My final 2 solo hours as a student pilot. Where should I go.

Dmitri Scheidel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NorCali.Pilot
I have another 2 hours of XC solo time I need to complete. I'm out of Concord KCCR, and I need one or two last memorable flights. Somewhere north or east preferred, I still need to fly into SFO's Class B with an instructor.

I was thinking KCCR-C83-Crows Landing- to Holllister airport (since that's what makes up half my wardrobe XD)

You could fly over to Texas, but that might be more than 2 hrs...

I had to look up where it is. so it looks like you probably shouldn't go this way ←. so I'd suggest either this way ↑ or this way →.

Go to Placerville.

Also, what's the nonsense about Class B?

Be a PIC and make a decision.
And don't forget your 91.103.

Landing at Crow's Landing may be a bit problematic.

From CCR, a nice cross country of about an hour each way would be Watsonville. Watch out for the TV tower on Loma Prieta. Santa Rosa is also kinda nice, but a bit too close perhaps.

Do your homework. You don't need to go through Class B for ANY destination from CCR, except for SFO itself. Even for San Carlos, you can duck under south of the San Mateo Bridge, and for Half Moon Bay, you can attack from the north JUST offshore at 1400 (or overfly San Carlos).

Even for San Carlos, you can duck under the San Mateo Bridge...

challenge-accepted.jpg

What, are you planning on giving up memorable flights after your checkride? Your quote above sounds pretty ominous!

Enjoy it all! -Skip
Lol. I'm not that gloomy. I was curious of places to go since I've already been to everywhere I wanted to go (within the limits)

Make it interesting and a challenge. Lake Tahoe is 111 NM. That should do it. :D
There are closer challenges, like Angwin and Novato. Both have weird winds. Angwin is on a ridgetop and Novato has a big obstruction under the 45 and a frequent TFR nearby.

I wouldn't recommend either as a student solo unless training there, but they might be useful as dual.

Go to Hollister so you can see what it is all about which will make you wanna re-think your wardrobe choices...

Not sure the caliber of your training out of CCR, been there a few times and could see the CFIs going one of two very different ways.

But I'd check out Las Trancas (17CL), looks like a beautiful spot and a fun little strip.

55nm from CCR

240797c37a.jpeg

Go to Hollister so you can see what it is all about which will make you wanna re-think your wardrobe choices...

Oh do I have memories there. Unless you jump, I'd pass.

Not sure the caliber of your training out of CCR, been there a few times and could see the CFIs going one of two very different ways.

But I'd check out Las Trancas (17CL), looks like a beautiful spot and a fun little strip.

55nm from CCR

240797c37a.jpeg

Umm, that's a PRIVATE strip owned by a cement (limestone) quarry that has gone out of business. There is no way you will get permission, and the weather is worse than Half Moon Bay. It is also very short, obstructed, poorly paved, and CLOSED.

If you want to land with permission on a private unpaved airport, a much better choice is Monterey Bay Academy, CA66. You will get permission from them -- in fact, you already have it if you have never landed there. See their website, and don't go on Saturday per their request.

I went North to Red Bluff. They have a restaurant on the field. Little River is fun, if the weather cooperates and it is easy. There used to be a guy on the board named Rex. He operates a shuttle there and will take you into town.

Umm, that's a PRIVATE strip owned by a cement (limestone) quarry that has gone out of business. There is no way you will get permission, and the weather is worse than Half Moon Bay. It is also very short, obstructed, poorly paved, and CLOSED.

If you want to land with permission on a private unpaved airport, a much better choice is Monterey Bay Academy, CA66. You will get permission from them -- in fact, you already have it if you have never landed there. See their website, and don't go on Saturday per their request.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's shown as a valid airport, not NOTAMed closed, and mearly says phone the owner at 408-413-4156, probably cold also try the manager at 831-457-5025, before landing, BFD..

As for the length, it's plenty long for a 172 or standard issue trainer.

What obstructions? It's on the beach, basically at sea level, not a one way in, one way out canyon with a mountian on one end and ledge on the other lol

Weather wise, a reporting station just 16 miles away, as of this posting is 4,500 broken, 8,000 overcast with 10 miles visibility, and 7kts of wind from the SE.

If you can't handle something like that...

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's shown as a valid airport, not NOTAMed closed, and mearly says phone the owner at 408-413-4156, probably cold also try the manager at 831-457-5025, before landing, BFD..

As for the length, it's plenty long for a 172 or standard issue trainer.

What obstructions? It's on the beach, basically at sea level, not a one way in, one way out canyon with a mountian on one end and ledge on the other lol

Weather wise, a reporting station just 16 miles away, as of this posting is 4,500 broken, 8,000 overcast with 10 miles visibility, and 7kts of wind from the SE.

If you can't handle something like that...

Yup, argue with the guy who has lived there for 20 years.

I give up, James. You know everything.

Especially microclimates. You really understand microclimates in a redwood forest with 3000 foot mountains and an ocean.

There are no weather reporting stations 16 miles from there. The nearest climate-wise is Half Moon Bay, which is 29 miles and overcast at 3500 (with a mountain obscuration AIRMET in the way from CCR). The nearest distance-wise is Moffett, at 23 miles, but it might as well be on Mars.

Gee, I wonder why no one EVER uses that field? In 20 years, I've never seen any aircraft take off, land, taxi, or even be visible on the ramp.

I can not wait until I am on my final 3 leg cross country. Good luck finding a nice route!

Back