England...WTF??

How does this "TV Tax" work with poor people? If you can't afford the license, you can't watch TV and potentially not be informed? ..

[insert snobby British accent] Well we wouldn't want the peasents to know how the kingdom is run.

Correct, no BS coverage with people like Nancy Grace camping outside.

Half my family are barristers and believe me, I have fun with them about wearing those stupid powdered wigs !!

And no coverage of disabled workers protesting the government ether.

This is a bare faced lie. The amount of BS in this thread is as bad as journalists writing about aircraft accidents.

Uhh, so all those videos of a private company getting the police to force their way into private homes with zero evidence, guess they were all paid actors and none of that really happened?

Must be a popular TV series, because there are quite a few of those videos on YouTube

Also lest we forget all the other crap the BBC does, the tons of censorship etc.

PBS is my favorite. I would donate more if doing so would block their pledge drives.

Slow day at home? You're having to reach pretty far to find topics to whine about on the internet.

Little slow, but I just stumbled on those BBC search warrant videos and I was really surprised that this type of thing is going on in a 1st world country, wasn't sure if I was just out of the loop, or if others didn't know as well.

Am I correct in thinking that this British TV license also applies to streaming content on the internet?

Am I correct in thinking that this British TV license also applies to streaming content on the internet?

No, same for the various BBC radio stations, both foreign and domestic transmissions

Little slow, but I just stumbled on those BBC search warrant videos and I was really surprised that this type of thing is going on in a 1st world country, wasn't sure if I was just out of the loop, or if others didn't know as well.

You get finded for driving you car on the road without a current paid tag on your license plate, what's the difference? They pull you over for that.

Actually, yes it does

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/06/bbc_detector_van_wi_fi_iplayer/

You get finded for driving you car on the road without a current paid tag on your license plate, what's the difference? They pull you over for that.

You missed the point.

Drive down the road with a out of date registration, cop gets behind you, sees its out of date, pulls you over, give you a ticket.
This is OK

Cop comes to your door, says he needs you to open your garage and show him that your tags are current, you say you don't even have a car and he has zero proof you own a car, he gets a warrant and forces his way into your house to check your garage, even for all he knows you don't even have a car.

This is NOT ok.

And... It's even worse with the BBC because it's not a crime against the crown/people, it's the BBC, a private company.

Cop comes to your door, says he needs you to open your garage and show him that your tags are current, you say you don't even have a car and he has zero proof you own a car, he gets a warrant and forces his way into your house to check your garage, even for all he knows you don't even have a car.

This is NOT ok.

Well strictly speaking the analogy would be more correct if the cop gets a warrant and then gets into your garage. Inside your garage is a rounded metal box with windows on four wheels with an engine running and this metal box thing looks suspiciously like a car but the homeowner continues to insist that it is not a car.

I just can't have sympathy for this dude. He did it to himself.

Is it a stupid law? Sure. It's just a tax though. We have other annoying taxes here. There is no property tax over there, just a one time stamp tax when you buy a house. If we can trade I'll take their TV license tax and they can have our property tax.

Dude needs to just pay his tax or otherwise at least do a better job hiding his TV watching. LOL

Well strictly speaking the analogy would be more correct if the cop gets a warrant and then gets into your garage. Inside your garage is a rounded metal box with windows on four wheels with an engine running and this metal box thing looks suspiciously like a car but the homeowner continues to insist that it is not a car.

I just can't have sympathy for this dude. He did it to himself.

Is it a stupid law? Sure. It's just a tax though. We have other annoying taxes here. There is no property tax over there, just a one time stamp tax when you buy a house. If we can trade I'll take their TV license tax and they can have our property tax.

Dude needs to just pay his tax or otherwise at least do a better job hiding his TV watching. LOL

Strike and a miss!

Ok, let's say it's the same deal, I have a car in my private garage, which doesn't go on public roads, doesn't need a current tag.

Watch a few more of those videos, unless you're watching their crap you don't need a liscense.

I just finished reading an article that estimates license evaders numbers average about 6-8% of total households. 70% of those being female??!?

Wonder how they came up with that number?

Wouldn't it just be easier to require you to buy a license at the point of sale of a TV, Cell phone or Internet service?? If your going to require it for almost every possible use of a TV then why not? It would cut down on the so called "evaders".

I just finished reading an article that estimates license evaders numbers average about 6-8% of total households. 70% of those being female??!?

Wonder how they came up with that number?

