Real world numbers for a Vans RV-9

IMG_3440.JPG IMG_3782.JPG Hi Dave,

No worries about a CS prop being too nose heavy on a -9A. On mine, I've got a FP Catto 2-blade on an IO-320-D1A and a light Plane Power alternator/Skytech starter, and with most tail-heavy cg (reserve fuel, two 200-lb. bodies) I need to limit baggage to 80 lb. to stay within the range...that's only 20 lb. shy of max. If I decide I need to carry more, I might consider a weighted prop crush ring or somesuch.

It is a sweetheart of a plane; Vso of 39 KIAS, and on a recent trip to Phoenix I was doing 148 KTAS at a fuel burn of 6.7 gph. The biggest adjustment from previous planes I've flown (172, DA-20, Cherokee) is that it will float forever down the runway if you don't get power out very early. Also, Vfe is 78 kts, so you've got to plan a little when you've been zipping along at 130 indicated to get slowed for the pattern. I like 70-75 KIAS in the pattern, and low 60s over the fence on final.

There are lots of guys that have built them with glass panels, but they're slow to reach the used plane market. One will come along, I'm sure. When I built mine, I was adamant that I'd use steam gauges, but ultimately, a glass panel solution was cheaper than new steam gauges. I went with the GRT Sport SX and love it! Got a couple of "heritage" gauges for backup and a whiskey compass for nostalgia too.

Last edited:
My wife and I spent 2.5 years building our RV-9A. We have been flying it for about 15 months and almost 200 hours.

It is an incredible plane. It is a blast to fly, and handles like a sports car. It loves to fly up high, I usually cruise at between 9-15,000 feet.

I have an IO-320 with a Hartzell constant speed prop and dual p-mags. I can cruise at LOP at right at 150knots TAS and 7.0 GPH.

It will carry my wife and I, full fuel and 100 pounds of cargo and still climb st 1000fpm in the summer in Texas.

I have a dual screen G3X touch with a GTN650 for IFR ops.

-Dan

The Harmon rocket may start from an rv-4 kit but it is NOT a vans aircraft. It has been said if you call vans and tell them you want to buy the parts to build a rocket they will not sell them to you. You have to tell them you just want to delete certain parts. It's a liability for vans and they try to distance themshelves from it as much as possible.

Bob

View attachment 46686 View attachment 46685 Hi Dave,

No worries about a CS prop being too nose heavy on a -9A. On mine, I've got a FP Catto 2-blade on an IO-320-D1A and a light Plane Power alternator/Skytech starter, and with most tail-heavy cg (reserve fuel, two 200-lb. bodies) I need to limit baggage to 80 lb. to stay within the range...that's only 20 lb. shy of max. If I decide I need to carry more, I might consider a weighted prop crush ring or somesuch.

It is a sweetheart of a plane; Vso of 39 KIAS, and on a recent trip to Phoenix I was doing 148 KTAS at a fuel burn of 6.7 gph. The biggest adjustment from previous planes I've flown (172, DA-20, Cherokee) is that it will float forever down the runway if you don't get power out very early. Also, Vfe is 78 kts, so you've got to plan a little when you've been zipping along at 130 indicated to get slowed for the pattern. I like 70-75 KIAS in the pattern, and low 60s over the fence on final.

There are lots of guys that have built them with glass panels, but they're slow to reach the used plane market. One will come along, I'm sure. When I built mine, I was adamant that I'd use steam gauges, but ultimately, a glass panel solution was cheaper than new steam gauges. I went with the GRT Sport SX and love it! Got a couple of "heritage" gauges for backup and a whiskey compass for nostalgia too.

What a beautiful airplane...I would love to have something like that some day...my dad has wanted an RV9-A for years...maybe in the next decade we will build/buy one.

Do go to the VAF site that was referenced earlier.

Don't get hung up on 6 not being pre-punched. You're not building it and a good pre-buy will identify any issues.

Do give some thought to the difference in the height of the stabilizer. There's plenty of fodder there.

6 and 7 you can do some aerobatics. Not so with a 9.

I'm FP 3-blade Catto on a 160hp O-320. My CG is fine with 2-up from full fuel to running on reserves. I clamp my baggage at 50# which is okay since I'd rather ship stuff ahead than try to jockey it in to the baggage compartment. (my front end is rather light, Composite prop, O-320, no vacuum system, no mags)

What a beautiful airplane...I would love to have something like that some day...my dad has wanted an RV9-A for years...maybe in the next decade we will build/buy one.

Thanks...I really appreciate the compliment. It's an amazingly versatile plane...looks racy and does close to 200 mph but lands like a trainer with those big flaps. I hope you and your dad get one. :):)

Thanks...I really appreciate the compliment. It's an amazingly versatile plane...looks racy and does close to 200 mph but lands like a trainer with those big flaps. I hope you and your dad get one. :):)

Your welcome! Yea I hope so too...

Many people have no idea how to measure and report performance. It begins with being able to accurately interpret engine power, which can't be done without both MP and RPM, plus corrections for density altitude. Then you have to accurately determine TAS at that setting. Too often you see " I was running 2500 rpm and the GPS was showing 160 knots". That information alone is almost worthless.

Van's site shows real world performance figures. If I was looking for an RV, I'd expect it to be within a couple of percentage points of the factory numbers for the airframe and engine combination.
Why would that be worthless? GPS GS is moving across the land. I understand about the variables you mentioned, but GS.

Why would that be worthless? GPS GS is moving across the land. I understand about the variables you mentioned, but GS.

IAS and TAS are good data. GPS Ground Speed means nothing. How fast can a donkey cart get to the bottom of a hill? Check the GS. Don't worry about the height of the hill or the curvatures of the road, that cart be movin'.

Because without correction for winds aloft, GPS speeds don't give you meaningful information.

Back