Simultaneous PPL and IFR instruction

GB403

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GB403
American Flyers at SMO advertise the VIP Program where you train for your PPL and Instrument rating simultaneously. Does anyone have experience with this program and/or a similar program at another flight school?

Nope, I probably wouldn't recommend it. It's a lot to chew there tackling both of those for the average student pilot

On the other hand, that's how the Air Force does it, so it can be done.

Last edited:
No way.... You learned to walk before you ran, right? I know I did!

Haven't done it but I don't think it should be too bad. Probably works out to be a PPL then IR sequence that should be pretty manageable if you put forth a little effort.

American flyers trying to cram as much as they can in at SMO before they get evicted? I think they have been served 30 days notice and are stuck in the SMO closure saga.

American flyers trying to cram as much as they can in at SMO before they get evicted? I think they have been served 30 days notice and are stuck in the SMO closure saga.

Yeah...good point. I've been reading about the dilemma. FBO filed claimant with FAA and asked federal authorities for an emergency “cease and desist” order to stop its eviction. I think this issue is going to be tied up in the courts before long until 2023.

Bad idea.

VFR isn't IFR, one isn't easier or better than the other, but they both are very diffrent and deserve separation and respect.

To me this sounds like combining guitar lessons with shooting lessons, guess you could, but it doesn't make a ton of sense.

There are times VFR is a WAAY better choice, and vise versa too.

Don't rush, this isn't a industry where you should take shortcuts.

From a practical standpoint, the "system" is designed around IFR flight. Nothing wrong with ground school integrating the instrument knowledge portion in with the private knowledge portion. Particularly when it comes to navigation, communications, radio communications and airspace.. etc..

The practical portion would still all but certainly proceed through the PP tasks and mastery of ground reference maneuvers and visual flight, then proceed to instrument maneuvers and further training.

Not necessarily anything wrong with "bundling" the curriculum, much in the same way a person going to be a paramedic steps through EMT and EMT-Intermediate (either stepwise, or in an integrated curriculum)...

I will say this.. I did self taught ground for the vast majority of my knowledge, and I had passed my private written before beginning lessons, and had gone over the instrument flying handbook quite a few times before I ever solo'd as private. I found the knowledge useful to have at that level.

From a practical standpoint, the "system" is designed around IFR flight. Nothing wrong with ground school integrating the instrument knowledge portion in with the private knowledge portion. Particularly when it comes to navigation, communications, radio communications and airspace.. etc..

The practical portion would still all but certainly proceed through the PP tasks and mastery of ground reference maneuvers and visual flight, then proceed to instrument maneuvers and further training.

Not necessarily anything wrong with "bundling" the curriculum, much in the same way a person going to be a paramedic steps through EMT and EMT-Intermediate (either stepwise, or in an integrated curriculum)...

I will say this.. I did self taught ground for the vast majority of my knowledge, and I had passed my private written before beginning lessons, and had gone over the instrument flying handbook quite a few times before I ever solo'd as private. I found the knowledge useful to have at that level.

Quite different then the EMT-B/-I etc.

You're building on the same skills to go from BLS to ALS

But with VFR and IFR it's a different skill and a different way to fly.

The system isn't built around IFR, you'll notice most planes have Windows, and your charts and landmarks, rivers, etc.

Mine was a combined private/instrument course. Doable but can't recommend it. Primarily because you must know all the private and instrument knowledge for the oral and also need to maintain private PTS standards while learning and practicing instrument flying (which requires more time and more $$ to stay proficient). I realized the impact of the combined test requirements about 3/4 thru the course.
The combined oral was about 5 hours. The practical was 3.3 on the Hobbes. Along with log book reviews, flight plan reviews, preflight, it was two full days with some delay days in between due to weather and equipment problems.
I wanted the instrument rating and had the same thought - that is how the military trains their pilots. May be a similar concept but...not the same.
It eventually worked out ok but, if I could do it over again, i would get the private and then instrument. Keep it simple. In hindsight, there is also a lot of valuable experience in those 50 hours of cross country/PIC time required for IFR, which are not required for a combined course.
Of course, this is one person's story. YMMV.

Good explanation FlyingJ, from someone who actually did it. :thumbsup:

Mine was a combined private/instrument course. Doable but can't recommend it. Primarily because you must know all the private and instrument knowledge for the oral and also need to maintain private PTS standards while learning and practicing instrument flying (which requires more time and more $$ to stay proficient). I realized the impact of the combined test requirements about 3/4 thru the course.
The combined oral was about 5 hours. The practical was 3.3 on the Hobbes. Along with log book reviews, flight plan reviews, preflight, it was two full days with some delay days in between due to weather and equipment problems.
I wanted the instrument rating and had the same thought - that is how the military trains their pilots. May be a similar concept but...not the same.
It eventually worked out ok but, if I could do it over again, i would get the private and then instrument. Keep it simple. In hindsight, there is also a lot of valuable experience in those 50 hours of cross country/PIC time required for IFR, which are not required for a combined course.
Of course, this is one person's story. YMMV.

Wow I didn't realize they could combine the PP and IR checkrides. Sounds intense.

In the book The Killing Zone the author describes this program and its benefits. I can see where a pilot on a commercial track or even one who know he or she wants to use their plane to travel would benefit.

I know from my perspective, I would have enjoyed this kind of training but alas, I was Part 61 all the way and did just fine...

Back