Wouldn't it just be easier to require you to buy a license at the point of sale of a TV, Cell phone or Internet service?? If your going to require it for almost every possible use of a TV then why not? It would cut down on the so called "evaders".

What if you don't want to watch the BBC?

Should we force folks in the US to pay for HBO when they buy a TV?

That guy is bloody dumb. If he had just refused to open the door, the BBC would have gone away. If they had returned with a warrant and bobbies, he could have still refused to open the door. What are they going to do - no guns means no one has to do squat.

This bloke needs to learn the words "no, you may not enter," and he should have repeated them over and over without rationalizing his decision.

Bloody hell.

What if you just buy a big computer monitor and happen to stream stuff on your computer.... and maybe even have a tv tuner on your computer?

What if you don't want to watch the BBC?

Should we force folks in the US to pay for HBO when they buy a TV?
Unfortunately you are required to have it no matter the channel or service. So if you only watch Sky you still have to have a BBC Tv license.

"This applies regardless of which channel you're watching, which device you are using (TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet or any other), and how you receive them (terrestrial, satellite, cable, via the internet or in any other way)."

What if you just buy a big computer monitor and happen to stream stuff on your computer.... and maybe even have a tv tuner on your computer?

Still have to buy one.

"This applies regardless of which channel you're watching, which device you are using (TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet or any other), and how you receive them (terrestrial, satellite, cable, via the internet or in any other way)."

Seems like at that point it ought to be cheaper to just publicly fund the service and let the dozen people in the UK who don't have a TV or computer file for a refund.

I would happily pay that to get commercial-free TV!
Remember 40 or so years ago when the big media heavily campaigned against cable tv? I remember seeing commercials at the drive-in. It was supposed to be the deathnell of broadcast TV. As to BBC TV, I seem to recall they do about the same thing as PBS, which is to advertise in between shows. And I don't care if the ad is for future shows or not, still advertising.

That's just dumb. Only enacted Sept 1 this year... good look with that. They couldn't enforce the old law so don't know how they really intend to implement this. They stage the occasional blitz on evaders but it's a joke.

They obviously never heard of VPN, I watch BBC and Netflix UK all the time.

Actually, yes it does

You missed the point.

Drive down the road with a out of date registration, cop gets behind you, sees its out of date, pulls you over, give you a ticket.
This is OK

They have probable cause if they see an antenna or satellite dish on the house, which most houses in the U.K. have. a TV antenna you can hide in the attic but the dish would be on full view to the world.

Stories of the food alone "boiled beef" makes me never want to go there.

Seriously... black pudding is wonderful, liver and onions, steak & kidney pie.... mouth is watering

They have probable cause if they see an antenna or satellite dish on the house, which most houses in the U.K. have. a TV antenna you can hide in the attic but the dish would be on full view to the world.

If that's "probable cause" in the UK, I really can't consider them a 1st world country anymore.

The fact you considered them a 1st world country before shows you haven't been there.

Indeed I haven't, always wanted to though.

Seems like the people are great, not sure about the government and whatnot though

I'm assuming neither of you consider the US a first world country either, then!

Indeed I haven't, always wanted to though.

Seems like the people are great, not sure about the government and whatnot though

I lived there for 2 years. 2 years of my life I'll never get back. The smaller towns are complete sh*tholes full of worthless scumbags. London and Edinburgh are OK, but outside those (and a few rare exceptions), the country is godawful.

I'm assuming neither of you consider the US a first world country either, then!

It is/was we aren't as far down the rabbit hole as the UK appears to be, but without remembering our constitution and who OUR government works for, we will be there soon

Last edited:
It is/was we aren't as far down the rabbit hole as the UK appears to be, but without remembering our constitution and who outlet government works for, we will be there soon

Probably not too far off the mark; I'd peg the US as barely ahead right now, and with the major issues in slightly different areas.

I lived there for 2 years. 2 years of my life I'll never get back. The smaller towns are complete sh*tholes full of worthless scumbags. London and Edinburgh are OK, but outside those (and a few rare exceptions), the country is godawful.

I try and not take that personally

been there, loved it but ignored the government, politics and the grumblings of the older locals. I focused on the history, sights and even my wife enjoyed the women....

been there, loved it but ignored the government, politics and the grumblings of the older locals. I focused on the history, sights and even my wife enjoyed the women....
That could apply to just about everywhere.

That could apply to just about everywhere.
how do you think I get through my work day? I'm normally the grumpy old man but even at my age of 4...... uggghhh, (in the best Jack Benny style) 39, I find that there are many grumpier folks out there. Especially in my line of work\... ;)

Back