readily available. You walk in to a shop, show an ID and fork over the money.
Sorry but even illegal marijuana is "readily available". I'm not a user and live in a state prohibiting MJ but I guarantee that I could purchase weed within the hour.

Many of those visits are not from normal use. They are from very young children getting their hands on Edibles. They think grandma's stash is just candy.

People take their kid to the ER for this??

"Oh my gawd, little Timmy is going to get reefer madness from eating a pot brownie, will me make it doc?!"

Same parents who are worried about their precious little chits smoking weed, feed their kids junk and pop, no foresight into the diabetes and MI they are setting Jr up for.

If you're worried about pot and kids, but buy a kid a "happy meal" please slap yourself.

People take their kid to the ER for this??

"Oh my gawd, little Timmy is going to get reefer madness from eating a pot brownie, will me make it doc?!"

Same parents who are worried about their precious little chits smoking weed, feed their kids junk and pop, no foresight into the diabetes and MI they are setting Jr up for.

If you're worried about pot and kids, but buy a kid a "happy meal" please slap yourself.
Don't forget that the equivalent dosage for a small child is MUCH smaller than for an adult. A brownie intended for an adult is a HUGE dose for a toddler and is likely to make him quite sick.

Don't forget that the equivalent dosage for a small child is MUCH smaller than for an adult. A brownie intended for an adult is a HUGE dose for a toddler and is likely to make him quite sick.
Plus the fact that the child may fill up on brownies since they have no concept of the effects of ingesting too much. Even adults are warned not to overdo.

Let's be honest about this. I personally don't care if people smoke pot or not (although not flying), but the "medical marijuana" argument is 99% BS. There are lots of medicines for glaucoma that work great and don't involve getting high.
My sister-in-law has an eating disorder, she doesn't get hungry like normal people and has been unusually thin her whole life. Medical marijuana has changed that, it's the only thing that's worked for her, and she doesn't get high, as the component that causes that is removed.

Last edited:
How many deaths annually are attributed to alcohol? Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Give him a break, gotta remember most Americans are only a few generations past this "friendly" "intelligent" and "accepting" group

7533.jpg

...and she doesn't get high, as the component that causes that is removed.

How sick is that, cancer, pain, horrific side effects, even death, all acceptable medically and legally, feeling a little euphoria however, that's only for dissident criminals and must be punished.

Last edited:
Plus the fact that the child may fill up on brownies since they have no concept of the effects of ingesting too much. Even adults are warned not to overdo.
If they even know that there is pot in them...

"Oooh... look, they made brownies! Yummy!"

"Betcha can't eat just one!"

:(

Heck, I was offered some at my HS reunion, in a state where it is not legal, yet.

In case there is any doubt, I am older than the guy in question.

1) What high school did you go to?
2) When is the next reunion?

I think I need to attend the next one.

One is legal, with widespread use. The other is illegal, with much more moderate use. Makes a head-to-head comparison worthless.

Besides, one is illegal.

.... Is it worse than alcohol, I don't know for sure, but I would say more people are killed by alcohol than pot every year.

88,000 deaths in the US annually attributed to alcohol is acceptable, verses ? few attributed to marijuana?

I guess if we can exclude the dead guys muling it across the desert on foot here in the SW, gang wars for territory and drug robberies then alcohol looks much worse. No worries though. The Mexican cartels already saw the writing on the wall for legal weed and have switched gears to increase meth and heroin. One of our local fatal airplane crashes here NTSB listed it on autopsy report, but didn't include it as a factor at the end of the report.

I guess if we can exclude the dead guys muling it across the desert on foot here in the SW, gang wars for territory and drug robberies then alcohol looks much worse. No worries though. The Mexican cartels already saw the writing on the wall for legal weed and have switched gears to increase meth and heroin. One of our local fatal airplane crashes here NTSB listed it on autopsy report, but didn't include it as a factor at the end of the report.
Yah, I think he meant from actually consuming it, not from the issues surrounding the black market (illegality) of it. How many more deaths would alcohol rack up if it were still illegal, and people were smuggling it and dying for the right just to taste it? Dang that seems wrong, doesn't it?

I'd hate the Budweiser truck driver, as he supplies hundreds, if not thousands, of people with this terrible product. Does he hate kids?!?!?

Here we go with the "yeah buts".

"Yeah but alcohol is worse". That's a false comparison, guys. First of all not everyone drinks to get intoxicated. People smoke pot to get high.

Where do we draw the line? Maybe we should legalize and deregulate everything including prescription medication. Leave it up to the 'user' to decide. Good luck living in that world.

"Yeah but alcohol is worse". That's a false comparison, guys. First of all not everyone drinks to get intoxicated. People smoke pot to get high.

Which is also a "yeah, but". Everyone who drinks DOES become intoxicated.

Did you mean to say, drunk?

Because there's different levels of intoxication and a single drink is still intoxicated.

I wouldn't know, but I assume there's also different levels of "high", as well.

Our society pretends there's a "safe" level of intoxication with alcohol for operating motor vehicles, but there really isn't.

Here we go with the "yeah buts".

Where do we draw the line? Maybe we should legalize and deregulate everything including prescription medication. Leave it up to the 'user' to decide. Good luck living in that world.

Yes we should

And we already live in that world, people who abuse/are addicts have Z E R O problems getting their poison of choice, be it gambling, booze, crack, huffing dog poo, whatever.

All you do is criminalize a medical issue some people have, you make "task forces" that are paid for with money stolen out of our pockets, the only people making these things illegal serves are the people who are brought into power or get paid due to the crimes they create, and the true believers, those puritanical nut jobs who believe they need to tell others how to live their lives, those are the ones you need to be scared of.

Yes we should

And we already live in that world, people who abuse/are addicts have Z E R O problems getting their poison of choice, be it gambling, booze, crack, huffing dog poo, whatever.

All you do is criminalize a medical issue some people have, you make "task forces" that are paid for with money stolen out of our pockets, the only people making these things illegal serves are the people who are brought into power or get paid due to the crimes they create, and the true believers, those puritanical nut jobs who believe they need to tell others how to live their lives, those are the ones you need to be scared of.
b717994eb3ba595d98ea7211b73d154f.jpg

Yes we should

Mood altering substances have proven to be detrimental to society. Legalizing any of them is playing Russian Roulette. Maybe some day we'll wise up.

Mood altering substances have proven to be detrimental to society. Legalizing any of them is playing Russian Roulette. Maybe some day we'll wise up.

Well then I guess we have to include coffee. Some folks are in no mood to be spoken to until they've had their morning shot of caffeine. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back