changing spark plugs, got a little anti seize on the insulator.

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
cut me some slack. lol. First time doing a full spark plug change. I used permatex anti seize. I realize now that I was going a little heavy. Anyway, I was wiping some of the excess, and my rag must have brushed the insulator. Just wanted to make sure this wouldn't cause a problem.

I also found out afterwards that Lycoming only wants copper based anti seize now. I know people have used the aluminum/graphite blend for years. Any comments on this?

mooney%20spark%20plug_zpsnivytav8.jpg

That insulator will get hot enough that I seriously doubt it will cause a problem. What kind of problem could it cause if it did? I can't think of anything.

I'm just being super paranoid. I just imagined something crazy that I overlooked. I know there are metal flakes in the anti seize, and I didn't know if that would introduce a problem.

yes it can. excessive anti seize, because if its conductive properties can cause arcing. if it runs like it has a fouled plug after that it is probably from the anti seize. clean it well with 100LL and try again. . just a small dab is all you need. as to what to use, a bottle of champion anti-seize will last a lifetime. use what is called for.

bob

I'm just being super paranoid. I just imagined something crazy that I overlooked. I know there are metal flakes in the anti seize, and I didn't know if that would introduce a problem.

The concern is shorting/arcing across the electrode from the anti-sieze.

I have never used Permatex so not sure what is required to clean it off, but I would try to get it clean with varsol or some other solvent before you install the plug.

FWIW; Lycoming put out SI 1042AA on Feb 17, 2015 and that was the first time I saw anything about copper based anti-seize. I've been using Champion graphite based anti-seize for years. I asked a Lycoming rep at their OSH display last year exactly what product(s) should be used and he told me Lycoming is using only Loctite C5-A high temp copper anti-seize in the factory now. The smallest can I could find of that stuff locally will be enough to do spark plugs on my airplane for the next 1000 years.

It won't short to the anti-seize on the insulator. It's insulated. No where for the spark to go.

If you're concerned about it, get some brake cleaner spray and clean it off.

Go to NAPA and buy a 4 oz can of nickel antiseze, the copper stuff that Lycoming likes seems to turn to super glue above 400 degrees. nickel is good to around 1800 degrees. and it is cheaper.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to clean the spot with a little 100LL and see how it runs.

It won't short to the anti-seize on the insulator. It's insulated. No where for the spark to go.

If you're concerned about it, get some brake cleaner spray and clean it off.
Good point about the spark having nowhere to go. All that college chemistry and physics...

Not a big deal since the air gap between the anti seize and ground is much greater than the normal spark plug gap. Path of least resistance will be the normal gap. Had you been more sloppy, it might matter.

Back